2nds Port Adelaide vs Centrals - Round 7 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

.... Butch in the 1st qtr potting 'em off the lampshades (old snooker term..on song..couldn't miss),
warmly received too :) with a few sly gibes thrown in ...
Nicely put. There was obvious affection for Butch amongst the crowd though nothing too demonstrative. Didn't stop him copping a bit of physical attention out on the wing near me late in the game. Our guys had their tails up and woe betide any Centrals' player who took possession, even if a mate of theirs.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The signs are definitely not good for Billy's chances of making the grade in the AFL as a ruckman, he is being beaten too easily at the centre bounce downs by some very average sanfl blokes.

He could be a chance as a chf though, the athleticism is definitely there, emphasised by him running at least 20 metres to grab a loose ball and deliver a perfectly weighted kick that he put in front of Eddy, who he didn't have to break stride as he ran from outside the 50 to less than 10 metres from the goal square to collect the ball.

Yes my mates and I were saying the same thing. If he's to make it then chf is the likely role. He can't ruck well enough. Some brain fades still get him but sometimes shows smarts.

Only 21 in the sanfl. Are you OK? It seems odd that you're this much off the mark.

I left my budget in the car, but I think there were 23 players named, including Young and Sharrad, who both played in the early game, which left 21 players, the starting 18 plus the 3 on the interchange.
OK, I missed the earlier game so didn't realise Young and Sharrad had played there. But I'd completely forgotten SANFL teams play one less than AFL.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agreed, Lienert is nowhere near quick enough for a winger, he is a magnificent kick though, that goal he kicked from outside the 50 late in the 2nd term went through post high, and must have travelled well over 60 metres.
He was a bit softly softly a couple of times, particularly on one occasion when took a couple of short steps when going for the ball on centrals forward 50 about 5 minutes before he kicked that goal.
Agree brilliant goal and he is a lovely long kick. His smother was fantastic too. Led to a goal.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can Frampton make it as an AFL player? Doesn't appear to be a dominant ruckman at SANFL level neither does he appear to be an imposing key forward?
Good question. Answer is more difficult. We need him to make it coz hes far more of a natural forward than Trengove. Was disappointed Dougs played as a defender today.

Last edited:

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
Good question. Answer is more difficult. We need him to make it coz hes far more of a natural forward than Trengove. Was disppointed Dougs played as a defender today.

Time will tell but atleast we are all hoping he makes it.

He might end up being a 10 year 70 game player for us as a depth player.

I wouldn't know. I was born in England and didn't come to Australia till 1967, it was on the telly then. The ad was remade in 1990 but with a clean-shaven marshall this time.

Is that why everyone is wearing 67 on their jumpers this week?

In honour of mic59?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As someone that watched billy in u18's it really surprises me we want to make him a ruckman. Undersized and weak in contest. I really like(d) him but really was always going to be forward first then a ruck. Marking hands are fantastic and he's built a tank he's basically Trengove the forward version. Haven't written him off by any stretch but needs a new outlook

So just looked at the best players named in an article on port website. Eddy not named in top 6. F*CK OFF
Pretty annoying that we could simply put Eddy in the AFL side and not only will our AFL structure be better but our SANFL one won't have 4 bloody tall forwards!

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
8a03eaf0181c1bf4556a54d7a681e030.jpg

But John Butchers goal though..

Grandaddy J

All Australian
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
So just looked at the best players named in an article on port website. Eddy not named in top 6. F*CK OFF

Couldn't care less even if he joe the goose'd every shot, 4.3 in this day and age may as well be considered a bag. Disrespectful to say a bloke who kicked just about 25% of the team's score (in a high-scoring game) wasn't in the top 25% of the team's players.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couldn't care less even if he joe the goose'd every shot, 4.3 in this day and age may as well be considered a bag. Disrespectful to say a bloke who kicked just about 25% of the team's score (in a high-scoring game) wasn't in the top 25% of the team's players.
Kicked some beauties and missed a couple of easier ones

DazzaTys

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reading the write up that Frampton is a poor ruckman, why aren't we playing him at CHF or something? Could he be like Joe Daniher? Jeeze with our recent record of developing exactly 0 tall men in the last 5 years we can't afford to lose many more big men.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reading the write up that Frampton is a poor ruckman, why aren't we playing him at CHF or something? Could he be like Joe Daniher? Jeeze with our recent record of developing exactly 0 tall men in the last 5 years we can't afford to lose many more big men.

Well given the write-up that most seem to basing their perceptions off has been shown to be bizarrely inaccurate...

The thought of Toumpas playing in the AFL side still doesn't really sit all that comfortably, but week after week he seems to be putting up some very good efforts in the SANFL. He's in the tough spot of being behind a few to break into the half back line and his biggest query of being able to compete in the cauldron of an AFL may mean that the likes of Atley and Drew could leapfrog him but if he continues to show this kind of application leading the way in the reserves I could not begrudge him another opportunity. He wasn't terrible for us in his senior chances last year, more that he just didn't add enough value in the games where we were either outplayed comprehensively or evenly matched.

Good to see some form from the guys on the cusp with Angus, Eddy, Houston and just as pleasing to see Atley, Drew and Marshall starting to come into their own.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
My first SANFL game in years - really enjoyed it! First time seeing my BF buddy Jarrod Lienert in the flesh & was suitably impressed. He might be a little on the slow side - not sure - but tackling, positioning, goal kicking (!) & general all-round defensive actions seemed pretty solid. Something about him reminded me of Martin Leslie - probably just his general appearance/physique.
Other players I thought did well were Summerton, Monfries, Eddy, Frampton, Toumpas, Marshall, Drew & Hewett.
Butch does not look right in a Centrals jumper.
We were camped near a great bunch of old scrotes on the outer wing who were hurling classic insults at Centrals players & the umpires. My son was loving being near the Allan Scott headquarters & observing the Power players antics/reactions as they watched the game from their balcony. Not sure why Ollie felt the need to stand on a table, but whatever! Time to replace the power logo on that building; peeling teal section and getting a battering from the kids kicking their footys at it!
All in all, a good day at the footy: 4 stars.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back