Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

That's would be pointless, as judging by his playing style there are three options

1) Jurrah had never been taught how to be defensive,
2) he didn't want to listen to the coaches,
3) he was unable to understand the coaching he received.

Of the three options of course he will say it is option one.
The coaches would most likely go with option two.
I assume it's a combination of 2 and 3.

Probably need to confirm it with one of his teammates instead.

English is Liam's 6th Language and still to this day has limited English capabilities.

Flash Davey tried to help with directions but he only speaks English himself

Jaidyn Stephenson
Troy Menzel
Trent Potential

James Worpel. Thought he would at least get to top 50 players in the league by now. Still time for him, but not a good last couple of years.

Mitch Thorp was one also that just fizzled. The guy was predicted to be the next Dermie.

English is Liam's 6th Language and still to this day has limited English capabilities.

Flash Davey tried to help with directions but he only speaks English himself
I've read a lot about Liam Jarruhs's background and the community that he came from, and it's hard for us to comprehend the cultural gap between where he came from and AFL footy.
But to say his English was too limited to communicate with coaches is just bullshit.

James Worpel. Thought he would at least get to top 50 players in the league by now. Still time for him, but not a good last couple of years.

Mitch Thorp was one also that just fizzled. The guy was predicted to be the next Dermie.

Ahh Mitch Thorp, the guy we took when Joel Selwood was still available. I know of one modern day Hawk legend who was furious when Thorp was drafted instead of Selwood.

I've read a lot about Liam Jarruhs's background and the community that he came from, and it's hard for us to comprehend the cultural gap between where he came from and AFL footy.
But to say his English was too limited to communicate with coaches is just bullshit.

It's facts

You do realise the video you posted is nearly 10 years after he left MFC?

Ahh Mitch Thorp, the guy we took when Joel Selwood was still available. I know of one modern day Hawk legend who was furious when Thorp was drafted instead of Selwood.
Thorp was one I liked.... I did think it was weird your boys selected him when ya have Franklin and Roughead but

It's facts

You do realise the video you posted is nearly 10 years after he left MFC?
Your quote; "English is Liam's 6th Language and still to this day has limited English capabilities"
I posted a vidoe of him speaking perfect English 5 years ago......

Just stop pushing lies.

It seems lots of videos have conveniently been deleted. The interview with Eddie Mcquire is the only episode from that show that is not available to view online. The DeeTV one with Russell Robertson has also been taken down.
He was very shy and his English was not great, but to say he was unable to learn how to play defense because of the language barrier is just up straight-up bullshit.

Your quote; "English is Liam's 6th Language and still to this day has limited English capabilities"

Just stop pushing lies.

It seems lots of videos have conveniently been deleted. The interview with Eddie Mcquire is the only episode from that show that is not available to view online. The DeeTV one with Russell Robertson has also been taken down.
He was very shy and his English was not great, but to say he was unable to learn how to play defense because of the language barrier is just up straight-up bullshit.

Here's another one. He is certainly shy, but speaks decent English. This one from his AFL playing days.

Just stop pushing lies.

Your using Google and i am using direct conversation with him

Mind boggling how blokes just won't accept the fact they are not right in a discussion.

Just stop pushing lies.

Yep look at Dougie Hawkins had English as his first language he might have understood it but bugger all of us could understand him. Lian speaks it a hell of a lot better than Dougie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They said Tom Hawkins was the next Tony Lockett but he's never kicked more than 7 goals in over 300 games.

Your using Google and i am using direct conversation with him

Mind boggling how blokes just won't accept the fact they are not right in a discussion.

To say that they guy couldn't defend because his English was not good enough to understand what was being taught to him is laughable. And there is more than enough evidence to disprove what you are suggesting.

Great talent, but not a disciplined footballer is more likely.

Andrew McDougall at the Eagles. Was talked about as a potential #1 pick for a couple of years and thought it was the steal of the century to get a generational tall forward and home town boy at Pick 5.

Jake Stringer owns this thread. Hyped up every single year and fails to deliver. 2015 and that stretch of 6 or so games in 2021 have been about it. For a guy that was compared to Gary Ablett snr, averaging 1.7 goals a game when you're 10 seasons in, isn't good enough.

Last edited:
Brendon Whitecross 2012 was well on the upward trajectory until his body had other ideas. Another one that springs to mind is the flash in the pan that was Will Langford, man looked like the sky was the limit after 2014 he was phenomenal in that finals series, but he just could never reach the same level and fell off quickly.
What on earth happened to Langford? Injury?

For a young a big-bodied mid, he looked so comfortable at the level early, especially in finals. Seemed the next leader of that midfield.

His regression was very bizarre.

What on earth happened to Langford? Injury?

For a young a big-bodied mid, he looked so comfortable at the level early, especially in finals. Seemed the next leader of that midfield.

His regression was very bizarre.

Let's put it this way, every time he got the ball there was a very good chance he'd turn it over. His disposal made Richie Vandenberg look like Darren Jarman.

Langford was very tough but as a Hawthorn fan, you didn't want him to get the ball.

If this thread's still going in 5 years, I think Isaac Heeney's gonna feature a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back