Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

Not all of them I thought would be elite but i thought they’d be better than they were haha.
From Melbourne:
Brad Miller, Luke Tapscott, Jay Kennedy Harris, Jordan Gysberts

From other clubs:
I thought Nakia cockatoo would be one of the best players in the comp.
I thought Sydney stack would be top 3 small forwards in the Comp at one stage.
Jake Stringer
Kieran Harper
One of these is not like the others

Being an Essendon fan I assume you’re talking about stringer? I thought he’d be better than what he is.. I don’t rate him
Even if I wasn't it would be stark. All those other players have a combined 240 goals. Stringer has over 300. You're listing spuds along with a guy who has shown to be at the very least a good AFL player. Maybe not a star but very good

Liam Jurrah could have been anything.

He was definitely something, just not exactly what I'd envisioned.
Jurrah never had the work rate or desire. Was very lazy defensively.

Sean Charles is the biggest "What If" for me at Melbourne. That bloke should have been an absolute superstar, but injuries cut him down, which I think led. to him getting frustrated and homesick. I remember in Gary Lyon's book he rated David Schwarz and Sean Charles as easily the top two talents he ever saw at Melbourne.

Even if I wasn't it would be stark. All those other players have a combined 240 goals. Stringer has over 300. You're listing spuds along with a guy who has shown to be at the very least a good AFL player. Maybe not a star but very good
I thought he’d be elite and he isn’t? He played okay for the doggies and that’s about it haha
The others may be worse but they all have something in common to me… Didnt become elite or weren’t as good as I thought they’d be and he fits that category for me.

Hunter Clark is still only 23 so hopefully he is a late bloomer, but he needs to have a breakout season soon for how talented he is

Jake Stringer looked like a top 5 player in the comp in 2015

Billings. And ended up turning into a very average player. Reckon he’d go okay in a different team tho.
His first game was very classy, two goals outside 50 if my memory is correct. He just didn't grow at all is his biggest problem I think. Kicking also has hone backwards a bit.

Tom Williams - former pick 6 in the Buddy/Griffen/Tambling/Roughead draft

Incredible athlete - could do absolutely everything except stay on the paddock.

Jurrah never had the work rate or desire. Was very lazy defensively.

Sean Charles is the biggest "What If" for me at Melbourne. That bloke should have been an absolute superstar, but injuries cut him down, which I think led. to him getting frustrated and homesick. I remember in Gary Lyon's book he rated David Schwarz and Sean Charles as easily the top two talents he ever saw at Melbourne.

Jurrah had never been taught how to be defensive

Hard to mold a bloke when all he knew was to take screamers and kick goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are these facts your talking or just your mind convincing you this theory?
He was on an AFL list for 4 years, and did not show any desire to play defense. He had top-level coaches. You say he was never taught defense - "Are these facts your talking or just your mind convincing you this theory?"

I think it's probably up to you to back up your claim that his coaches never taught him to play defense - would be the only player in AFL history, so it's a pretty big call you are making. Would love to see the evidence.

Stephen Hill

He turned out the be a good player and all but I though he was going to dominate the comp
good call, looked incredible in his early years

He was on an AFL list for 4 years, and did not show any desire to play defense. He had top-level coaches. You say he was never taught defense - "Are these facts your talking or just your mind convincing you this theory?"

I think it's probably up to you to back up your claim that his coaches never taught him to play defense - would be the only player in AFL history, so it's a pretty big call you are making. Would love to see the evidence.

When i chat to him on Friday i'll confirm it with you

James Worpel has regressed after looking dynamite early on. He's still young but I think his limitations will stop him from being elite. His ball use is woeful.

For my club (going back a few years) I thought Andrew Wills was going to be a superstar. In the end was more a journeyman.

Clint Bizzell was another I thought had all the tools but didn't really deliver

Bizzell was absolutely sensational for us for a season or two there. So much raw ability.

Remember being really annoyed they traded him (they wanted the pick they used on James Kelly), but more mystifying is why Melbourne never once tried him at half forward/wing where he played by far his best footy for us.

The ten foot high neon light one for any Geelong fan is Nathan Ablett. To this day I'm very confident he would have been a superstar.

Brendon Whitecross 2012 was well on the upward trajectory until his body had other ideas. Another one that springs to mind is the flash in the pan that was Will Langford, man looked like the sky was the limit after 2014 he was phenomenal in that finals series, but he just could never reach the same level and fell off quickly.

When i chat to him on Friday i'll confirm it with you
That's would be pointless, as judging by his playing style there are three options

1) Jurrah had never been taught how to be defensive,
2) he didn't want to listen to the coaches,
3) he was unable to understand the coaching he received.

Of the three options of course he will say it is option one.
The coaches would most likely go with option two.
I assume it's a combination of 2 and 3.

Probably need to confirm it with one of his teammates instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back