News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

yep.

his dad played 170 games for port and isn’t eligible by the way.

if the Victorian teams had the same father son rules as us, Gary Ablett would have only just snuck in, Hawkins wouldn’t have come close

Daniher wouldnt have come remotely close for Essendon

I suspect that 90% of father sons wouldn’t have been eligible.
Seems pretty rough, at the very least they could have made it 150 games for SANFL and WAFL.

He might be one of the more impressive players I’ve seen yet in the SA 16s which would make it all the more frustrating.

Edit: just took a huge contested grab, kicking only thing letting him down but looks Dangerfield-like

Seems pretty rough, at the very least they could have made it 150 games for SANFL and WAFL.

He might be one of the more impressive players I’ve seen yet in the SA 16s which would make it all the more frustrating.

Edit: just took a huge contested grab, kicking only thing letting him down but looks Dangerfield-like

had 15d and 2 goals to halftime, appears to have left the game though now?

It was a data driven piece of smoothing bullshit exercise in 2001.

The basic maths was
The # of 100 gamers for the average VFL club = the # of 150 gamers the 2 WA clubs are attached to them via the 4 WAFL clubs they are each "zoned" to = the # of 200 gamers the 2 SA clubs are attached to them via the 5 SANFL clubs they are each "zoned" to.

In 2001 the SANFL and crows presented the wrong information. In the 1960's the WAFL, SANFL and VFL all separately instituted a 200 Club to give benefits to players after they finished playing. This included counting premiership season games, state games and preseason or night series competition games but not just trials where no competition was involved, and if your total games played was 200 or more you got the benefits.

The WAFL and VFL kept all 3 categories games separate, but the SANFL used to amalgamate premiership season games and preseason or night series competition games as one total.

So in 2001 they presented the wrong data and a decision was made on the wrong data.

If they presented data on only games eligible games played by players ie premiership season games only, the total would have been around 175 games for SANFL.

It would always have been higher than the WAFL as they had 8 clubs and SANFL had 10 before both WCE and crows entered the AFL, so more players would have played 150+ games in the SANFL compared to the WAFL.

What Port people want, is to only have rights to the son of fathers who played 100 eligible SANFL games for Port.

We don't care about the sons of champion players for other SANFL clubs. That's why the 200 game requirement is so discriminatory to Port when you think of why the father son rule was implemented in the first place, going back to Ron Barassi and the fact Ron Barassi snr was killed in WWII, ie to keep that family connection going.

There is a hell of a lot more connection to Port where the son is of the father who played say 108 games for Port compared to the son of the father who played say 350 games for Central Districts.

The basic maths was
The # of 100 gamers for the average VFL club = the # of 150 gamers the 2 WA clubs are attached to them via the 4 WAFL clubs they are each "zoned" to = the # of 200 gamers the 2 SA clubs are attached to them via the 5 SANFL clubs they are each "zoned" to.

In 2001 the SANFL and crows presented the wrong information. In the 1960's the WAFL, SANFL and VFL all separately instituted a 200 Club to give benefits to players after they finished playing. This included counting premiership season games, state games and preseason or night series competition games but not just trials where no competition was involved, and if your total games played was 200 or more you got the benefits.

The WAFL and VFL kept all 3 categories games separate, but the SANFL used to amalgamate premiership season games and preseason or night series competition games as one total.

So in 2001 they presented the wrong data and a decision was made on the wrong data.

If they presented data on only games eligible games played by players ie premiership season games only, the total would have been around 175 games for SANFL.

It would always have been higher than the WAFL as they had 8 clubs and SANFL had 10 before both WCE and crows entered the AFL, so more players would have played 150+ games in the SANFL compared to the WAFL.

What Port people want, is to only have rights to the son of fathers who played 100 eligible SANFL games for Port.

We don't care about the sons of champion players for other SANFL clubs. That's why the 200 game requirement is so discriminatory to Port when you think of why the father son rule was implemented in the first place, going back to Ron Barassi and the fact Ron Barassi snr was killed in WWII, ie to keep that family connection going.

There is a hell of a lot more connection to Port where the son is of the father who played say 108 games for Port compared to the son of the father who played say 350 games for Central Districts.
We used to be aligned to PA, CD, NA, WA & WWT for Father-Son. Do we know if this still applies or has it been realigned to match the NGA zones (plus PA)?

We used to be aligned to PA, CD, NA, WA & WWT for Father-Son. Do we know if this still applies or has it been realigned to match the NGA zones (plus PA)?
That hasn't changed because of the smoothing exercise I talked about and the number of fathers.

That hasn't changed because of the smoothing exercise I talked about and the number of fathers.
Probably irrelevent now anyway. Wouldn't be too many pre-1996, 200+ game players with kids under 18 around by now. In fact I can't even think of any CD/NA/WA/WWT blokes who had eligble sons since we've been in the AFL. Max James and Russell Ebert the only ones whose sons went, I think.

We ended up drafting exactly zero father/sons from any of those other clubs anyway so the whole thing was just a lol.

