Discussion Port Adelaide Fans Push To #BringBackTheBars

Remove this Banner Ad

The best solution IMO is to just add the PBs to be our current wardrobe. Minimal change equals minimal conflict, all potential match-ups are solved and as a bonus we look great in all of them. Done.

We don’t need every guernsey to be a Prison Bars variant. Other teams have used two strong yet different designs at the same time anyway (e.g. North stripes/bounding roo, Saints tri-panel/cross) so it’s not without precedent.

I'm not sold that the Bars and the Chevrons can be worn together. For the look and the entire feel of the Prison Bars (and to make all the effort to bring it back worth it) I feel like it should be worn every week, in one form or another.

The Prison Bars and the Chevrons represent two different eras within Port Adelaide's history, it needs to be all in to wearing the Bars each week, or nothing

I'm not sold that the Bars and the Chevrons can be worn together. For the look and the entire feel of the Prison Bars (and to make all the effort to bring it back worth it) I feel like it should be worn every week, in one form or another.

The Prison Bars and the Chevrons represent two different eras within Port Adelaide's history, it needs to be all in to wearing the Bars each week, or nothing

Hey, id happily wear it every week if we could. I think there’s room for chevrons if it’s implemented correctly.

wait since when did the port magpies join the afl?
The Prison Bars is a Port Adelaide jumper. We compete at AFL and SANFL level and we believe we should be wearing it at both levels.

Why? North will be wearing both stripes and the bounding roo next year. Previously they’ve worn stripes and V jumpers together. Hawthorn might be doing the same next year. The Saints have been wearing the tri-panel and either candy stripes or a cross variation in recent years. It’s fine.

Also I think there’s something nice about using the Prison Bars exclusively in their original form. I can’t explain it exactly but it somehow elevates them as something special (for a Port person anyway).

Seeing as I'm a Geelong supporter, I have no real attachment to the Prison Bars and I don't have any emotional attachment to the wharf pylons and the successes the team has had wearing the jumper. But, I'm behind the push to #bringbackthebars - I think you guys have a right to wear the jumper you've been so successful in and have such feelings towards, and because you are one club, you should have one jumper (new hashtag - #oneclubonejumper :think:). Good on you guys for starting up a campaign and getting the supporters involved, couldn't see the Cats doing anything like that.

This is how I would like to see the Bars returned. Traditional at home, minimalist teal on the away and a simple inverse for the clash. Keeps the fans happy (wearing the traditional design eleven times and a very similar design most other weeks) and the AFL happy (sticking with the teal)

View attachment 592051
I like the white clash jumper but that should be the away. Then make the clash jumper with a teal background. Possibly have grey as the pre-season jumper so then we have 4 versions.

Sorry, should have explained myself better. White base, teal bars with black stroke. Not sure where I was going when I said what I designed
I didn't even realise it was you who had answered the criticism about not having something to wear against Collingwood! Total derp moment.

My personal dream kit:

All games in South Australia and finals (except against Collingwood) = Prison Bars

Away games and against Collingwood @ home = current home chevrons

Clash = white, silver or teal chevrons on rotation.
Don’t let the away team decide your jumper. If you’re gonna bring back PBs force the AFL to let you do it properly.

The V's work better for a clash jumper imo because they have a far clearer base colour than the prison bars, particularly if you want to have a number panel on there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't like the idea of trying to placate two separate tangents of history and what, three different jumper designs? Two nicknames?

Would Port Adelaide supporters be angry with an inverse of the Prison Bars as the away strip, so long as you can wear the fully fledged design at home?

Collingwood are right to want them to wear another colour against them, and teal makes sense, but it just seems messy... black and white prison bars is the whole guts of the club's (desired) identity. It's not just the jumper, it's the idea of resuming their history and all that connotes it. You'd want the trainers in black and white, a new logo, the supporters wearing black and white on their scarves... having the teal just feels like a lazy leftover and one of those uncomfortable phase-out periods.

