Discussion Port Adelaide Fans Push To #BringBackTheBars

Remove this Banner Ad

You were asking for a club that would have a similar story to that of Port Adelaide where one team moves competitions and has to change their colours to join the other competition because the other competition had a team with the colours the team had already.

The answer is Hawthorn. This happened when Hawthorn joined the Victorian Football Association from the Metropolitan Junior Football Association. The first task for the club was to decide on club colours, because their jumper of blue and gold was already taken by Williamstown so a change was required. At a Special General Meeting held on 17 February 1914, a Mr J. Brain proposed brown and gold as the new colours and the motion was carried.

nVQ0E1O.jpg

The above jumpers are what happened. The first jumper was the Hawthorn's jumper of 1913. The second jumper is the Williamstown jumper. The third jumper was Hawthorn's jumper of 1914, their first in the VFA. The last jumper is the modern Hawthorn jumper.

The same story, 80 years apart. One club joins another competition and has to change their colours because their colours are already worn by another club.
While true, Hawthorn had only been wearing that design for 2 years and was their 4th design in their 12 season history. They wouldn't have had a problem with changing again because they didn't really have a real identity yet. Port Adelaide first wore the Prison Bars the year Hawthorn debuted in 1902 through to 1922, then 1928 to 1940 and then finally 1953 to 1996/now

I was thinking the other day; if you're going to go back to bars I'd say a change of moniker wouldn't be too crazy. Maybe something more menacing, embodying the spirit of the PB. Pirates would be what I would go with, Port could be the Raiders of the AFL ;) and as far as I'm aware of there's only one other team in the MLB who call themselves the Pirates so it's fairly unique.

I was thinking the other day; if you're going to go back to bars I'd say a change of moniker wouldn't be too crazy. Maybe something more menacing, embodying the spirit of the PB. Pirates would be what I would go with, Port could be the Raiders of the AFL ;) and as far as I'm aware of there's only one other team in the MLB who call themselves the Pirates so it's fairly unique.
I’d be happy with any of Power, Raiders, Pirates or even having no nickname at all and just being Port.

Port Adelaide Port, sounds good to me
Not quite. Any mercy that right now would say Power would then say “Port” and the full club name would be “Port Adelaide Football Club”
Although Power is still a good name as it shows the powerful club that earned its way into the national league.

Not quite. Any mercy that right now would say Power would then say “Port” and the full club name would be “Port Adelaide Football Club”
Although Power is still a good name as it shows the powerful club that earned its way into the national league.
I thought they made it Power was because of all of SA's power plants and industry at least that's what I was told

I thought they made it Power was because of all of SA's power plants and industry at least that's what I was told
Pretty sure it was taken from a speech by the great Fos Williams. I doubt we’d pick a name that is good for the state on purpose.

From https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/future-direction-sanfl-afl-reserves-pbs.1188391/page-10 thread 17/3/18:

"PORT POWER" appeared on many a banner/flag (partic. the cheer squad) long before our AFL entry (certainly in the 80's, and possibly in the 70's); this might have influenced the choice of nickname/branding

Case in point. From the Port Adelaide Fc est 1870 in black and white thread page 9

SANFL Grand Final 1979. Port Adelaide Capt Brian Cunningham leads his side through the banner before GF against South Adelaide at Footy Park.
468661-679542-pa-cunningham-7590353-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bite. They are a striking, simple design that is very relevant to the Port community.
Too much fuss over a relatively simple jumper.
It’s not necessarily about the design, but the meaning and history it holds with its supporters.
You could say that Essendon’s guernsey is just a diagonal red line. Try telling an Essendon fan to change their jumper.
I'm not saying it doesn't have significance, but the fact that people are still complaining about it, 30 years after joining the competition. The team may be linked to the Port Magpies that have been around for a lot longer, but the current team that is in the AFL is a new identity, so I don't know why it's such a big fuss?
You could argue the eagle head being backwards on our shorts is a non-issue. Most West Coast fans will know the significance of the head always facing east.
On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Honestly did not know that was a thing.

I'm not saying it doesn't have significance, but the fact that people are still complaining about it, 30 years after joining the competition. The team may be linked to the Port Magpies that have been around for a lot longer, but the current team that is in the AFL is a new identity, so I don't know why it's such a big fuss?
Port Adelaide, as one club, should have the Prison Bars at all levels of football (AFL, SANFL, possible AFLW and AFLReserves teams down the road too).

