Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

If they get rolled to half a WCE side today they should never be allowed to bring the issue up again
Why does how we play determine what we should wear?

Yep, got it in one. The Power only cares about the Power.

They don’t give a s**t about the heritage of other clubs. They don’t care that Fitzroy had to merge with the Bears so they could pinch their licence and enter the league. They didn’t care about any SA club other than themselves when they jettisoned the SANFL in 1990 to join the AFL.

I actually love the fact we f’ed them over and they can’t wear the pylon jumper. The poor man’s Collingwood jumper. I love that it drives them nuts and they fixate on it more so than on field performance.

Collingwood screwing the Power is just karma for the other 9 SANFL clubs that got screwed when Port jumped ship for the AFL. Even the side that got pushed out for the Power, Fitzroy, have a better grasp of their identity and respect for its heritage even as merged entity.

I mean basically, Collingwood out muscles them and forced them to drop their heritage, jumper, colours and team song in a heartbeat to sign up for massive licence fee while dreaming of more money in the AFL.

You know what the Powers heritage is worth to them? Nothing. They’ll actually pay ya millions in licence fees for the privilege of throwing their heritage in the tip.

Whereas at Collingwood, our heritage is priceless. We understand the value of our brand and we look after it.
The prison bars issue seems to drive a tiny number of Cwd fans nuts more than Port. Your volumous, lengthy posts on the subject is a case in point. Perhaps your lack of cups in the top league (and no, that doesn't include the vfl when it was a state league like the sanfl) is creating some anxiety that your heritage is under threat?

Personally the pb issue doesn't bother me but I don't understand the touchiness with some cwd supporters. Where was the outcry in 1990 when Port was originally going to join tha AFL? The agreement struck then was Port had to drop the magpie moniker but could keep play in their pb jumpers except in games against cwd. Surely that is a sensible outcome to any sane mind.

The prison bars issue seems to drive a tiny number of Cwd fans nuts more than Port. Your volumous, lengthy posts on the subject is a case in point. Perhaps your lack of cups in the top league (and no, that doesn't include the vfl when it was a state league like the sanfl) is creating some anxiety that your heritage is under threat?

Personally the pb issue doesn't bother me but I don't understand the touchiness with some cwd supporters. Where was the outcry in 1990 when Port was originally going to join tha AFL? The agreement struck then was Port had to drop the magpie moniker but could keep play in their pb jumpers except in games against cwd. Surely that is a sensible outcome to any sane mind.
Port Adelaide board has a 10,000 post thread stickied. I think you're underselling how much they care.

I don't understand the touchiness with some cwd supporters. Where was the outcry in 1990 when Port was originally going to join tha AFL? The agreement struck then was Port had to drop the magpie moniker but could keep play in their pb jumpers except in games against cwd. Surely that is a sensible outcome to any sane mind.
Port don't stick to agreements. So good on Collingwood for playing hard ball.

This just isn't true. If it was, there'd be no need for any 'agreement' about Magpies and stripes when we entered the AFL.
And if it were false, there would've been no need to merge the PAFC, PAMFC and PAWFC into 1 club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1379408View attachment 1379409View attachment 1379411
The heritage "bars" with the black back and number panel are really only from the 1960s.

Prior to then Port swapped all manner of black n white stripe combinations or were magenta.

How many seasons have Port's main senior team played in the "heritage" bars jumper that you are wanting to bring back??
Just checked then if Port Adelaide dont return to their traditional design in the next 4 years, they will have spent more time not wearing it than wearing it.

You still can go along and cheer cheer the black and the white in the SANFL every week.

Port are still Port, they play at Alberton against Norwood in the BnW bars, just like they have since the late 1950s.
Why would I do that when I go for Collingwood lol

So will the new AFL CEO also allegedly be a puppet of an ex-Collingwood president, or is the AFL going to finally mature and make its own decisions?

Personally, as a sign of good faith, I would accept the jumper shown on the left keeping its white horizontal bar, white arm and neck trimmings and having the white vertical bars replaced with silver ones.

Then we would be different both in design and colours, rather than just design, as clearly the design is materially different to Collingwoods.

Would someone please get Gil on the phone, and get him to ask Eddie if that is ok :!?:

Port don't stick to agreements. So good on Collingwood for playing hard ball.

Go have a read of this sunshine.
In particular, read this bit.

How did all this unpleasantness surrounding the prison bars start anyway? Like many parts of Port Adelaide’s AFL story, it can be traced back to 1990 and the club’s unsuccessful AFL bid. At the time, the SANFL and its clubs were lobbying AFL clubs to vote against accepting Port Adelaide into the AFL for season 1991, as prior to 1993 the AFL clubs effectively governed the league, not the AFL Commission. Then SANFL President Max Basheer was successfully able to con then-Collingwood President Allan McAlister over the phone into believing that Port Adelaide will always wear its prison bars jumper, even for away games against Collingwood.

Max Basheer recounted the conversation in 2017 on FIVEaa.

“This business of Port Adelaide, it’s not fair to Collingwood that they’re going to use black and white and that they won’t agree to an away strip…”

“Over my dead body!” was McAlister’s response.

However, Port Adelaide, who believed it was one vote short of securing a 75 per cent majority of AFL clubs, was unable to clear up the misinformation fed to Collingwood. This was because a legal injunction carried out against it by Glenelg, Norwood and the SANFL prevented the club from speaking to the AFL or any of its clubs.

Moreover, when Port Adelaide was successfully awarded the second South Australian based AFL license in 1994, it agreed to adopt a new set of guernesy designs as well as new colours and a new nickname. However, there was a twist, and it came in the form of Collingwood President Allan McAlister’s letter to then Port Adelaide President Greg Boulton dated 1 September 1995.

“We at Collingwood are most grateful for Port Adelaide accepting it should enter the AFL with a change from its black-and-white colours and Magpie name which we hold dear to our hearts at Collingwood.

I will reiterate to our board that if the Port Adelaide Football Club should succeed at ranking higher than the Collingwood Football Club for three consecutive years in the AFL then our objections will be waived.”

Port Adelaide ranked higher than Collingwood on its first five consecutive years in the AFL from 1997 to 2001. Meaning, Collingwood did not honour its agreement, and the prison bars remains as decisive an issue as it ever has been. But what hope do Port Adelaide have when Eddie powers over the AFL?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back