Not to mention it just seems wearing the Prison Bars some weeks and then the chevron the next is at odds. They're both strong, simple looking jumpers that revolve around real clear patterns. Being stripes one week and a big v the next is just too much chunk and it looks clunky. It's like starting a new footy club and you wear hoops one week, but then a sash the next. You're dealing with clear elements that resonate but in doing so, they sort of undermine the other.

I think the current idea is smart: it's timeless and a good balance while also bringing in a reference to the South Australia jumper. But I wonder if there was a better way to do the Power? For example, why didn't they just use sky blue? US sport in the 90s was obsessed with teal the AFL was obsessed with whatever they were doing. But sky blue was the first thing the club ever wore. And, for the 2010s rebrand, I wonder why they didn't go the high rounded circular yoke which they wore a hundred-odd years ago? Do this thing, just replace the bright pink with black.

I wonder how people would react to a hybrid?

Port-Adelaide-Uniform1896.png

This but stop the stripes where the bar would interrupt them. It'd be a *in bold look but you look at the Miami Vice basketball singlets. They're popular. You bring them out against Collingwood just once (if that) a year and you sell a heap. I wonder if you could ever bring out a special jumper every year just to wear at the MCG against the woodsmen?

Surely you accept that playing in the national league, given the climate at the time, meant that we basically had to do whatever it took to get in? Any unwillingness to compromise at that time would have left us akin to the Norwoods and Glenelgs, proud old clubs forever consigned to the second tier. The decision made at the time was that it was more important for Port Adelaide to be playing in the national league than wearing a specific guernsey, and that remains true today, however our place in the national league is no longer under any sort of threat.

So you're trying to argue that Port have worn other jumpers? Okay.

If you're trying to argue that other jumpers might be more important to the club than the prison bars, that's a dumb argument.

Teams wearing similar home colours works in literally every other major sports league in the world, there is no good reason why it couldn't work here apart from meaningless rhetoric. Geelong and Carlton already wear the same colours, for example.

Nobody is asking for us to be called the Magpies, we just want to wear our preferred guernsey, a distinctly different guernsey from Collingwood's vertical stripes, for home games.

As above. I'm not sure why you're talking about dollars, we paid millions of dollars to get into the league. Trying to argue that we "sold out" is ridiculous when we obviously made the correct decision for our football club moving forward.

Our current home guernsey has been around for less than a decade and we've never won a home final wearing it. The SBS guernsey is a 90s monstrosity that was wildly unpopular aside from the premiership, to the point where it was replaced with a generic footy design in our colours designed by a 7 year old girl.

Meanwhile we wore the Prison Bars for something like 90 seasons prior to joining the AFL.

Most importantly, why do you feel so threatened? Nobody is trying to take Collingwood's branding away.

Did it hurt Collingwood when we wore the bars in 2003? In 2007? In 2013 or 2014? I'd have thought Collingwood are a big and strong enough brand that they can deal with another club wearing the same colours in home games without being hurt by it.

Jeez Port fans seem an entitled bunch. We should all have empathy for your history, yet you willingly crap on Collingwood’s history by wearing the PB.

Why was it so important to get in the National league? Cause that’s where the $$$ were. Let’s not forget Port tried to ditch the SANFL and join the AFL before the crows were even contemplated.

Port didn’t care for the proud histories of SANFL clubs, or their long term viability back then, so why should anyone give two toots about your claims to the PB now?

And let’s not forget the recent China debarcle with the Suns. For long term financial gain you bought the rights to a Suns home game. Then demanded the Suns wear a clash jumper even though there was no clash. Why? Because of economic self interest. Ports admin were paranoid that Suns wearing red and yellow would = more $$$ for them and less $$$ for Port.

Now you’ve tried to pull at the heart strings giving me all types of reasons why two teams can co exist with the same colours, similar jumpers and how it works in other countries.

Firstly, Carlton and Geelong are incomparable. Their jumpers look nothing alike. And originally the blues had yellow shoulders. Over time, organically it evolved into the full on navy blues and still no clash with Geelong.

Now what is comparable is North Melbourne having to change their jumper because it clashed with Carlton’s when they joined the VFL in 1925. North had to go to a lighter shade of blue, and have a white V to avoid the clash with the navy blues. So there is precedent for teams entering VFL/AFL having to change.

