PS4 PlayStation 4 News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty decent. Cheapest I've seen was $40 at target.

Not much else worth it in the sale. the sale prices are live on the store but the sale page isnt live yet.

Life is Strange for $15, Alien Isolation for $17 [Again]. most of the other things have been on sale at the same prices before.

Not much else worth it in the sale. the sale prices are live on the store but the sale page isnt live yet.

Life is Strange for $15, Alien Isolation for $17 [Again]. most of the other things have been on sale at the same prices before.

Better quality stuff on there than previous update. Even though I'm burnt out on open world games Ipl probably grab Mad Max for that price.

Alien Isolation and Life is strange have very decent prices.

Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has said that PlayStation boss Shuhei Yoshida has expressed uncertainty as to whether there will be a PlayStation 5.

Lanning made the comments on the Game Informer Show (as spotted by excellently monikered NeoGAF user generic_username), where he said he asked a question about the possible future console ahead of an on-stage interview between the two:

"I said, 'well, what does the PlayStation 5 look like?' and he said 'you mean if'. [...] I said 'are you willing to say that on a stage?' and he said 'yeah, it's an if'."
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/04/20/shuhei-yoshida-reportedly-unsure-if-there-will-be-a-ps5

If this and the Neo stuff are hinting at iterative consoles, count me out.

It's the way things are head, Xbox will do the same, will end up like phones where you have it for 2 years and then upgrade.

I've got both the PS4 and Xbox one and the main reason I choose consoles over PC's is because it gives you the 5+ years assurance and you don't need to spend anything on it other than new games and online. I don't want to be forking out $500-600 every 2-3 years to keep up to date.

It's going to happen, it's the future if gaming. Like so many people have said, tech moves too fast these days and the old 8-10 year console cycle is long gone.
It will be interesting to see how many jump off the console wagon and head in the PC direction.
It would undoubtedly be the final nail in the console coffin. The reasons to choose console are dwindling and if they start charging $500+ every two years just to get a slight upgrade and allow you to play "newer" games, there'll be nothing left. Regardless of how fast tech moves it would be the wrong move.

It would undoubtedly be the final nail in the console coffin. The reasons to choose console are dwindling and if they start charging $500+ every two years just to get a slight upgrade and allow you to play "newer" games, there'll be nothing left. Regardless of how fast tech moves it would be the wrong move.
I'm not saying it's the right move but IMO a 8-10 year cycle just isn't feasible anymore in this tech climate so something has to change. I think Phil Spencer was on the money by heading more towards the PC route and changing components instead of a machine.

At first I was all "angst and woe!" but it's not really a big deal. I don't buy every iPhone, I probably get every second whenever my contract runs out and I upgrade and everything is compatible regardless of the iPhone model (within reason). Spending $400-500 every 3-4, even 5 years isn't a big deal if you can continue to play your older games and newer games still work on the older console version but at a performance hit. Same with graphics cards. I grab every second one which sets me back around $800 each time. If you want to wait to upgrade every second console iteration which would probably be the standard 8 years then that's your decision. I'm sure if you wait a year or two into each new iteration then it will be cheaper again. To upgrade a PC every 3 or 4 years, let's just say mobo, CPU and graphics card, even on a budget you are looking at $800-1000 anyway.

Console developers won't shoot themselves in the foot, they will make it work. PCs will need to go down the Steambox style route if it is to ever be preferred by the average console gamer but then it will just be another console anyway that will require upgrades every 3 or 4 years.

Times are just changing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people do. But ok I'll bite. To split hairs, ok don't upgrade the budget mobo and CPU (as in deadset budget ASRock and entry CPU to get latest features and to not bottleneck your system) and you're still looking at over $600 bare minimum for a new card every 3-4 years which is more than a new console. If you don't think so then you are full of shit and not talking about gaming. Anything less won't even last 3 years beyond that.

Most people do. But ok I'll bite. To split hairs, ok don't upgrade the budget mobo and CPU (as in deadset budget ASRock and entry CPU to get latest features and to not bottleneck your system) and you're still looking at over $600 bare minimum for a new card every 3-4 years which is more than a new console. If you don't think so then you are full of shit and not talking about gaming. Anything less won't even last 3 years beyond that.

Still reckon you're on the more extreme top of the line type of thing here, I upgrade my card every 4-5 years spending $500.

Still reckon you're on the more extreme top of the line type of thing here, I upgrade my card every 4-5 years spending $500.

That's fine but I disagree that is the point of PC gaming just to chug along with an average machine only marginally beyond a console. I only switched to console full time mid PS3 when more and more of my friends did and I got sick of shitty ports yet I still upgrade out of habit. $500 is on par with spending the same on on the speculated console reiterations. Upgrading PC components and running a lounge room gaming box is still beyond the average pleb which is why I think it will still be viable and won't reignite some glorious PC Renaissance.

Just words on a screen so I don't mean to sound like a douche, just 2 cents :)

That's fine but I disagree that is the point of PC gaming just to chug along with an average machine only marginally beyond a console. I only switched to console full time mid PS3 when more and more of my friends did and I got sick of shitty ports yet I still upgrade out of habit. $500 is on par with spending the same on on the speculated console reiterations. Upgrading PC components and running a lounge room gaming box is still beyond the average pleb which is why I think it will still be viable and won't reignite some glorious PC Renaissance.

Just words on a screen so I don't mean to sound like a douche, just 2 cents :)

That's the thing though, my machine still runs the majority of games at high settings and 60 FPS, far beyond what consoles do...

Can someone explain the ps4 deals for me? Life is strange is cheap but when I get to the bottom, it has all 5 episodes for free?

Secondly, there are 3 Metro Redux versions. What does this mean?
If all episodes say free it seems like you've already purchased it in the past.

The 3 versions of Metro Redux are the 'Metro Redux' version which has Metro 2033 and Last Light. The other two are those titles on sale individually. If you want both games you go for the one titled 'Metro Redux'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back