Rumour Pies 2011 Official Trade Rumour Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

lose Goldsack (I think he'll request a trade) [COLOR=red said:
....can't lose Goldy, we have no other mature mobile talls....and yes I know his delivery ain't any better than Clokey's old man....[/COLOR]and retain Davis I'll suggest our 2012 GF team as follows.

Macaffer, Cloke, Didak (seems fair, Caff to rove to the wing)

Krakouer, Tarrant, Beams (Taz was at the crossroads playing forward, now a defender and should stay there. Also, he's a deep leading goal square full forward and will never be a CHF. Must have Dawes here)

Thomas, Pendlebury, Pearce (Lovely centre line, why do you think the Pearce deal may happen? Would be great to have pace through the centre)

O'Brien, Reid, Shaw (Easily the best in the League)
Toovey, Brown, Davis (Maxy...?? Have never seen Tooves down for so many weeks in a row)

FOLL: Jolly, Swan, Ball
INT: Dawes (LEIGH BROWN ROLE), Wellingham, Sidebottom, Fasolo

*Dick, Blair, Wood, Buckley, McCarthy, Johnson, Keefe and Young will be great depth

I think Wood might force himself to No 1 Ruck next year (with due respect, if Wood does end up the No 1 Ruck for the Pies, then we really are struggling.....he just ain't got it to be there in a No. 1 team) and I think Dick will probably be close to Best 22 if he remains fit. I also prefer Goldsack to Toovey (not potting Toovey just think Goldy is a better footballer) but I don't think the club agree Both very different, (but surely Tooves has been carrying some injury for the past six or so weeks). Also think Goldsack will request a trade as I said before unless he gets some assurances from Bucks that he sees him as best 22.

Please see quotes in red.....

Ok I finally have something meaningful to contribute to this thread from a rumour sense :D

Koby Stevens wants out of the west and intends to return to Melbourne. And you guessed it the team apparently associated with him is Collingwood.

The stories are currently rife on the Weagles board in there trade talk thread. IMO cost dependent he'd be quite the handy pick-up if we're able to get it done.

Don't know who'd you give up, but you're going to get a gun player for very cheap. Really didn't want to lose him, it hurts A LOT more than Ebert leaving.

You guys are going to love him.

Koby Stevens, yes please. If we're losing Toovey or Maccaffer perhaps they could be involved with this deal somehow. I don't want to lose our guys but if that's the way it is, we have an opportunity to get back our loss and probably more.

Yep West Coast board going nuts with the Koby Stevens story.

I remember rating him as a junior, then he slipped a bit, but was still at 20-something pick..

He has seemed to struggle to break into the WC midfield, but from what I've heard (very little tbh) his WAFL form has been decent, will probably need a WC fan to fill us in on that...

Having seen some of the commotion unfold I'd say the rumour is more than likely crap, along the same lines as the Beams talk.

However if the word on the street is true I think Buckley would make a decent play for him (due to the previous relationship the two had at the AIS academy) and considering the Clarke and Elliot deal isn't done yet I'd be willing to offer pick 25 and maybe work with WC on the rest.

I believe other clubs would offer more than just 25 i.e Essendon would surely offer 19 as they're desperate for mids of any description and Carlton would certainly offer 22 to bolster their inside stocks.

For those that are willing to disagree that a relative unknown is worth a first rounder consider this. He was pick 20 in a stronger draft, was a top 5-10 prospect that year before injury hit, has 2 years of development into him, is a nice size (187cm and 83kg) and finished top 10 in the Sandover medal this year.

Stevens is an inside mid from what I've read, which makes us a very unlikely destination.

Yeh makes no sense.

Perhaps we may be trying to involve Macaffer/Toovey into a potential deal but I can't see why at this point.

talk over on the Weagles board suggesting a swap for Wellingham.

Tell 'em they're dreamin'...

Koby Stevens was drafted as a tough inside midfielder and after being the no 1 tackler at the 2009 afl under 18s championships - source 2011 Afl Prospectus :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stevens is an inside mid from what I've read, which makes us a very unlikely destination.

I would have thought Geelong exposed our lack of inside grunt on GF day (L Ball aside). An extra big body like K Stevens would be handy.

