Prediction Port Board Phantom Draft - The Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 41 - Geelong
Jake Waterman (Father/Son Bid)
General Forward
191cm/82kg
Perth/West Coast Father Son

This pick was more a need than a best available selection. Geelong are lacking in the forward department and Waterman was the 'best available' forward, who could play tall or small. He probably wont play early on in his career, but when he comes into the team, he will partner Hawkins very well, as Waterman is more the 3rd tall/link up forward as Hawkins is the brute.

42. Fremantle - Liam Ryan (WAFL)
Height/weight:
184cm, 76kg
Best position: Small forward
Player Comparison: Eddy Betts

A 19 year old, Ryan moved to Perth from the country over the summer and quickly shot into draft calculations. He kick 11 goals in 4 WAFL reserves games before debuting at Jarrad Schofield's Subiaco and kicking 40 goals in 16 senior appearances, including 4.4 in a semi final.

I'd liken him to Eddy Betts with his ability 1v1 and in the air while also being able to kick plenty of traditional small forward goals through crumbing and goal sense. Defensive pressure will improve with fitness and does seem to come naturally to him.

I see him as a nice fit for Fremantle and a long term Ballantyne replacement.

Human highlights reel:

Combine star:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-26/next-eddie-betts-dazzles-recruiters-at-wa-combine

Contenders:
Sam Walker was right in the mix for my last pick but I didn't really want to pick two similar types after taking Luke Ryan. I'm confident Walker plays a lot of AFL football.

Zac Fisher and Lochie O'Brien where the others under consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Pick 44 Essendon draft midfielder Jack Graham. Reasoning to follow once I get home.

Reasoning:
- Strong Inside Midfielder
- Hits contests at speed and gains clean possession below his knees

Graham does have issues with footskills and there are questions of his versatility, so a third round pick for the him is probably on the money.

On D5833 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
With Adelaide's next pick, i've just got to go best available and for me thats Alex Villis. I'm surprised he fell this far, i've got him 15 spots higher on my talent list.

Provides Adelaide with:
- Good running power
- Good skills, capable of setting up the play and delivering inside 50
- Can play on a wing or across half back

Lacks pace, but he's the best footballer left at this pick.

Made a list of 43 prior to the Phantom
And going needs this guy is my only KPP left
Bid on the Brisbane prospect
Declan Watson
194cm 90kg
Took everyone else's Number 1 key forward in the championship Collingwood need KPP prospects and hopefully we get him
Can see Watson playing 100 odd games in that 2nd/3rd key defender

Does Brisbane match though? Macca19

Brisbane match, happy to go into deficit. Was really hoping we'd get a bargain and that he'd possibly fall to the rookie draft but not to be. I rate him as probably the 2nd best KPD in the draft. Good stopper, good pace, happy to take the game on. He completes our spine of youthful talls perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back