Autopsy Pies v Carlton Practice Match 11am, Friday 24 February

Remove this Banner Ad

Frampton was recruited for the big bulls. I think you’ll find he will only play when the oppositions has a big FF, otherwise we go for a more flexible back 6
Not sure on this, because cohesion is critical in the backline. Given Frampton is quite mobile, I suspect he’ll hold down the spot regardless of the opposition.
Until he plays badly, it’s his spot IMO.

Not sure on this, because cohesion is critical in the backline. Given Frampton is quite mobile, I suspect he’ll hold down the spot regardless of the opposition.
I agree.
And this practice match will be about playing our round 1 side getting cohesion with the group.

Not sure who comes out. The back 6 I like is

Maynard, Murphy, Howe
Daicos, Moore, Quaynor

Don’t think Frampton is ahead of Murphy. Hence I think Frampton plays against blokes like the King brothers, Hawkins and T Lynch.

Our defensive structure worked very well last year given we conceded only 11 goals against on average over the season. Pretty darn good. Fly now seems focused on improving our intercepting and attacking opportunities from the backline.
For these aspects to improve Frampton, already a decent interceptor and attacking kick, needed to work on his one on one game freeing up Moore and Howe to utilise their intercepting and attacking abilities.
Murphy, already a good structural and one on one defender, has been working on improving his offensive capabilities when playing his role.
I think we’ll be fine regardless of who we select out of Murphy / Frampton.

Last edited:

Maynard, Murphy, Howe
Daicos, Moore, Quaynor

Don’t think Frampton is ahead of Murphy. Hence I think Frampton plays against blokes like the King brothers, Hawkins and T Lynch.
Its murphy or frampton. The coaches have said this. They're fighting for the same spot. Unfortunately.
Murphy did only come into the team once Roughy retired.

AFL Collingwood v Carlton: Tom De Koning ‘scary good’ as Nick Daicos shines​

It will be an uncomfortable watch for Blues fans if this unsigned tall plays like he did in their trial. Plus, Nick Daicos impressed in a new role. See ratings for every player

Glenn McFarlane and Harper Sercombe

4 min read
February 26, 2023 - 6:08PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

[PLAYERCARD]Daniel McStay[/PLAYERCARD] impressed during his first outing as a Magpie. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

Daniel McStay impressed during his first outing as a Magpie. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

It’s hard to believe there were some people questioning Collearly play to secure Lions forward/ruck Dan McStay during stages of last year.
They would have changed their tune if they had been at Ikon Park on Friday as McStay launched his career in black and white with three goals and a strong performance.
He spent most of his time forward and looked sharp in the absence of Brody Mihocek, who is recovering from a sore back.
They could provide the Magpies with a good double act this season, which could yield more goals and a greater attacking profile this season.

