Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Port Adelaide fans honestly understand, most of the older fans used to be Collingwood fans pre-1997 and get it. We agree to disagree, and that's ok. I think that's why the club shows it recognises that by the emphasis on using it in Heritage Round ONLY before, and the emphasis on using it in Showdowns ONLY now.

To be honest, I don't have a beef with Port wearing the pb in showdown games - so long as the magpie emblem is not used. Not sure there are many Pie fans that would have an issue - a diehard minuscule minority maybe

But some Port fans (another diehard minuscule minority) want the pb to be a regular, that is too similar to Collingwood and it shouldn't even be a conversation.

IF Port were allowed to wear the pb jumper it would be too similar to Collingwoods.

That's why Port were FORCED to wear an alternative strip to it's pb to enter the competition. It has to differ enough from another club in the same competition, you can't expect a newly entered club to wear a jumper that would mean an original member club would have to change theirs.

Turn it upside down, inside out, boil it down and dissect it all you will, it's arrogant to expect that an original member club would change it's own Guernsey to accommodate a new club with what they want.

In order for Port to regularly wear it and be recognized as the 'prison bars' would be too similar to the black and white stripes of the Pies. So it's no wonder the Pies won't give and nor should they.

"TOO SIMILAR" wtf does that even mean and wtf does that even matter? When they play, Port wears a clash guernsey. When they play others, who gives a shit? Teams in other leagues all around the world wear the same colors.

It was foolish to engage with you in the first place. On your way, close-minded SOB.

To be honest, I don't have a beef with Port wearing the pb in showdown games - so long as the magpie emblem is not used. Not sure there are many Pie fans that would have an issue - a diehard minuscule minority maybe

But some Port fans (another diehard minuscule minority) want the pb to be a regular, that is too similar to Collingwood and it shouldn't even be a conversation.
So a simple contract (a real one this time, not a fictional one that's never been presented anywhere ever) would lock that down.

And no, the Prison bar Guernsey will be without the Magpie.

"TOO SIMILAR" wtf does that even mean and wtf does that even matter? When they play, Port wears a clash guernsey. When they play others, who gives a sh*t? Teams in other leagues all around the world wear the same colors.

It was foolish to engage with you in the first place. On your way, close-minded SOB.

Now now, don't get too emotional, what you or I think don't matter sunshine, nor do other leagues around the world matters.

What matters is what HQ says, it's up to them at the end of the day. You can like it or lump it, up to you.

That doesn't matter. It's how copyright law works

McDonalds just sued Hungry Jacks over the Big Jack. Do people go to Hungry Jacks thinking they are getting McDonalds?

You might say I'm biased because I'm a Collingwood supporter. But I understand why Collingwood wouldn't want this. If I owned a business, I wouldn't want someone using my image and name either. And before anyone says "but Port has been around since 1850".. yes in the SANFL. Collingwood was in the VFL, which became the AFL. Collingwood did not change a league or join a new league. They have been in the same league the entire time. Port moved form the SANFL to the AFL and under that movement they agreed to have color X and name X.

Well you said they were financially going to benefit and now you are saying it doesn’t matter. Sounds like you are a bit of a weather vane.

Yes they did agree...all you are doing is stating facts. However it’s not as though they decided to get rid of their jumper on their own as a stand-alone decision and now changed their mind.

your argument about business legality and your business analogy is flawed. Plenty of businesses have and use the same colours. I have issues with port wanting to use name magpies but not the black and white strip. It’s clear they are different strips.

That doesn't matter. It's how copyright law works

McDonalds just sued Hungry Jacks over the Big Jack. Do people go to Hungry Jacks thinking they are getting McDonalds?

You might say I'm biased because I'm a Collingwood supporter. But I understand why Collingwood wouldn't want this. If I owned a business, I wouldn't want someone using my image and name either. And before anyone says "but Port has been around since 1850".. yes in the SANFL. Collingwood was in the VFL, which became the AFL. Collingwood did not change a league or join a new league. They have been in the same league the entire time. Port moved form the SANFL to the AFL and under that movement they agreed to have color X and name X.

Just quietly, you don't have much of an idea of "how copyright law works".

Dont know if this has been posted, but finally someone speaking some sense.
Port Adelaide's Black and White Magpies team is a SANFL team, and separate entity to the AFL team that wears Black, White and Teal. The fact that the Port SANFL team serves as the AFL reserves team is irrelevant. Collingwood have been in this V/AFL competition longer, AND wore black and white before Port.
I have nothing against Port wearing Prison Bars in showdown or any home games, but not against Collingwood. We should not have to get a predominantly white strip when we travel to AO like some Port fans want.

