Autopsy Pies v Carlton Practice Match 11am, Friday 24 February

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched the whole game, so please correct me if I'm mistaken.
But did Frampton play on McKay all game long? If yes then he had 3 kicked on him. All in the first quarter.
Mckay ended the game with 3 only didn't he? Moore did pretty well on Curnow. For those 2 to only get 4 goals between them is a good day I'd have thought. However I haven't watched all the 2nd half yet. I may never. It's a practice match & it really shouldn't be taken too seriously.
We got killed in the clearances, killed. If you are getting killed in clearances there’s not much defenders can do…, add to that Moore didn’t play the 2nd half. It’s insane people writing him off after all that and it being a practice game. McKay made Moore look vfl lvl last year, kicked like 5 goals on him

Agree with this. Even with a depleted squad, blues were all over us. Some people need to realise that we are a predominantly slow and old team now. Relying on pendles, Mitchell, sidey, Adams and Lipinski to transition the ball will slow us down a lot, and be cut off easily or bring extra pressure to players with ball in hand = fumbling and skill errors. Eg pendles going backwards to noble who was mowed down, dinky handballs or kicks by sidey, with players swarming. Meanwhile Saad is able to put on the jets, break lines and cut through our pressure forwards easily. This is where I was looking for Q to step up and act as our QB, but he was hardly sighted. And Maynard has also been down lately. Cannot expect John noble to be our only pacey, rebounding, smaller to med player. Not sure what Q’s issue is lately, but he was quiet in the intra as well, after looking so good preseason, and teasing as All aus potential.
Something seems to be down with the system, with Nick changing his role, and players being switched in and out of roles with injuries to Howe and Moore, and new players like markov and Ryan being fresh off the boat. Cohesion has suffered as a result.
yes it’s a PS game, but they’ve had all summer to iron these things out, and the season proper is literally one game away.

Think it was a big wake up call to our first team to have the bigger and quicker blues mids and rucks / forwards remind us what afl footy will look like, rather than having the second team of Bianco, Murley, Richards, WHE and Oscar steene applying the pressure at training.
How can players be "down lately" after the first practice match? Are they moonlighting in the NTFL? And of all the players, you highlighted Q who by all reports has had a ripper preseason?!

I think you're expecting something from Frampton that he's not. If we recruited him to body up it's a mistake. If we recruited him to work in our zone that may work for us.
Ideally we exchange observations and learn, and don’t try and rubbish observations. This is in my view an astute response to my post. In the spirit of constructive dialogue, I accept the observation but just think we want an old fashioned KPD craftsman who can do what Murphy can do but be 6cm taller . I don’t think we want a giant who only wants to play zone but I think that is what we have. If I was Murphy I would not be happy if Frampton took my spot on that performance , but Murphy as an in between size like Goldsack, will always have it harder. Without anyone knowing what Charlie Dean could have brought to the table, my bet remains, far more than Frampton. No-one should be shot on one performance, it’s just that I hated that he never engaged bodies with Mc Kay, allowing the latter to fly freely for marks. It also meant he was blocked easily. I also did not see an ability to spoil easily as Rough Dunn and Maxy always did. I do very much hope I am wrong and don’t mind the cheap gamble in trying him.

The Usual Suspect limped off.
Kelly
No he didn't. Not in the game. Clearly was fine. There was talk something happened in the warm up, but when someone mentioned it to me .. I'm like no? he is out there hasnt missed a second of game time.

Murpy with a rolled ankle. There was talk something about sidebottom but think he was okay

Not too worried although I would have hoped to see a bit more from Feathers Mitchell in the first two hit outs.

we didn’t give up much which is good but it’s very possible that he’s going to be nothing more than depth if Adams gets injured.

Need to figure out clearances. 16th in the comp isn’t going to cut it. We need to be at least in the middle of the pack.

Ideally we exchange observations and learn, and don’t try and rubbish observations. This is in my view an astute response to my post. In the spirit of constructive dialogue, I accept the observation but just think we want an old fashioned KPD craftsman who can do what Murphy can do but be 6cm taller . I don’t think we want a giant who only wants to play zone but I think that is what we have. If I was Murphy I would not be happy if Frampton took my spot on that performance , but Murphy as an in between size like Goldsack, will always have it harder. Without anyone knowing what Charlie Dean could have brought to the table, my bet remains, far more than Frampton. No-one should be shot on one performance, it’s just that I hated that he never engaged bodies with Mc Kay, allowing the latter to fly freely for marks. It also meant he was blocked easily. I also did not see an ability to spoil easily as Rough Dunn and Maxy always did. I do very much hope I am wrong and don’t mind the cheap gamble in trying him.
Id play Murphy ahead of Frampton regardless of opposition. He's streets ahead...