A midfield of Corey, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman, Kelly and Ling tore us to shreds just under a week ago. Each of them would be considered an inside or at worst a 50/50 mid and Pendles was emphatic with his assertion that their big bodies wore us down in his article the day after the GF.

Big bodies only become a problem if the player isn't able to spread from the contest effectively or if their skills aren't up to scratch. Stevens (now that he's over injury concerns) fits the bill in that regard so we could do worse than bring him into the fold. Especially if the rumours are true that Macaffer is seeking a move west.

Ok I finally have something meaningful to contribute to this thread from a rumour sense :D

Koby Stevens wants out of the west and intends to return to Melbourne. And you guessed it the team apparently associated with him is Collingwood.

The stories are currently rife on the Weagles board in there trade talk thread. IMO cost dependent he'd be quite the handy pick-up if we're able to get it done.

Well if MaCaffer and Toovey go the the Eagles that I would think someone like Stevens and Stevenson would be part of the Trade

A midfield of Corey, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman, Kelly and Ling tore us to shreds just under a week ago. Each of them would be considered an inside or at worst a 50/50 mid and Pendles was emphatic with his assertion that their big bodies wore us down in his article the day after the GF.

I don't know that what Pendles writes in a day-after article in the HS should be taken as gospel. We actually won the clearances, the I50's were fairly even...and this is on a day that 2 of our best 4 mids were poor (i.e. Ball & Swan). The only real difference between the sides was that their forward line was working really well, whereas ours was awful all day with the exception of a couple of arsey goals by Cloke and some clever crumbing by Krakoeur.

We already have inside mids moonlighting as forward flankers, unless we're getting Bartel or Kelly or similar I don't think it's a great idea. I'd much rather add some forward-line speed; that's Geelong's one significant advantage over us.

Well we are Link to Eagles Lewis Stevenson and Koby Stevens

Then it looks like MaCaffer,Toovey and Davis might go back west and could be part of the Trade for them.

Stevenson sounds like a HBF/Wing type and Stevens could be younger Version of Luke Ball and I know that Hine was very keen on Stevens in 09 when he was Draftable

I don't know that what Pendles writes in a day-after article in the HS should be taken as gospel. We actually won the clearances, the I50's were fairly even...and this is on a day that 2 of our best 4 mids were poor (i.e. Ball & Swan). The only real difference between the sides was that their forward line was working really well, whereas ours was awful all day with the exception of a couple of arsey goals by Cloke and some clever crumbing by Krakoeur.

We already have inside mids moonlighting as forward flankers, unless we're getting Bartel or Kelly or similar I don't think it's a great idea. I'd much rather add some forward-line speed; that's Geelong's one significant advantage over us.

We were absolutely pantsed in the contested ball 185-154. Of the 108 tackles that we laid I think maybe 60 of them stuck and it was a recurring theme in the last month of the season. The bigger bodied opposition midfielder's continually shrugged off our tackles. It was no secret that the best mid's throughout the finals had the main advantage of a big body.

Also Bally had probably his best game against Geelong since he came across with 18 possessions, 11 tackles (all of these stuck lol) and 9 clearances. I reckon giving him more of a helping hand in there will not only help the team in the bigger games, but also give him a chop out in the hope of extending his career that little further.

Look at it this way we all see something in Josh Thomas. The hope is he can come in and make an impact next year possibly making a spot in the best 22 his own in 2013 and beyond. Well in Stevens we get a more talented and much bigger version of Thomas.....

Well in Stevens we get a more talented and much bigger version of Thomas.....

More talented based on what? 7 senior games? Puh-lease!

Sure, he may go on to have a better career than JT in the future, anything can happen. BUT don't feed me this rubbish about being "more talented" when there are no facts to back this up.

Josh Thomas hasn't had the opportunities to string it all together mostly due to injury and the strength of our senior side. In 2010 he was not going to get a game when we had experienced senior players who couldn't get a game. He was a first year player.

In 2011, his season was cut well short with a foot injury (iirc). He managed to get back and play a handful of games in the twos and starred.

Not sure if I posted this earlier or just thought it-What are people's thoughts on Wellingham playing down back in a Leon Davis role rotating through the midfield? Are his skills up to it? Or do we lose too much of his ability to find goals?

