Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
start the year with a simpsons meme.gif

We're back for 2022 and I'm excited for the draft ahead, like last year I expect we'll see a lot of VIC prospects that were previously not spoken about jump up through the early stages of the year. It's a difficult start without much VIC footy last season, but I'm pretty confident in the guys I've got in my top 20 early on, even if there was about 15 others I considered at various points in the top 20.

As a whole, I'm pretty high on this draft class, especially in comparison to last year, with a lot more capable looking tall talent a big factor in that. As I said in last years thread I reckon we're going to see a lot more 200+ cm athletic forwards at the next level over the coming years and this draft is going to give a fair amount of numbers to that group if early signs suggest anything.

As usual, ask away, I'm here to answer questions. Also as usual, Simpsons and Futurama references/ memes are always appreciated

If you want more regular updates on things like general Draft Thoughts and the Games I'm attending (I do Half Time and Full Time updates) for both NAB League Boys and Girls, as well as Champs, feel free to follow my twitter

Rankings
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Rankings to be updated through the year

(14/03/2022)
13.04.22.PNG

(01/05/2022)
01.05.22.PNG

(05/06/2022)
05.06.2022.PNG

(03/07/2022)
03.07.22.PNG

(18/09/2022)
top 50 xx 18.09.22.PNG

(30/10/22)
29.10.22.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
And then just some general tidbits about this years draft;
  • I was fortunate enough to speak to a few higher ups at the NAB league Boys testing day and everyone was pretty unanimous in agreeing that this is a high standard draft year in their minds, and naturally there's a lot of excitement for the talls in this crop
  • This led to clubs being very relucant to part with their 2022 First Rounders which is why we probably didn't see as much pick trading as we expected at the draft
  • The Country and Metro hubs are still 'open' in a sense, they expect to invite quite a few players to trainings when they happen just from them popping up through the season

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
View attachment 1343853
We're back for 2022 and I'm excited for the draft ahead, like last year I expect we'll see a lot of VIC prospects that were previously not spoken about jump up through the early stages of the year. It's a difficult start without much VIC footy last season, but I'm pretty confident in the guys I've got in my top 20 early on, even if there was about 15 others I considered at various points in the top 20.

As a whole, I'm pretty high on this draft class, especially in comparison to last year, with a lot more capable looking tall talent a big factor in that. As I said in last years thread I reckon we're going to see a lot more 200+ cm athletic forwards at the next level over the coming years and this draft is going to give a fair amount of numbers to that group if early signs suggest anything.

As usual, ask away, I'm here to answer questions. Also as usual, Simpsons and Futurama references/ memes are always appreciated

If you want more regular updates on things like general Draft Thoughts and the Games I'm attending (I do Half Time and Full Time updates) for both NAB League Boys and Girls, as well as Champs, feel free to follow my twitter

Oh it is nice to have a cheeky cameo in BigFooty's BEST draft thread 🥳

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Let's crank this.

From an outsider looking in, it seems like this is a draft full of names that won't annoy me.

For me as an individual, this is like 2017.

#TeamWarlord.
For pick one, or Essendon’s first (dream) selection?

I’m interested in what you see as Essendon’s primary need at the draft.

Personally would not have thought mid was a need.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
And then just some general tidbits about this years draft;
  • I was fortunate enough to speak to a few higher ups at the NAB league Boys testing day and everyone was pretty unanimous in agreeing that this is a high standard draft year in their minds, and naturally there's a lot of excitement for the talls in this crop
  • This led to clubs being very relucant to part with their 2022 First Rounders which is why we probably didn't see as much pick trading as we expected at the draft
  • The Country and Metro hubs are still 'open' in a sense, they expect to invite quite a few players to trainings when they happen just from them popping up through the season

Very preliminary but Peter Riccardi son will be playing for the Falcons... any idea if he will be draftable. Any idea on how many Father Sons could affect draft orders this year?

If this a strong year ... are we saying its deep or just strong at the the top. Could we expect that picks in the 30 and 40 could reap quality kids?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Very preliminary but Peter Riccardi son will be playing for the Falcons... any idea if he will be draftable. Any idea on how many Father Sons could affect draft orders this year?

If this a strong year ... are we saying its deep or just strong at the the top. Could we expect that picks in the 30 and 40 could reap quality kids?
Not sure as I haven't seen Osca play, but given he's on a NAB league list he's probably got at least a few traits that are draftable. Don't recall seeing him in the Country U17s trial matches last year so unless he was injured/ not interested he's starting as an outside chance, although everyone would've said the same things about Darcy, Andrew, Owens, etc. this time last year. Off the top of my head Ashcroft, Max Michalanny, Alwyn Davey Jnr are the only two father-sons that are probably in that 'highly likely' to get drafted bracket, even Jayden Davey is highly rated internally at Oakleigh despite the ACL

My interpretation was 'strong' related to the top end given the conversations were about the AFL Academy Squad and Metro/ Country Hubs, but every year there's quality kids taken late on as well, and we'll see plenty of kids put their hand up for draft selection as the year rolls on

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Who are the best small forward options this year? After desperately wanting Rachele last year, we still need an elite small forward
Sheezel would be the standout currently, just got amazing goal sense and X-Factor in the forward half, a little taller than Rachele and its yet to be seen if he has the same impact but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a more valued prospect.

Jacob Konstanty from Gippsland has also shown he can have a good impact on the scoreboard as a small, probably more opportunistic as opposed to creating his own goals

And O'Sullivan I rate pretty highly, especially compared to others, but he's more of a pressure small than a goal kicker

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Who are the best small forward options this year? After desperately wanting Rachele last year, we still need an elite small forward

Sheezel would be the standout currently, just got amazing goal sense and X-Factor in the forward half, a little taller than Rachele and its yet to be seen if he has the same impact but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a more valued prospect.

Jacob Konstanty from Gippsland has also shown he can have a good impact on the scoreboard as a small, probably more opportunistic as opposed to creating his own goals

And O'Sullivan I rate pretty highly, especially compared to others, but he's more of a pressure small than a goal kicker
Id still lean to O’Sullivan as a mid but other potential small forwards would be Nick Sadler who could play a range of roles. Of course the Davey twins have plenty of forward nous and it remains to see what position he plays but Elliott Perkins the brother of Archie has some X-factor.

Back