Second, it’s an 18 team league stagnant comp. No one gets relegated like in European leagues. So comparing it to where say Juventus play Newcastle in champions league, or a local Italian side progresses to serie A is pointless.

Since 1892, Collingwood has only worn a black and white jumper. For over 125 years we’ve taken pride in being the only black and white coloured team in the comp. And as Carlton moved to protect their interests with North in 1925, Collingwood did the same to The Power. Just as the Power did to Gold Coast when they tried (and failed) to maximise their self interests in China.

I can’t speak for all pies fans, but to me it’s important that Collingwood remain the only black and white side. I’m not threatened by it. I just want to uphold our clubs history as the only black n white club on the national stage. It’s just that simple. We own the colour scheme in the VFL/AFL world.

If a team wants to wear a black and white jumper, I say the pies say “sorry boys we own black and white... how’s pink and blue sound?”. People see black n white on an AFL field and either feel love or hate. I don’t believe we can let that simplicity be diluted.

I think it’s appalling Ed let the power wear the PB in 13/14. It means as much to me, as the power wearing PB to you, that Collingwood remain the only black n white side. It’s not about feeling threatened by the power.

Now I can not fathom why, similar to the AFL in 1996 when the teams wore their first jumpers, the Power would not want to wear the first jumper of sky blue and white hoops (geez I’d love to see that worn vs Geelong in 2020) to celebrate the 150th. Despite the love for the PB, it’s not actually 150 years old and it’s still worn every week by the Magpies in the SANFL. The light blue hoops seem more appropriate to me.

Out of curiosity, in 1951, port magpies won a flag in a collingwood magpies jumper which was gifted by Collingwood. Will power fans want to wear a replica of that jumper in 2051 or will that be left to the magpies in the SANFL??

I don’t care what emotional attachment you or your fellow Power fans have for the PB. Just as you clearly don’t care for Collingwoods history, or the fact we are the only team that has always worn black and white.

But your members and administration were not induced or pressured into joining the AFL. You always had the choice to stay in the SANFL. No one forced to create a new entity on the Power and join the AFL.

Port wanted the bright lights of the national stage and the cash that comes with it. And the trade off was, new colours and new nickname. At the time the members said “Yes lucifier, we want the big $$$. Please take our jumper, our nickname and our souls in exchange for coin”. You may not realise it, but the identity and soul of the Port Magpies including the PB were sold out massively so the Power could join the AFL and to reap $$$.

Jeez Port fans seem an entitled bunch. We should all have empathy for your history, yet you willingly crap on Collingwood’s history by wearing the PB.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Collingwood's history. You're inserting Collingwood into Port Adelaide's business here where they don't belong.

Why was it so important to get in the National league? Cause that’s where the $$$ were. Let’s not forget Port tried to ditch the SANFL and join the AFL before the crows were even contemplated.

Port didn’t care for the proud histories of SANFL clubs, or their long term viability back then, so why should anyone give two toots about your claims to the PB now?

The idea that we only joined the national league for the money is ridiculous. We're a not for profit organisation. There are no pockets to line.

And let’s not forget the recent China debarcle with the Suns. For long term financial gain you bought the rights to a Suns home game. Then demanded the Suns wear a clash jumper even though there was no clash. Why? Because of economic self interest. Ports admin were paranoid that Suns wearing red and yellow would = more $$$ for them and less $$$ for Port.

Yep, and ultimately it was futile paranoia, but that couldn't have less to do with this argument.

Now you’ve tried to pull at the heart strings giving me all types of reasons why two teams can co exist with the same colours, similar jumpers and how it works in other countries.

Firstly, Carlton and Geelong are incomparable. Their jumpers look nothing alike. And originally the blues had yellow shoulders. Over time, organically it evolved into the full on navy blues and still no clash with Geelong.

Now what is comparable is North Melbourne having to change their jumper because it clashed with Carlton’s when they joined the VFL in 1925. North had to go to a lighter shade of blue, and have a white V to avoid the clash with the navy blues. So there is precedent for teams entering VFL/AFL having to change.