As for the Port father/sons, the only ones we would've picked were Brett Ebert and Brad Ebert. Brett we picked anyway even though he wasn't actually eligible at the time (lol) and Brad we didn't have access to but traded in after he spent 4 years at WCE.

tl;dr - we didn't gain or lose anything except the first 4 years of Brad's career.

Probably irrelevent now anyway. Wouldn't be too many pre-1996, 200+ game players with kids under 18 around by now. In fact I can't even think of any CD/NA/WA/WWT blokes who had eligble sons since we've been in the AFL. Max James and Russell Ebert the only ones whose sons went, I think.
True but look at Graham Cornes, played between 1969-1984, remarried to a lot younger woman than him and has had 3 daughters with his 2nd wife who are 26, 16 and 11, but if they were boys, they would all be eligible under the rule changes since 2001.

So that means if his youngest Gia was a boy, she/he could get drafted in 2027, 43 years after Graham played his last game. Ie Graham could have been a 79 year old watching his boy get drafted under the father son rule. A rare but not impossible situation.

All of the Vic clubs could potentially have father-sons in this type of situation and they only have the 100 game qualification.

A 50 year old marrying a 25-30 year old and starting a second family isn't a 1 in a million situation like it used to be. So if he starts a second family 15-20 years after he has ended his playing career, his son(s) from the second marriage could get drafted another 20-25 years after that, is a possibility.

The basic maths was

also of note is how the 1997 cutoff affects us.

there’s no cutoff for say a team like geelong, separating vfl and geelong in the afl after 1990. If a bloke played 50 games pre-1990, and 50 games after 1990 they qualify for f/s at geelong. They would qualify if they played 50 pre- 1997, and 50 after 1997 for Port.

also of note is how the 1997 cutoff affects us.

there’s no cutoff for say a team like geelong, separating vfl and geelong in the afl after 1990. If a bloke played 50 games pre-1990, and 50 games after 1990 they qualify for f/s at geelong. They would qualify if they played 50 pre- 1997, and 50 after 1997 for Port.
True but drawing a line at the 1996 SANFL GF is fair enough given we entered the AFL Rd 1 1997, and if that player was any good and hadn't played 200 games, and was a Port player would have been put on Port's AFL list.

You have to have a cut off and I can live with the 1996 SANFL GF being the cut off point for us.

We should be able to lock Stephen Carter in a room with Gillon McLachlan for 30 minutes. Whoever walks out after the allotted time makes the decision where Hunter plays. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We ended up drafting exactly zero father/sons from any of those other clubs anyway so the whole thing was just a lol.

As for the Port father/sons, the only ones we would've picked were Brett Ebert and Brad Ebert. Brett we picked anyway even though he wasn't actually eligible at the time (lol) and Brad we didn't have access to but traded in after he spent 4 years at WCE.

tl;dr - we didn't gain or lose anything except the first 4 years of Brad's career.

actually borlase and Carter would be available to us. So that’s 3 father sons we haven’t had access to that we should have just there.

True but drawing a line at the 1996 SANFL GF is fair enough given we entered the AFL Rd 1 1997, and if that player was any good and hadn't played 200 games, and was a Port player would have been put on Port's AFL list.

You have to have a cut off and I can live with the 1996 SANFL GF being the cut off point for us.

except that cutoff has never applied to Victorian teams.

As I said it’s entirely possible for a Victorian father son to have played their 100 games on any or both sides of them crossing over from being the VFL to AFL.

a Victorian father son could have literally played 99 games pre-1990, ie Pre afl and 1 game in the new afl and that guy is seen to have played 100 eligible games

if he was a port man, and had played 99 games pre 1997, and 1 game for port Adelaide power afterwards, he would be considered both 99 afl games short, and 101 sanfl games short of being eligible.

except that cutoff has never applied to Victorian teams.

As I said it’s entirely possible for a Victorian father son to have played their 100 games on any or both sides of them crossing over from being the VFL to AFL.

a Victorian father son could have literally played 99 games pre-1990, ie Pre afl and 1 game in the new afl and that guy is seen to have played 100 eligible games

if he was a port man, and had played 99 games pre 1997, and 1 game for port Adelaide power afterwards, he would be considered both 99 afl games short, and 101 sanfl games short of being eligible.
I'm only interested in Port so pre 1997 games SANFL games. Once we went into the AFL it was a case of bad luck.

Sure if we got a 100 game eligibility and Jarrod Poulton played 99 games before Rd 1 1997 with the Magpies and then 40 with the Power post 1996 SANFL GF, he misses out compared to a Geelong player in exactly the same situation.

But all around the world there are borders and people who are one side of the board are no real different someone on the other side of the border and only a couple of hundred of metres or so separates them, are subject to some very different rules and those on one side get benefits compare to those on the otherside.

You will never get a perfect solution. But we keep pushing for a better and fairer one.

Theres been 3 or 4 but we havent gone there. Schwarz and Haylock being two who were close

And a kid already putting his name up from your academy is Kobe Ryan, 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter and he has 23 disposals and a goal.

not hard to spot with the blonde locks and the way he covers the ground on the wing

In case he is eligible - I saw this on my Facebook feed....

89ab71ed670ac05720ba265ea5b95546.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back