Leon Davis said last night on the IBAWT show at the Copeland that he was heading back to WA in a few days to talk to his family about his future at the pies and that he wouldn't come back if he wasn't 100% commited to going on for another year.

I actually wouldn't be suprised if he decided to move back to WA. iirc his family were the ones that were trying to get him back to WA. (?)

Either way, in trade week we need to look at some small, quick defenders which fill Leon's role because if he stays it would probably only be for one or two more years.

We were absolutely pantsed in the contested ball 185-154. Of the 108 tackles that we laid I think maybe 60 of them stuck and it was a recurring theme in the last month of the season. The bigger bodied opposition midfielder's continually shrugged off our tackles. It was no secret that the best mid's throughout the finals had the main advantage of a big body.

I don't disagree with wanting to get bigger (you can find a thread I started on this a year or two ago, actually) but I do disagree that we need more inside players.

You mentioned Chapman, for example, who's a classically outside player. But he looks like a boulder and in finals, when outside players get less space, he can still win the ball and be effective.

Look at it this way we all see something in Josh Thomas. The hope is he can come in and make an impact next year possibly making a spot in the best 22 his own in 2013 and beyond. Well in Stevens we get a more talented and much bigger version of Thomas.....

I don't have a hope that he can make an impact next year unless we have injuries, nor in 2013 really. Again, I just don't know where this extra inside mid would play. I guess the obvious answer is in Wellingham's spot, but is Stevens really a guaranteed upgrade on Wellingham?

Not to mention we already have a very talented inside mid playing on the HFF in Beams, and another less talented inside mid playing in the pocket in Blair.

Lining us up against Geelong, we have:

Pendles - Selwood
Swan - Bartel
Ball - Kelly
Thomas - Chapman
Wellingham - Corey

I'm very happy with all those with the exception of Wellingham, who I imagine might be replaced by Beams as soon as next year.

More talented based on what? 7 senior games? Puh-lease!

Sure, he may go on to have a better career than JT in the future, anything can happen. BUT don't feed me this rubbish about being "more talented" when there are no facts to back this up.

Josh Thomas hasn't had the opportunities to string it all together mostly due to injury and the strength of our senior side. In 2010 he was not going to get a game when we had experienced senior players who couldn't get a game. He was a first year player.

In 2011, his season was cut well short with a foot injury (iirc). He managed to get back and play a handful of games in the twos and starred.

Lol do you actually base a players talent level on what they produced in the first 2 seasons of their career? If that were the case you'd say that players like Heath Shaw, Luke Shuey, Scott Thompson, Aaron Sandilands, Paul Chapman and the big one Dane effing Swan are talentless spuds because all produced similar numbers in their first couple of seasons.

The fact of the matter is that the draft, for the most part, is a talent assessor what you're looking for is the most talented player at the pick you have. The fact that Stevens went 55 picks higher than Thomas (despite injury concerns) says it all really.

Finally how do a handful of games in which a player "starred" at VFL level compare to a top 10 finish in the Sandover medal?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/claremont-midfielder-luke-blackwell-wins-2011-sandover-medal/story-e6frg243-1226141272652

Seriously Stevens has plenty of talent and by the sounds of things you haven't actually seen him play.

Lol do you actually base a players talent level on what they produced in the first 2 seasons of their career? If that were the case you'd say that players like Heath Shaw, Luke Shuey, Scott Thompson, Aaron Sandilands, Paul Chapman and the big one Dane effing Swan are talentless spuds because all produced similar numbers in their first couple of seasons.

The fact of the matter is that the draft, for the most part, is a talent assessor what you're looking for is the most talented player at the pick you have. The fact that Stevens went 55 picks higher than Thomas (despite injury concerns) says it all really.

So you obviously base a player's talent level on the position they were taken in the draft.

Hmm, how does that theory go when comparing or assessing a young Dane Swan who was selected at pick 58!

Harry O'Brien in the rookie draft? Ditto Wellingham?

A draft number only reflects their junior talents and there are always "sliders" for one reason or another. Means s**t once they have to replicate it against men.

Says it all really...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back