North had worn a variety of different guernseys in the 30 years leading up to joining the AFL, including blue and white stripes, navy and even a red sash. They also merged with and then absorbed other clubs. They'd worn blue and white vertical stripes as recently as 3 years prior to joining the VFL. It's hardly the same concept.

Second, it’s an 18 team league stagnant comp. No one gets relegated like in European leagues. So comparing it to where say Juventus play Newcastle in champions league, or a local Italian side progresses to serie A is pointless.

Okay, but what about when the Pistons play the Clippers, the 76ers or the Wizards. All where blue red and white in a stagnant competition and all get on just fine.

Since 1892, Collingwood has only worn a black and white jumper. For over 125 years we’ve taken pride in being the only black and white coloured team in the comp. And as Carlton moved to protect their interests with North in 1925, Collingwood did the same to The Power. Just as the Power did to Gold Coast when they tried (and failed) to maximise their self interests in China.

I can’t speak for all pies fans, but to me it’s important that Collingwood remain the only black and white side. I’m not threatened by it. I just want to uphold our clubs history as the only black n white club on the national stage. It’s just that simple. We own the colour scheme in the VFL/AFL world.

If a team wants to wear a black and white jumper, I say the pies say “sorry boys we own black and white... how’s pink and blue sound?”. People see black n white on an AFL field and either feel love or hate. I don’t believe we can let that simplicity be diluted.

I think it’s appalling Ed let the power wear the PB in 13/14. It means as much to me, as the power wearing PB to you, that Collingwood remain the only black n white side. It’s not about feeling threatened by the power.

Ed didn't have a say in whether we wore them in 2013 or 2014. He said no when we asked to wear them in 2003 and 2007 and we wore them anyway. Ed is a strong club president but he doesn't run the competition.

Port have already worn black and white for 100+ years and we've already worn black and white several times on the national stage. Collingwood are doing just fine and haven't had any negative impact whatsoever despite that happening.

Now I can not fathom why, similar to the AFL in 1996 when the teams wore their first jumpers, the Power would not want to wear the first jumper of sky blue and white hoops (geez I’d love to see that worn vs Geelong in 2020) to celebrate the 150th. Despite the love for the PB, it’s not actually 150 years old and it’s still worn every week by the Magpies in the SANFL. The light blue hoops seem more appropriate to me.

This is a silly argument. You're comparing a guernsey we wore for a handful of years to a guernsey we wore for 95 years apart from a few years after the war where we had issues with supply. It's not about the 150 years celebrations, it's about what we're wearing moving forward.

Out of curiosity, in 1951, port magpies won a flag in a collingwood magpies jumper which was gifted by Collingwood. Will power fans want to wear a replica of that jumper in 2051 or will that be left to the magpies in the SANFL??

We might! It's not really relevant to this discussion though.

I don’t care what emotional attachment you or your fellow Power fans have for the PB. Just as you clearly don’t care for Collingwoods history, or the fact we are the only team that has always worn black and white.

It doesn't matter if you care. I have a lot of respect for Collingwood's history but it's quite unrelated to this argument. What Collingwood wear isn't part of the discussion.

But your members and administration were not induced or pressured into joining the AFL. You always had the choice to stay in the SANFL. No one forced to create a new entity on the Power and join the AFL.

Port wanted the bright lights of the national stage and the cash that comes with it. And the trade off was, new colours and new nickname. At the time the members said “Yes lucifier, we want the big $$$. Please take our jumper, our nickname and our souls in exchange for coin”. You may not realise it, but the identity and soul of the Port Magpies including the PB were sold out massively so the Power could join the AFL and to reap $$$.

Again, we're a not for profit organisation. We don't have shareholders. Nobody makes money out of this. You haven't put together anything approaching a coherent argument about how joining the national league is more likely to be about money than about the prestige of playing in the national league, and if so, who is getting this money?

This has absolutely nothing to do with Collingwood's history. You're inserting Collingwood into Port Adelaide's business here where they don't belong.

The idea that we only joined the national league for the money is ridiculous. We're a not for profit organisation. There are no pockets to line.