Look... the main reason I like the recruit of Frampton is he is an extra tall body who will try to play a role, releasing the intercepting guns like Moore, Howe and Murphy. His inclusion may add a year or two on Howes career because I felt like Howe was struggling having to play on the monsters last year. Play Frampton, and sure he will get beaten a few times, but I guess freeing up the interceptors will make up for it.

Frampton didn't impress, but I didn't expecting much. Harsh to judge on just one game, but id prefer if he had a bit more mongrel. Best case it was just a practice match and he will develop and get better as the year goes on. I think there is a place for Frampton and Murphy in the same team.

Work in progress really.

802cacb01112c4107d1d50f3a43820d8.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just finished watching the replay, i see why frampton couldn't get a game at the crows
Yeah getting 3 kicked on you by one of the best key forwards in the game is shameful.

Watched the replay on Kayo while I demolished my old bathroom.
Cheered, drank too much, hated the Preseason strip.
Footies back.
Life is good.

*ing Go Pies!:thumbsu:

This is new territory for Collingwood. McRae's defensive structure is different to what we're familiar with. It's almost entirely zonal and relies on pressure ahead of the ball and intercepting behind it. Frampton fits that style and it's why we recruited him.

It would be better that if the moment called for it, Frampton was better one-on-one, but I don't think it's his go and if people expect it they'll be disappointed.

Dean is a better fit for the lockdown role but he's no good at intercepting and I think may actually struggle to fit into McRaes structures given his playing qualities.

I think the player with the qualities you're thinking of plays for Roos and is a free agent this year.

Last edited:
Id play Murphy ahead of Frampton regardless of opposition. He's streets ahead...

Look... the main reason I like the recruit of Frampton is he is an extra tall body who will try to play a role, releasing the intercepting guns like Moore, Howe and Murphy. His inclusion may add a year or two on Howes career because I felt like Howe was struggling having to play on the monsters last year. Play Frampton, and sure he will get beaten a few times, but I guess freeing up the interceptors will make up for it.

Frampton didn't impress, but I didn't expecting much. Harsh to judge on just one game, but id prefer if he had a bit more mongrel. Best case it was just a practice match and he will develop and get better as the year goes on. I think there is a place for Frampton and Murphy in the same team.

Work in progress really.
Disagree. The reason no one has mentioned Murphy is because he played a bit part in our defence Vs Carlton. Whereas Billy is tasked with a key position. Much higher expectations and remit. And he’s up for it.
Need people to get behind him, as he is determined to become a pivotal player in our makeup, and he has the tools to take down some big names, and make us better.
I am still bullish about his abilities, and will continue to back him to help us become a better team.

Floreat pica

Floreat Billy Frampton

Disagree. The reason no one has mentioned Murphy is because he played a bit part in our defence Vs Carlton. Whereas Billy is tasked with a key position. Much higher expectations and remit. And he’s up for it.
Need people to get behind him, as he is determined to become a pivotal player in our makeup, and he has the tools to take down some big names, and make us better.
I am still bullish about his abilities, and will continue to back him to help us become a better team.

Floreat pica

Floreat Billy Frampton
Imo it was disappointing Murphy didn’t get a chance to show what he can do when given more defensive responsibility.

If you do that then it’s poor recruiting. Moore is an AA CHB, on good coin…why would you recruit somebody else to play that critical position and then move Moore to FB where he can’t use his strengths to impact as consistently. If Frampton can’t hold down FF, then it’s Kelly in for mine.
Not poor recruiting as he is a low cost player (3rd rd) who can back up ruck, be ok up forward and is transitioning into a very good key defender.
At this stage Moore is only player who can play on the 200cm plus key forwards if the Frampton move comes off we are better off.

He's going to cop flack on this board because in general this board wanted a tight checker. Whereas we've recruited someone who will zone off his man so that Moore and Howe are caught in less one on ones.

I'm with the coaches, I think all our tall defenders should be playing helping man defence where they position themselves to compete with their man, but also get across to their teammates man to stop one on ones in the corridor - only allowing them out on the boundary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back