I'm not a fan of different home jumpers in different leagues. Also before anyone says anything, having the 8 year old V jumper at all levels should not be an option.

Port Adelaide, as one club, should have the Prison Bars at all levels of football (AFL, SANFL, possible AFLW and AFLReserves teams down the road too).

I'm not a fan of different home jumpers in different leagues. Also before anyone says anything, having the 8 year old V jumper at all levels should not be an option.
Okay, cool story, I don't disagree with you, I just don't think the PB guernsey is all it's hyped up to be.

Okay, cool story, I don't disagree with you, I just don't think the PB guernsey is all it's hyped up to be.

It’s not just about the design, it’s about what the design represents and how it resonates with the Port Adelaide community and fan base. Chevrons look alright, but they don’t say Port Adelaide.

No different to the wings for West Coast - it’s not just because wings look better than the tri-panel, it’s because the wings are West Coast. It’s our unique design that the club’s history was built upon.

It’s not just about the design, it’s about what the design represents and how it resonates with the Port Adelaide community and fan base. Chevrons look alright, but they don’t say Port Adelaide.

No different to the wings for West Coast - it’s not just because wings look better than the tri-panel, it’s because the wings are West Coast. It’s our unique design that the club’s history was built upon.
This is going around in circles now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going around in circles now.

Well you say the design isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and you don’t understand what all the fuss is about and you’re entirely missing the point of it all. It’s not just about one horizontal bar and six vertical bars - it’s about the significance to the fans of the entire Port Adelaide Football Club - be it the Magpies or the Power.

It’s not just about an aesthetic, it’s about what the imagery of the bars/pylons represent. It represents a century of success and getting to wear the success in the same way VFL clubs have been able to. It represents the area of Port Adelaide.

What if you used the traditional black and white PBs with the number panel, but had teal numbers? Like how North used to have black numbers? Or is that still sacrilege?
The back of the jumper doesn't need changing at all. In fact the back of our current V jumper has the same back to it that the Prison Bars has.

This is all about what's on the front of the jumper.

The back of the jumper doesn't need changing at all. In fact the back of our current V jumper has the same back to it that the Prison Bars has.

This is all about what's on the front of the jumper.
Yeah I know, but I meant it as keeping the teal in some small way without also changing the classic design. I though different coloured numbers wouldn't be too intrusive.

What if you used the traditional black and white PBs with the number panel, but had teal numbers? Like how North used to have black numbers? Or is that still sacrilege?

I reckon we'll probably just avoid teal for the home in the same way we avoid silver.

Like how Gold Coast use blue but only for the away

Give port an inche... Your club decided it’s heritage since 1902, it’s colours, name and jumper meant absolutely sweet FA when it agreed to join the AFL and cave to Collingwoods demands. No black and white jumper.

Before 1902 port wore pink and blue. And from 1902 to 1953 your jumpers varied from prison bars to stripes all the time. From 44 to 53 you wore black and white stripes. In 51 you wore a jumper given to you from Collingwood.

Port fans can bang on about the PB all they want. But it was only worn consistently from 53. And then in 1990 and again in 95 when you agreed join the AFL for cash you agreed to not wear it because Collingwood is the original Magpies and wear black and white stripes.

Imagine if Collingwood and Swan Districts agreed to play in the SANFL. Do you think Port would let em wear black and white stripes? Of course not. And who the hell would Collingwood and Swan Districts think they were joining SANFL and expecting to wear Black White, let alone something that actually resembled the PB?? I wouldn’t even allow them to wear a Southport Sharks jumper.

Imagine Woodville west Torrens trying to join the AFL now and telling wce to suck eggs cause they gonna wear a variation of the winged jumper with green, blue and yellow? Or south Fremantle and North Adelaide telling Sydney they’ll be wearing red and white V?? Its ridiculous. And I’d be telling those clubs to * off and get new colour scheme.

I still think it’s obscene GC SUNS wear the same colour scheme as Fitzroy and the team 70km up the road. Its moronic. Get your own brand and colours.

It ain’t Collingwoods fault ports administration agreed to sell out the heritage for the dollars on offer in the AFL. They agreed to create a new entity without the Magpie moniker and wear an sbs jumper with teal.