Port Adelaide is trying to "back out" of an arrangement wherein they don't wear the prison bars. You're right that you haven't gone rogue and the AFL would need to approve it, and I'm saying they shouldn't approve it and they shouldn't be expected to due to the aforementioned arrangement.

Are you aware that we actually have an agreement (a legitimate one, not a 'handshake' one) that allows us to wear the Prison Bar guernsey in heritage themed games? This is not conjecture or a guess, this is real and it has been in place since 2007.

All that we are asking for is that the AFL deem Showdown games as a heritage game because they reflect SA football heritage so we can wear the guernsey in SA against our SA rivals.

The only 'backing out' of an agreement that's been done is the AFL (and Collingwood) agreeing to terms and then promptly pulling heritage rounds off the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And no, the Prison bar Guernsey will be without the Magpie.
For how long for.

First it was we are not the Port Adelaide Magpies we are the Port Power with teal.
Then it was drop the teal and the PAM is our heritage.
Then it was we want to wear the PB for heritage rounds only.
Next PB for the full year.
Then PB is our home strip.
Then we want the magpie back.

When and where does it stop? And will PAP won't to renegotiate every 5-10 years?

For how long for.

First it was we are not the Port Adelaide Magpies we are the Port Power with teal.
Then it was drop the teal and the PAM is our heritage.
Then it was we want to wear the PB for heritage rounds only.
Next PB for the full year.
Then PB is our home strip.
Then we want the magpie back.

When and where does it stop? And will PAP won't to renegotiate every 5-10 years?
No. You're not insecure at all.

I can play that game too.

AFL makes a unilateral decision to sign off the Grand Final at the MCG for 50 years, favouring 10 teams ahead of 8.
Next they'll sign the Prelim Finals again.
Then they'll sign the entire finals series.

When and where will it stop?

See how ludicrous it is when you're on the other side.

Are you aware that we actually have an agreement (a legitimate one, not a 'handshake' one) that allows us to wear the Prison Bar guernsey in heritage themed games? This is not conjecture or a guess, this is real and it has been in place since 2007.

All that we are asking for is that the AFL deem Showdown games as a heritage game because they reflect SA football heritage so we can wear the guernsey in SA against our SA rivals.

The only 'backing out' of an agreement that's been done is the AFL (and Collingwood) agreeing to terms and then promptly pulling heritage rounds off the table.
Shhhh... don't talk about facts.

Better to deal in shady rumours, backroom deals, fictional contracts and "handshake" agreements...

Dont know if this has been posted, but finally someone speaking some sense.
Port Adelaide's Black and White Magpies team is a SANFL team, and separate entity to the AFL team that wears Black, White and Teal. The fact that the Port SANFL team serves as the AFL reserves team is irrelevant. Collingwood have been in this V/AFL competition longer, AND wore black and white before Port.
I have nothing against Port wearing Prison Bars in showdown or any home games, but not against Collingwood. We should not have to get a predominantly white strip when we travel to AO like some Port fans want.
The club, it's fans, and all comms, have been all about Showdowns and nothing else.
Not the Magpie logo, not any other games....

The club, it's fans, and all comms, have been all about Showdowns and nothing else.
Not the Magpie logo, not any other games....
And I am here to say that I support them in that as well as wearing it in other games.
Just speaking to the small percentage of fans which want to basically eliminate Collingwood from the comp and establish Port over the top of them.
You may not hear them, understandable as you are a Port fan yourself. But they do exist, and are extremely annoying.

No. You're not insecure at all.

I can play that game too.

AFL makes a unilateral decision to sign off the Grand Final at the MCG for 50 years, favouring 10 teams ahead of 8.
Next they'll sign the Prelim Finals again.
Then they'll sign the entire finals series.

When and where will it stop?

See how ludicrous it is when you're on the other side.
Make a concrete proposal and categorically rule out ever bringing back the magpie and the prison bar for all games other than showdowns and you might get more support.​

Where do you guys get this magpie sh*t from? we don't want it we never have it's about a guernsey.
Well for starters there's a magpie logo on some official Port Adelaide member scarves (along with the thunder fist logo). Not sure how the AFL approved those.

This would only make sense if the Crows were going to wear guernseys representing the other SANFL clubs such as Norwood, Sturt, Centrals, Glenelg etc.

Well for starters there's a magpie logo on some official Port Adelaide member scarves (along with the thunder fist logo). Not sure how the AFL approved those.
That's Port Adelaide's SANFL logo you're talking about. No one has ever said they want the magpie as the club's AFL logo.

If anyone was wondering why Heritage Round mysteriously disappeared overnight only to never come back, this is why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back