Autopsy Pies v Carlton Practice Match 11am, Friday 24 February

Remove this Banner Ad

The most glaring thing for me was Cox's inability to leap when rucking. He is a reactive player, generally letting the other player dictate who is at the ball drop. I don't know if he's worried about contact to his legs or torso but he just wants to provide a minimal amount of involvement if he can't get to the tap.

It means we rely on Cameron A LOT. Cameron had a couple of beautiful taps, one which led to a quick centre clearance to a goal. Lovely work. But over the year that's going to be hard to replicate if he's the primary ruck. Maybe Cox takes over duties when he pushes forward (or down back?).

The midfield domination from Carlton relied heavily on them being in the right places for the ruck. We tweak our centre bounce positioning and running patterns and I think we do better. You just prepare yourself for Cox never winning the tap, much as we did with Guy Richards/Cam Wood in the 2000s.

I'm still very bullish about our chances this year based off a longer tracking of our players across the summertime. TBH I dont think most teams were there for anything other than a good blow-out and a match where they minimised injuries.

The only team I genuinely worry about are the Cats who - albeit against a very weakened Hawks outfit - barely looked to get out of 2nd gear and played with the kind of arrogance that is unfortunately deserved. You'd want to take your chances in Rds 1-6 2023 to get the Ws to bank while some of these teams are weakened.

He's going to cop flack on this board because in general this board wanted a tight checker. Whereas we've recruited someone who will zone off his man so that Moore and Howe are caught in less one on ones.

I'm with the coaches, I think all our tall defenders should be playing helping man defence where they position themselves to compete with their man, but also get across to their teammates man to stop one on ones in the corridor - only allowing them out on the boundary.
What we wanted was a taller Murphy that can take more defensive responsibility not a taller Madgen. Still need to be how he looks defensively when there’s pressure on the ball before making a judgement.

We lost. Season OVER!
No one is concerned with the f’n scoreboard.

The valid concern is players’ inability to impact, when the opposition’s half decent players are going at two rat power, whilst Pendlebury, Moore, Mihocek and co are resting on the sidelines.

The coaching panel will no doubt dissect the team’s performance against Geelong, and track our improvement throughout the season. The development of our younger players will be a pleasurable experience for the supporters.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we wanted was a taller Murphy that can take more defensive responsibility not a taller Madgen. Still need to be how he looks defensively when there’s pressure on the ball before making a judgement.
There are two defensive responsibilities for a tall defender. Cover your man and get across to your teammates man to prevent one one ones. We got a bloke who looks like he'll do the latter ok and take his share of clunks in the process. I'm happy with that. It helps protect Howe and Moore from additional one on ones, like they'd get with a lock down type and results in less dangerous ground balls for us to defend. We weren't going to get the complete package at that price. Hopefully he can improve his one on one work - but he won't have to defend a huge number of them the way Howe and Moore play, particularly if we can keep pressure on the ball

There are two defensive responsibilities for a tall defender. Cover your man and get across to your teammates man to prevent one one ones. We got a bloke who looks like he'll do the latter ok and take his share of clunks in the process. I'm happy with that. It helps protect Howe and Moore from additional one on ones, like they'd get with a lock down type and results in less dangerous ground balls for us to defend. We weren't going to get the complete package at that price. Hopefully he can improve his one on one work - but he won't have to defend a huge number of them the way Howe and Moore play, particularly if we can keep pressure on the ball
When sides played against Zac Dawson they’d seek to leave him one out, against his direct opponent. Teams have done this for over a century.

When sides played against Zac Dawson they’d seek to leave him one out, against his direct opponent. Teams have done this for over a century.
Yes. Rarely happens anymore. The other defenders don't let themselves get suckered away to leave someone one out regularly anymore.

Not poor recruiting as he is a low cost player (3rd rd) who can back up ruck, be ok up forward and is transitioning into a very good key defender.
At this stage Moore is only player who can play on the 200cm plus key forwards if the Frampton move comes off we are better off.
Cost Is probably better measured by salary these days. Just because of salary cap management being a big issue.

Agree if he does become the defender that we all hope for. The OP spoke about moving Moore to full back so that Frampton can rebound…inferring that his defensive side is not as good. If that is the case then I’d say it’s not good recruiting. You have to move Moore to a less impactful position to maximise the benefit of Frampton.

I don’t expect the full package at the price we paid but I still expect him to improve our defence. I don’t think Frampton playing completely loose allowing his a opponent a free run and jump at the ball too often improves our defence.