Yep, and ultimately it was futile paranoia, but that couldn't have less to do with this argument.

North had worn a variety of different guernseys in the 30 years leading up to joining the AFL, including blue and white stripes, navy and even a red sash. They also merged with and then absorbed other clubs. They'd worn blue and white vertical stripes as recently as 3 years prior to joining the VFL. It's hardly the same concept.

Okay, but what about when the Pistons play the Clippers, the 76ers or the Wizards. All where blue red and white in a stagnant competition and all get on just fine.

Ed didn't have a say in whether we wore them in 2013 or 2014. He said no when we asked to wear them in 2003 and 2007 and we wore them anyway. Ed is a strong club president but he doesn't run the competition.

Port have already worn black and white for 100+ years and we've already worn black and white several times on the national stage. Collingwood are doing just fine and haven't had any negative impact whatsoever despite that happening.

This is a silly argument. You're comparing a guernsey we wore for a handful of years to a guernsey we wore for 95 years apart from a few years after the war where we had issues with supply. It's not about the 150 years celebrations, it's about what we're wearing moving forward.

We might! It's not really relevant to this discussion though.

It doesn't matter if you care. I have a lot of respect for Collingwood's history but it's quite unrelated to this argument. What Collingwood wear isn't part of the discussion.

Again, we're a not for profit organisation. We don't have shareholders. Nobody makes money out of this. You haven't put together anything approaching a coherent argument about how joining the national league is more likely to be about money than about the prestige of playing in the national league, and if so, who is getting this money?

How naive are you to think ports move to AFL wasnt based on the misguided belief of financial gain. Port resented SANFL clubs by the late 80’s as they believed they were propping up the league. Hence, when SANFL rejected the idea of buying a operating licence, Port negotiated for a cheaper fee of $1.5m. And for the sweet taste of more coin, your members and board decided to make two teams the magpies of the SANFL and Power of AFL.

To suggest the Power was created for prestige is absurd. Its disengenious. It was the allure of cash not the national stage that brought you in the AFL. It ain’t the other clubs fault you guys struggle for revenue because you found out the “allure” of cash didn’t eventuate into “real” cash.

And as for your arguement about not for profit organisations not wanting to grow revenue and profit??? What planet you on? Collingwood is a not for profit organisation, but it’s good economic sense to grow the brand as far and wide as possible because of the financial windfall. It’s not good to be broke, and it’s good to reinvest profits into state of the are training facilities and training methods to win more flags which, you guessed it leads to more $$$.

And again, I don’t care what happens overseas in the NBA. Teams colours evolved over time. And if you think the Sydney Kings could join the NBA and still retain their colours your deluded. As if Lakers would allow it. They even threatened to sue south Melbourne Hellas for wanting to change their name to Lakers.

To reiterate. What port wears, or any other club wears, is of genuine interest to Collingwood as soon as they want to wear black and white. You say it doesn’t impact Collingwood. I say it does. We take pride in being the only club to have worn B&W for over 125. It’s our history. The moment Port wants to wear B&W it encroaches on our history, and becomes a problem for me (and I’m sure plenty of other pies fans).

What your really saying when you say the Power should wear the PB is Ports history supersedes Collingwood. You can’t be sitting there typing away playing the victim saying “oh everyone respect our history...” but then when someone else says “what about our history?” you close your eyes and say this “isn’t about your history, stop making this about you it’s all about Ports history”. It’s a flawed, entitled and pig headed position to take.

I suggest if you need a fix the PB and magpie history go watch Port in the SANFL. You wanna be in the AFL then embrace the teal and watch the power without encroaching on Collingwoods claim to being the only black and white team in the comp.

Richmond owns yellow and black to me. If Glenelg wanted into the AFL I be saying find new colours. Just as the WCE went for blue and gold (when i bet they really wanted to go the gold and black state colours path).

I don’t understand how you can’t see the other side of the coin on this. Are you seriously trying to suggest, if the Collingwood joined the SANFL you wouldn’t be saying “hey we were here first, you wear new colours with a new nickname cause it clashes with us”.