How Collingwood's AFL-listed players performed​

Ratings by Glenn McFarlane
1. Pat Lipinski - Started half forward but worked his way into the contest through the midfield
2. Jordan De Goey - Took the first centre bounce and was dynamic through the midfield as well as competitive when he rested forward. Looks in good shape this preseason
3. Isaac Quaynor - Looks almost the finished product now, having put on some extra strength over the pre-season. Appears set for another big year off half-back.
4. Brayden Maynard - It’s going to take some time getting used to Bruz running around in No.4, but he hit the contest as hard as ever. Showing great on-field leadership now.
5. Jamie Elliott - Caused the Blues’ heartache in Round 23 last year. A mix of forward and midfield roles in this practice match, at times even isolated deep in the goal square.
6. Tom Mitchell - Eased his way into his first game in black and white, playing through the midfield without being spectacular. He’s going to make a real difference to the Pies.
7. Josh Daicos - Took up his usual wing role and worked hard to make an impact.
9. John Noble - The Magpies’ backline looks rock solid and Noble plays his up and down role well, distributing off half back.
10. Scott Pendlebury - Season 18 from the former Magpies’ skipper looks like being all the others - he's still bloody good. Rotated between mid and half back in a solid first half before being rested at half-time.
11. Dan McStay - Very impressive start in black and white for the former Brisbane forward-backup ruckman. With Brody Mihocek out, he stepped up and performed well with three goals. No one should be doubted why the Pies courted him now.
13. Taylor Adams - Solid return for the Magpie midfielder who spent some time forward. He kicked the Pies’ first goal and then added another later. Importantly for someone who has had so many recent injury issues, he seemed to get through OK.
14. Darcy Cameron - Took another positive step towards proving his fitness for Round 1 after his recent injury setback. Played mainly in attack, leaving Mason Cox to do the early rucking.
16. Ed Allan - Watched from the sidelines in the first half but looked lively enough on the wing when he was injected into the game after half-time. Good size and looks at home on a wing. It won’t be easy winning a spot, but he is pushing hard for an early round debut.
17. Billy Frampton - Tough early initiation when he was assigned Harry McKay in the first half, conceding some early goals. Went into the ruck in the last term.
22. Steele Sidebottom - Typically strong performance on the wing early before being crunched and having the wind taken from his sails. Sat out the second half along with Pendlebury.
23. Bobby Hill - The former Giant already looks at home in the Pies’ forward mix and seems a certainty to play in the Round 1 clash with Geelong. Kicked a nice goal in the final term with his teammates coming in to congratulate him. It won’t be his last in black and white.
24. Jakob Ryan - Sat out the first half of the game but was brought into the game after half time at half-back. The Pies won’t rush him, but they are happy with his early progress.
25. Jack Crisp - You always know what you are going to get with the dual Copeland Trophy winner - he just gives effort no matter what sort of game it is.
26. Reef McInnes - If his body stands up (which has been his biggest challenge so far), he will play more senior footy in 2023. Looked lively in attack, most notably with a great set-up pass to McStay, as well as a well-deserved late goal. A chance for Round 1 if things pan out well.
28. Nathan Murphy - Subbed out of the game with strapping on his foot which the club will monitor.
30. Darcy Moore - Marshalled the defensive troops well as usual, steadied things up down back before being subbed out at half-time. Tracking well for Round 1.
31. Beau McCreery - Laid some trademark brutal tackles in the old manner of Carlton-Collingwood suburban clashes. His pressure makes others taller in attack.
32. Will Hoskin-Elliott - Spent time on the wing and half-back, and gave some much needed run.
35. Nick Daicos - Started on the bench but it wasn’t long before he was out there in the middle. Played on-ball and through the wing. A class act.
38. Jeremy Howe - One of Collingwood’s most important players. Was very good in the air and on the ground.
40. Ash Johnson - Spent the first half watching from the sidelines before being brought into the game after half-time.
46. Mason Cox - Had to do the bulk of the ruck work with Cameron and McStay playing forward. He had his hands full early on with Tom De Koning, but gradually worked into the game.

MOVING MAGNETS

Magpie assistants Hayden Skipworth and Scott Selwood will have their work cut out with the midfield magnets this season - the Pies’ 2023 on-ball brigade will be a revolving one if Friday’s practice match is anything to go by.

Jordan De Goey and Nick Daicos will predominantly play through the middle this season, with cameo roles in attack and half-back respectively.

That much was evident almost from the get-go, albeit Daicos started the match on the bench before being thrust into the contest early.

It means someone like tenacious Magpie Taylor Adams could ease his way into 2023 with some extra forward stints, as he showed against Carlton, kicking two goals.

Adams will rotate between mid and forward, as will others including Pat Lipinski and Jamie Elliott, while Scott Pendlebury (who sat out the second half) will be used mid and half-back.

Adams is a competitive beast who loves to be at the cut and thrust of the contest, but his injury issues in recent seasons means he needs to be eased back.

He has only kicked four goals across the past two seasons in the AFL, but booted two in the first half of this practice match, including the first of the game.

