Game Day Hawks v Pies official practice game - Thursday March 2 @ 5:10pm - UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the hundreds of thousands of other meatheads that do these things, no.
Absolutely, but none of those meatheads are AFL footballers who have had the issues surrounding them Ginnivan has. He’s literally the most talked about 19yo in the history of the game and predominantly not for his footy. There’s probably never been a greater enigma to enter the system in the past 25 years.

Last edited:
I’m no lawyer, but I would imagine the AFL are only required to implement strategies to reduce risks they could reasonably be expected to be aware of at the time.

This isn’t like big tobacco knowing the dangers of smoking and suppressing them to sell more cigarettes and deliver more nicotine.

Research on concussion, post-concussive syndrome, CTE… it’s evolving now in “real time”. I don’t think a class action of footballers from the 80’s would stand a snowflake’s chance.
I think that in a sense it’s both similar and correct that it’s not like the situation with big tobacco and most likely at some point big pharma with the opioid crisis. I think where it becomes an issue similar to big tobacco is the damage. For instance I’m pretty confident I’ve got CTE from multiple concussions as a teenager and if there’s a time in the near future it can be diagnosed I wouldn’t be surprised if most collision sport competitors are found to have it (I’m not expecting that outcome it just wouldn’t surprise me). With the nature of how quickly it’s evolving and todays society in general a class action of some description is probably inevitable. I also totally agree that individuals from the 80’s are wasting their time.

FWIW I’m not sure if you saw the follow up posts, but that scenario I mapped out was particularly doomsdayish.

I’m no lawyer, but I would imagine the AFL are only required to implement strategies to reduce risks they could reasonably be expected to be aware of at the time.

This isn’t like big tobacco knowing the dangers of smoking and suppressing them to sell more cigarettes and deliver more nicotine.

Research on concussion, post-concussive syndrome, CTE… it’s evolving now in “real time”. I don’t think a class action of footballers from the 80’s would stand a snowflake’s chance.
I think there'd be a period of time whereby you'd expect clubs to have known, but players hadn't been educated by their employer and coaches were still pressuring players with "we need you."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For instance I’m pretty confident I’ve got CTE from multiple concussions as a teenager and if there’s a time in the near future it can be diagnosed I wouldn’t be surprised if most collision sport competitors are found to have it (I’m not expecting that outcome it just wouldn’t surprise me).
From what we think we know about CTE, this is unlikely. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, CTE seems to result from a high exposure to subconcussive traumas, rather than a handful of concussions.

There have been instances of athletes committing suicide believing they are doomed to have developed CTE, only to have their brains studied and they were negative for it. The spectre of CTE has become bigger than the reality.

Markov is a taller better marking version of Noble, reckon these two will be in/out depending on form. Don’t mine Markov, like some players who have played limited games over seasons, just need a run of games and belief, same goes for Frampton.

Still think we are 1x KPB & 1x KPF from a flag.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh Christ. Markov looked like a donkey yesterday.

Had a bit of a nightmare debut... Coaches wouldn't have been overly happy when his first touched he exploded off then kicked the ball 45 metres sideways to no one.
He had about 4 no pressure touches that all went no-where

Murph looks big-bodied these days. Looks as though he could cause as much damage to others as he causes himself.

Feeling good about him.
He looks better and better each year. I suppose it's no surprise given he is getting some continuity in his footy.

But, I'll put my hand up to say I thought we were wasting our time having him on the list. He really surprised me last season and is looking even better this year. Looks alot stronger in the upper body as well.

On balance I think DeGoey should get off… compared to his previous incident which had much more force and was a straightforward one weeker, this time the tackle had less force and less impact. He eased off at the last millisecond.

Put the two side by side, they are not the same.

But he’ll probably go for a week anyway.
I think it'll be a week. It's early in the year when they traditionally crack down harder. It's the action that they want to get rid of. The guidelines allow them to adjust impact by potential rather than actual impact with dangerous tackles. And the millisecond of ease off is irrelevant, as once you've slung someone and they're rotating like that, you've got no control regarding whether their head smashes into the turf.

Hope I'm wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back