A perfect “Australian” example of this is the Southport Magpies having to change to the Sharks to avoid a clash with Sherwood Magpies when they joined the QAFL. They’d won premierships in the Gold Coast league for years as the Magpies in stripes. Instead of being dicks about it, Southport forged ahead as a new entity with a new jumper. They’ve never looked back and are as proud and successful a club as Collingwood or Port Magpies. And they now have their own unique brand distinct from all other black and white clubs in the country.

Last edited:
How naive are you to think ports move to AFL wasnt based on the misguided belief of financial gain. Port resented SANFL clubs by the late 80’s as they believed they were propping up the league. Hence, when SANFL rejected the idea of buying a operating licence, Port negotiated for a cheaper fee of $1.5m. And for the sweet taste of more coin, your members and board decided to make two teams the magpies of the SANFL and Power of AFL.

To suggest the Power was created for prestige is absurd. Its disengenious. It was the allure of cash not the national stage that brought you in the AFL. It ain’t the other clubs fault you guys struggle for revenue because you found out the “allure” of cash didn’t eventuate into “real” cash.

And as for your arguement about not for profit organisations not wanting to grow revenue and profit??? What planet you on? Collingwood is a not for profit organisation, but it’s good economic sense to grow the brand as far and wide as possible because of the financial windfall. It’s not good to be broke, and it’s good to reinvest profits into state of the are training facilities and training methods to win more flags which, you guessed it leads to more $$$.

You haven't (and can't) explain why greed is the motivator for joining the national competition. Yes, we have a higher turnover as an AFL club than we would have as an SANFL club, but every single cent of that goes back into the club.

If we wanted to win premierships for fun and be a financial powerhouse of the league, we'd have stayed in the SANFL where we were doing so anyway. We were in a far more stable financial position at SANFL level where we had something like 35% support.

You still haven't explained who benefits financially. The club doesn't, because the higher income is offset by the higher running costs of an AFL club, something that's true for every AFL club bar maybe Collingwood and West Coast.

And again, I don’t care what happens overseas in the NBA. Teams colours evolved over time. And if you think the Sydney Kings could join the NBA and still retain their colours your deluded. As if Lakers would allow it. They even threatened to sue south Melbourne Hellas for wanting to change their name to Lakers.

You argued that teams having the same colours wasn't relevant in soccer because of promotion and relegation, so I gave you a quick example of a stagnant league where 4 teams wear the same colours and now you're changing your argument.

There have already been other teams that have worn purple and gold in the NBA, look at Utah until they changed to navy. It didn't impact the Lakers brand at all. I'd suggest if the Sydney Kings were to join the NBA, the only team with an objection would be Sacramento.

To reiterate. What port wears, or any other club wears, is of genuine interest to Collingwood as soon as they want to wear black and white. You say it doesn’t impact Collingwood. I say it does. We take pride in being the only club to have worn B&W for over 125. It’s our history. The moment Port wants to wear B&W it encroaches on our history, and becomes a problem for me (and I’m sure plenty of other pies fans).

What your really saying when you say the Power should wear the PB is Ports history supersedes Collingwood. You can’t be sitting there typing away playing the victim saying “oh everyone respect our history...” but then when someone else says “what about our history?” you close your eyes and say this “isn’t about your history, stop making this about you it’s all about Ports history”. It’s a flawed, entitled and pig headed position to take.

Your history as a club is not affected by Port Adelaide wearing a guernsey that is already the most famous guernsey worn by our club. Just like Melbourne's history wasn't affected when every other Victorian club adopted the MCG as it's home ground, despite that ground historically belonging to Melbourne.

I suggest if you need a fix the PB and magpie history go watch Port in the SANFL. You wanna be in the AFL then embrace the teal and watch the power without encroaching on Collingwoods claim to being the only black and white team in the comp.

Richmond owns yellow and black to me. If Glenelg wanted into the AFL I be saying find new colours. Just as the WCE went for blue and gold (when i bet they really wanted to go the gold and black state colours path).

I don’t understand how you can’t see the other side of the coin on this. Are you seriously trying to suggest, if the Collingwood joined the SANFL you wouldn’t be saying “hey we were here first, you wear new colours with a new nickname cause it clashes with us”.