RECRUIT WATCH

Suspended Magpie Jack Ginnivan sat in the stands and watched on as the man who will take his spot in Round 1, former Giant Bobby Hill, proved dangerous in Collingwood’s attack.

Hill looks a certain Round 1 starter, having shown lightening speed on occasions and kicked a goal in a sign he has already found his feet in the Collingwood forward line.

Tom Mitchell was solid in the middle for the Magpies.

The Magpies’ No.1 draft pick Ed Allan played the second half of the game and will push for early selection this year. He is a good size and showed some good signs on the wing.

beacon
beacon
beacon

They’ll still have Cameron and possibly Root-a-galah
My guess is that the Cats will play both Ceglar and Stanley - they'll interchange from the forward pocket as they'll want someone to ruck in the forward half (like Hawkins does), allowing Stanley/Ceglar to stay a kick behind play. If both these talls are in for the Cats, then I expect Frampton to play - wonder if he'll get the job on Cameron and allow Moore to take the resting ruck.

Is it just me or is Murphy overrated on here. He had only 4 possessions in both our finals losses last year and had goals kicked on him mainly by Gary Rohan from what I remember. Frampton to be given a go for me though I am not convinced he is the answer.

Is it just me or is Murphy overrated on here. He had only 4 possessions in both our finals losses last year and had goals kicked on him mainly by Gary Rohan from what I remember. Frampton to be given a go for me though I am not convinced he is the answer.
He played some awesome footy last year. Courageous as they come. The first half of that final was a disaster on all levels. I rate him

This is new territory for Collingwood. McRae's defensive structure is different to what we're familiar with. It's almost entirely zonal and relies on pressure ahead of the ball and intercepting behind it. Frampton fits that style and it's why we recruited him.

It would be better that if the moment called for it, Frampton was better one-on-one, but I don't think it's his go and if people expect it they'll be disappointed.

Dean is a better fit for the lockdown role but he's no good at intercepting and I think may actually struggle to fit into McRaes structures given his playing qualities.

I think the player with the qualities you're thinking of plays for Roos and is a free agent this year.
I'm only going on what was said when he was being considered for a recruit, because I've never seen him play, but I understood that Dean was an interceptor as well. I agree with you on our current defensive methods. It was a good approach last year. I hope it goes around again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm only going on what was said when he was being considered for a recruit, because I've never seen him play, but I understood that Dean was an interceptor as well. I agree with you on our current defensive methods. It was a good approach last year. I hope it goes around again.
I think he won the Medal at VFL level as a FB.
Intercepting listed as one of his strengths as well.

He played some awesome footy last year. Courageous as they come. The first half of that final was a disaster on all levels. I rate him
Courageous as they come for sure and was one of the reasons last season was turned around when he came into the side. However his finals were very poor and it’s probably why they are looking to replace him in the best 22 for this year.

Maynard, Murphy, Howe
Daicos, Moore, Quaynor

Sadly Murphy will be the one that goes.
They will play Frampton for as long as he performs- changing constantly as you’re suggesting is highly unlikely.

How many games did we lose with Murphy in the back line?

He added a dimension there,that built great confidence amongst those around him and in so doing was a vital cog in our defensive strength.

He could do with less fearlessness.
True mate although the best players in history mostly carried this trait.
He makes others around him walk taller. McRae wants all his 22 playing like this.

Ken Hunter, Paul Kelly, Jono Brown. Stupidly courageous players are more loved than Daryl Braithwaite at Moonee Valley
Lol
The list just keeps going on and on.
Peter Dean, Gavin Brown, James Hird, The Joker Voss, Bucks used to take on Carey and show zero fear.
The Scott twins. It's footy not ballet.

Braithwaite was a Collingwood supporter. Wore the jumper to a couple of concerts.
I preffered the Skyhooks as did most of the boys.
Girls liked Sherbet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back