We had a defender who tried provide cover for Moore and Howe in the first half of the season and our defence was horrible. When he was replaced by a more defensively orientated player our defensive improved markedly and Moore and Howe where much more effective players. So I don’t agree with your thesis that a lockdown type will expose Moore and Howe to more one on ones.

Imo he actually wasn't horrible in 1v1 contests I have seen Moore beaten far worse in similar scenarios. And no one thinks Moore isn't a gun.

Who do we play this weekend? Who does Frampton get a crack at? I’m looking forward to seeing if he can improve after a week of review and refining with the coaches.

Who do we play this weekend? Who does Frampton get a crack at? I’m looking forward to seeing if he can improve after a week of review and refining with the coaches.
Hawthorn on thursday

No Lewis.. Might play on Koschitze or one of the rucks who is playing up forward. Lynch?

I don’t expect the full package at the price we paid but I still expect him to improve our defence. I don’t think Frampton playing completely loose allowing his a opponent a free run and jump at the ball too often improves our defence.

We had a defender who tried provide cover for Moore and Howe in the first half of the season and our defence was horrible. When he was replaced by a more defensively orientated player our defensive improved markedly and Moore and Howe where much more effective players. So I don’t agree with your thesis that a lockdown type will expose Moore and Howe to more one on ones.

Forward lines aren't as static as they used to be. When Moore or Howe's man is in the dangerous position, if Frampton doesn't sag off his man to help cover the danger area, of course he'll expose them to more dangerous contests and more one on ones.

I get that people want a lock down type, but if you employ one, you are automatically making life a little bit harder for the other defenders. Worth doing if the opposition have only one really dangerous player who they're playing through - St Kilda last year. But I wouldn't go that way with a multi pronged attack.

Frampton will need to learn to body up better when he's on a brute like McKay and that brute is in the dangerous spot. But when someone else's man is in the most dangerous area, he needs to sag off to help out.

Sometimes a kick will be good enough to beat that type of defence and take advantage of the sagging of Frampton or Moore or Howe, but that's why pressure on the ball carrier is so important for us.

Forward lines aren't as static as they used to be. When Moore or Howe's man is in the dangerous position, if Frampton doesn't sag off his man to help cover the danger area, of course he'll expose them to more dangerous contests and more one on ones.
No one is asking him to refuse helping them out, we just want to make sure the balance is right.

I get that people want a lock down type, but if you employ one, you are automatically making life a little bit harder for the other defenders.
I don’t think that’s true as shown with last year when Murphy was introduced to the team.

Worth doing if the opposition have only one really dangerous player who they're playing through - St Kilda last year. But I wouldn't go that way with a multi pronged attack.
Even a multipronged attack I think you need a someone more capable of locking down on a key forward to give Moore and Howe more favourable matchups. I’d look at the Sydney match for example.

Frampton will need to learn to body up better when he's on a brute like McKay and that brute is in the dangerous spot. But when someone else's man is in the most dangerous area, he needs to sag off to help out.
Agreed

Sometimes a kick will be good enough to beat that type of defence and take advantage of the sagging of Frampton or Moore or Howe, but that's why pressure on the ball carrier is so important for us.
I don’t think relying on pressure for the full 120 minutes is a sustainable way to play 25 games so it’s also important we learn how to defend when there’s less pressure.

Having now watched the game, I was most disappointed with our rucking abilities. Cox was ineffective, it’s going to be real challenge this year.

The senior and established players didn’t get out of first gear as you would expect.

I thought Ryan and Hill did some nice things. IQ looks like he’s going to take that next step.

Like Cox a kick behind or ahead of the play, is an effective interceptor on the wings I think because the opposition can’t set up to block him, or push him under the ball, he gets to jump at it more freely. He gets so poorly mistreated in the forward line.

My fears were somewhat realised with Frampton, he doesn’t appear to be defensively minded or equipped. Didn’t appear to show any sort of aggression or want to kill the ball in the air, showed a lack of awareness at times with ball in hand as well. The latter may come as he builds chemistry with his team mates. You might say it was a practice match, but he’s a new guy and he needs to prove his worth to the team…he’s fighting for his spot!

Johnson is in the same boat but worse, he’s so far off round 1 contention.

Hawthorn on thursday

No Lewis.. Might play on Koschitze or one of the rucks who is playing up forward. Lynch?
Frampton was recruited for the big bulls. I think you’ll find he will only play when the oppositions has a big FF, otherwise we go for a more flexible back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back