Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are talking players who never got there because of injury I would definitely have to nominate Anthony Morrabito. Big unit, sublimely skilled and as fast as the wind. Could have been an all time Freo great but ended up with only a handful of games and 3 ACLs in 3 years. One of the true hard luck stories I can recall.
Absolutely. Played more than a handful of games though. He pretty much played his entire first season. He had a pretty good final too.

I saw his last game for Peel on telly. Looked a million bucks for the short time he was on but got injured by an innocuous hip and shoulder.

I reckon if his dad played in today’s era with its demands of professionalism you would have seen him walk away and not return also
Wouldn't have been the only one.

Wasn't the legend that Paul Van Der Haar would go out partying, than drive his panel can to Windy Hill. Players would thump on the side of the van to wake up for training the next day.

Rhys Palmer instantly came to mind but he's already been mentioned.

I'll throw in Justin Sherman as a left field choice.

The two big ones for me are Nakia Cockatoo and Daniel Menzel. Both looked to be generation players; such a major shame they were injured so badly.

Cory Gregson, shame.

Remember being pumped for Darcy Lang when he scored his first goal in front of a home crowd at K Park, thought he was going to be something.
Yes, I agree. Didn't think they would be elite, but thought both had the potential to be 150-gamers. Still a bit weird they fell of the cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Rowell…..still time

Very harsh on a bloke that was drafted in 2020, has had a serious injury and has already shown tremendous potential.
Was he drafted in 2020 or 2019?
The way he exploded in 2020 prior to injury, he looked phenomenal.
Now coming up to his 4th season and hasn’t looked anything close to being a star of the game.

But as I said he ‘still has time’.

Have not read them all but has Justin Sherman had a mention?

Daniel Wells

He had a brilliant career and was an excellent player, but I do not consider him to be elite (at least not consistently elite). Injuries hurt his mobility and tank and he was sometimes maligned (both fairly and unfairly) for questionable efforts during games.

Was absolute silk though.

Jake Stringer. Talent in spades, he just doesn't have the drive of the real upper tier of players.

Stephen Hill

He turned out the be a good player and all but I though he was going to dominate the comp

Not all of them I thought would be elite but i thought they’d be better than they were haha.
From Melbourne:
Brad Miller, Luke Tapscott, Jay Kennedy Harris, Jordan Gysberts

From other clubs:
I thought Nakia cockatoo would be one of the best players in the comp.
I thought Sydney stack would be top 3 small forwards in the Comp at one stage.
Jake Stringer
Kieran Harper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back