Port knew the terms of the deal. Cash at the expense of heritage and the PB, which they’d only been wearing consecutively from 53 anyway.

Why can’t port fans just embrace what they got now. The V jumper is a work of art. Port never actually won a VFL/AFL premiership in the PB. But they did in the sbs. Seeing as the sbs is far more successful than the PB (sanfl flags are like coming 10th in the VFL) perhaps port should go back to the sbs

Give port an inche... Your club decided it’s heritage since 1902, it’s colours, name and jumper meant absolutely sweet FA when it agreed to join the AFL and cave to Collingwoods demands. No black and white jumper.

Surely you accept that playing in the national league, given the climate at the time, meant that we basically had to do whatever it took to get in? Any unwillingness to compromise at that time would have left us akin to the Norwoods and Glenelgs, proud old clubs forever consigned to the second tier. The decision made at the time was that it was more important for Port Adelaide to be playing in the national league than wearing a specific guernsey, and that remains true today, however our place in the national league is no longer under any sort of threat.

Before 1902 port wore pink and blue. And from 1902 to 1953 your jumpers varied from prison bars to stripes all the time. From 44 to 53 you wore black and white stripes. In 51 you wore a jumper given to you from Collingwood.

Port fans can bang on about the PB all they want. But it was only worn consistently from 53. And then in 1990 and again in 95 when you agreed join the AFL for cash you agreed to not wear it because Collingwood is the original Magpies and wear black and white stripes.

So you're trying to argue that Port have worn other jumpers? Okay.

If you're trying to argue that other jumpers might be more important to the club than the prison bars, that's a dumb argument.

Imagine if Collingwood and Swan Districts agreed to play in the SANFL. Do you think Port would let em wear black and white stripes? Of course not. And who the hell would Collingwood and Swan Districts think they were joining SANFL and expecting to wear Black White, let alone something that actually resembled the PB?? I wouldn’t even allow them to wear a Southport Sharks jumper.

Imagine Woodville west Torrens trying to join the AFL now and telling wce to suck eggs cause they gonna wear a variation of the winged jumper with green, blue and yellow? Or south Fremantle and North Adelaide telling Sydney they’ll be wearing red and white V?? Its ridiculous. And I’d be telling those clubs to **** off and get new colour scheme.

I still think it’s obscene GC SUNS wear the same colour scheme as Fitzroy and the team 70km up the road. Its moronic. Get your own brand and colours.

Teams wearing similar home colours works in literally every other major sports league in the world, there is no good reason why it couldn't work here apart from meaningless rhetoric. Geelong and Carlton already wear the same colours, for example.

Nobody is asking for us to be called the Magpies, we just want to wear our preferred guernsey, a distinctly different guernsey from Collingwood's vertical stripes, for home games.

It ain’t Collingwoods fault ports administration agreed to sell out the heritage for the dollars on offer in the AFL. They agreed to create a new entity without the Magpie moniker and wear an sbs jumper with teal.

Port knew the terms of the deal. Cash at the expense of heritage and the PB, which they’d only been wearing consecutively from 53 anyway.

As above. I'm not sure why you're talking about dollars, we paid millions of dollars to get into the league. Trying to argue that we "sold out" is ridiculous when we obviously made the correct decision for our football club moving forward.

Why can’t port fans just embrace what they got now. The V jumper is a work of art. Port never actually won a VFL/AFL premiership in the PB. But they did in the sbs. Seeing as the sbs is far more successful than the PB (sanfl flags are like coming 10th in the VFL) perhaps port should go back to the sbs

Our current home guernsey has been around for less than a decade and we've never won a home final wearing it. The SBS guernsey is a 90s monstrosity that was wildly unpopular aside from the premiership, to the point where it was replaced with a generic footy design in our colours designed by a 7 year old girl.

Meanwhile we wore the Prison Bars for something like 90 seasons prior to joining the AFL.

Most importantly, why do you feel so threatened? Nobody is trying to take Collingwood's branding away.

Did it hurt Collingwood when we wore the bars in 2003? In 2007? In 2013 or 2014? I'd have thought Collingwood are a big and strong enough brand that they can deal with another club wearing the same colours in home games without being hurt by it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back