I'd argue that there is no point having Collingwood join the league if we're having Collingwood-Lite.

Richmond and Glenelg are different because they have the exact same guernsey design. Port and Collingwood don't.

A perfect “Australian” example of this is the Southport Magpies having to change to the Sharks to avoid a clash with Sherwood Magpies when they joined the QAFL. They’d won premierships in the Gold Coast league for years as the Magpies in stripes. Instead of being dicks about it, Southport forged ahead as a new entity with a new jumper. They’ve never looked back and are as proud and successful a club as Collingwood or Port Magpies. And they now have their own unique brand distinct from all other black and white clubs in the country.

You've just raised an comparison where 2 clubs were able to co-exist wearing black and white in the same league because they had different guernsey designs, which is exactly what this campaign is calling for.

Despite Southport joining from an external league, Sherwood and Southport had a coin toss to decide who would retain the Magpies name, which Sherwood won. If this is the "perfect" example, when is the coin toss for Port and Collingwood? We're not even asking to be called the Magpies.

You haven't (and can't) explain why greed is the motivator for joining the national competition. Yes, we have a higher turnover as an AFL club than we would have as an SANFL club, but every single cent of that goes back into the club.

If we wanted to win premierships for fun and be a financial powerhouse of the league, we'd have stayed in the SANFL where we were doing so anyway. We were in a far more stable financial position at SANFL level where we had something like 35% support.

You still haven't explained who benefits financially. The club doesn't, because the higher income is offset by the higher running costs of an AFL club, something that's true for every AFL club bar maybe Collingwood and West Coast.

You argued that teams having the same colours wasn't relevant in soccer because of promotion and relegation, so I gave you a quick example of a stagnant league where 4 teams wear the same colours and now you're changing your argument.

There have already been other teams that have worn purple and gold in the NBA, look at Utah until they changed to navy. It didn't impact the Lakers brand at all. I'd suggest if the Sydney Kings were to join the NBA, the only team with an objection would be Sacramento.

Your history as a club is not affected by Port Adelaide wearing a guernsey that is already the most famous guernsey worn by our club. Just like Melbourne's history wasn't affected when every other Victorian club adopted the MCG as it's home ground, despite that ground historically belonging to Melbourne.

I'd argue that there is no point having Collingwood join the league if we're having Collingwood-Lite.

Richmond and Glenelg are different because they have the exact same guernsey design. Port and Collingwood don't.

You've just raised an comparison where 2 clubs were able to co-exist wearing black and white in the same league because they had different guernsey designs, which is exactly what this campaign is calling for.

Despite Southport joining from an external league, Sherwood and Southport had a coin toss to decide who would retain the Magpies name, which Sherwood won. If this is the "perfect" example, when is the coin toss for Port and Collingwood? We're not even asking to be called the Magpies.
Everything I could have said and more and said in much better words than I could muster. Well done :thumbsu:

Not sure any club should be able to dictate the colours of another. If they can, then we need to change Melbourne... they’ve darkened their blue steadily many times to the point that it’s now effectively black. Black and red are our colours.

But I don’t really think it’s any other club’s business. You’re obliged to avoid a clash in your away games, but other than that, play on. The suggestion that it impinges on Collingwood’s identity is ridiculous. Absolutely nothing changes for Collingwood. Can’t think of a sport or league in the world that has this weird “only one team can wear this colour” rule.

Not sure any club should be able to dictate the colours of another. If they can, then we need to change Melbourne... they’ve darkened their blue steadily many times to the point that it’s now effectively black. Black and red are our colours.

But I don’t really think it’s any other club’s business. You’re obliged to avoid a clash in your away games, but other than that, play on. The suggestion that it impinges on Collingwood’s identity is ridiculous. Absolutely nothing changes for Collingwood. Can’t think of a sport or league in the world that has this weird “only one team can wear this colour” rule.
Even worse than Melbourne darkening their blue is Carlton going black. Apparently we can call our PB’s navy blue (since Carlton and Geelong clashing is fair game) even if they’re black.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back