Toast Port has signed Daniel Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed that Flynny has headed back to the Emerald Isle, but I can certainly understand his decision. There's a cultural shock process that almost everyone who moves to a new country goes through. It starts off all wonderful and new (honeymoon period) and then quickly becomes awful. That's tough enough to get through, and typically lasts a few months. Then there's a second period of down that happens from about 6 months to a year. For my wife and I, we had entirely different experiences going through the process since moving to Canada. If I'd had the financial freedom (and the economy in Australia wasn't balls) to move home within 18 months of coming here, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

The added weight of having terminally ill family, even if you knew about it before you moved, would be extra hard. It would force him to constantly reassess his decisions, and I'm sure he was under a lot of pressure. Best of luck to him, and there's no shame in the decision he has made.

In terms of spin, the lad is 19 years old. I had no idea what I was going to do with my life at 19, and I'm sure he's probably feeling pretty torn. My guess is that he may not be able to give either Peter Rohde, his family or Kildare any definites at this point, and so everyone is working off of maybes.

Oz maybe Silence is golden. ;)
Look you seem like a nice guy and you are a great mod but I can voice my thoughts without needing to be told to shut up in polite terms.

If you don't agree that is great. That's what a forum is for.
Conversing with people that share your opinion or do not.

If I wanted to join a forum where everyone agrees and doesn't argue with out fear of being banned I certainly wouldn't be here.

Look you seem like a nice guy and you are a great mod but I can voice my thoughts without needing to be told to shut up in polite terms.

If I wanted to join a forum where everyone agrees and doesn't argue with out fear of being banned I certainly wouldn't be here.
I don't think at any stage Foot Falcon was telling you to shut up - in any terms. You guys were simply discussing a point about Daniel Flynn, in a thread about Daniel Flynn, on a discussion forum. Nothing out of the ordinary really?

I don't think at any stage Foot Falcon was telling you to shut up - in any terms. You guys were simply discussing a point about Daniel Flynn, in a thread about Daniel Flynn, on a discussion forum. Nothing out of the ordinary really?
I don't know how else `Silence is golden' could be taken

I don't know how else `Silence is golden could be taken`
I don't think that was coming from the moderation side of things. I think that was a joke about you digging a hole, and then trying to get out of it by digging deeper.

I don't think that was coming from the moderation side of things. I think that was a joke about you digging a hole, and then trying to get out of it by digging deeper.
Digging a hole implies I am in digging down in to something.
I am just looking at it differently wrongly or rightly
From the news reports it seems he has returned and has resumed playing Gaelic which strikes me as odd if that's one of the first things done.

Digging a hole implies I am in digging down in to something.
I am just looking at it differently wrongly or rightly
From the news reports it seems he has returned and has resumed playing Gaelic which strikes me as odd if that's one of the first things done.

Not at all, he sits back in Adelaide and decides that he wants to be back home for whatever reason, he then decides to continue playing the game he was brought up on and must be pretty handy at so he gets on the phone and says, "hey coach, i'll soon be back in town, can I have a run with you".
What's so hard to understand???????

I've been pretty busy the last few days and am only just catching up on the latest footy news.

But what the **** is going on here???

So Flynn returned to Ireland to supposedly be closer to his sick grandad, but has instead basically said thanks, but no thanks Port.
Very poor wording, or you're an extremely tough prick.

Kildare coach mentioned he will be involved in the u21 game on Wednesday and through out the year.

playing Gaelic football is not the same as playing AFL. there are no contracts. you dont sign up. you play for your local club, and if you are good enough, you get selected for your county team. So Flynn is back playing for his home club (Johnstownbridge) and because he is obviously very talented, he is being selected for the Kildare county team which he played for before he left for Australia.

and as SSK mentioned above, I wouldnt be getting caught up in the semantics of what the journalists here write about, its far better for them here to paint another picture of a 'failed' GAA export who got homesick and would have been better off staying in Ireland, rather than a top level athlete who missed his family and didnt want to lose out on his last chance to spend time with his grandad.

there is obviously more of a bond with the gaelic players too, as they would grow up together playing with each other, as there is no transfer systems or anything like that, so who Flynn played underage with all along, he will be playing at senior level in the club and county now, and that is a bond of playing with players that the AFL doesnt have like the GAA does, and it is a factor too, so him saying he missed it is not going to be a surprise. Even Pearce Hanley has publically come out and says he misses playing with Mayo, and he often tweets about them and talks to the players regularily, but it doesnt mean he is leaving anytime soon either.

Not at all, he sits back in Adelaide and decides that he wants to be back home for whatever reason, he then decides to continue playing the game he was brought up on and must be pretty handy at so he gets on the phone and says, "hey coach, i'll soon be back in town, can I have a run with you".
What's so hard to understand???????
It just seems like odd timing to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very poor wording, or you're an extremely tough prick.

It was just a bit of shock after reading that article mate. Considering it sounds like he moved back only because of home sickness.

Now that I've read it again and had a few minutes, they aren't obviously reporting the entire story and we'll find out more in the coming weeks.

It was just a bit of shock after reading that article mate. Considering it sounds like he moved back only because of home sickness.

Now that I've read it again and had a few minutes, they aren't obviously reporting the entire story and we'll find out more in the coming weeks.

being honest, I doubt you will. If his grandfather is ill and on his death bed or whatever, I dont really think it is necessary to be publicising a personal issue for supporters of what is now a former club of his. he is back in Ireland, and playing again with Kildare, living with his family. Its not the first, nor last time this will happen with an Irish recruit. I do however think that he may well go back again, but for now, I dont really think he needs to explain himself any further, or has no obligation to, no matter how hard it is to take for fans of Port Adelaide. if he was an established senior player, then maybe there might be more scrutiny, but I dont think its necessary for an international rookie who had yet to make his full AFL debut.

Personally I doubt we will see him again. Also if he doesn't return we probably will never hear anything more

So I can not 'wonder' that his reasons for returning aren't being shared with us.

Sure you can but when you make the following statements virtually one after the other

I am just wondering whether what the club has said is the truth.

I am not implying this news story has been changed around and what the club said isnt true.

you are having your cake and eating it too. Of course you are implying what the club said isn't true.

I never tried to shut you down. I was actually encouraging you to come out and say what you think the club was not telling the truth about - it was you who made that comment. As I posted, the club made two basic statements about why Flynn went home and I asked you which one do you not think is true:

Flynn is homesick
Flynn has a seriously ill grandfather

You've danced all around that question and actually denied us the discussion.

I've been pretty busy the last few days and am only just catching up on the latest footy news.

But what the **** is going on here???

So Flynn returned to Ireland to supposedly be closer to his sick grandad, but has instead basically said thanks, but no thanks Port.

The thread pretty much explains it. 5 minutes reading and you're up to date.

In a nutshell

Flynn is homesick (and this may include missing Gaelic football)
Flynn has a seriously ill family member which is compounding that homesickness
Port has let Flynn go home for extended leave on compassionate grounds
Port has given permission for Flynn to play Gaelic while he's home to keep up his fitness and possibly for his mental health as well

Maybe he's tried something different and found it's not for him at this stage of his life. Who knows? And if so, that only makes him human like the rest of us.

Disappointing but the tone Rohde took in the press conference made it quite clear he wouldn't be coming back.

It will be a case of what could've been because I seriously thought he had the talent to be the best current Irish AFL talent alongside Hanley one day.

That will now more than likely be the last we hear about Flynn from an Australian source until international rules rears it's ugly head. Tbh after the last few debacles that fixture should probably be scrapped, we'd be better off creating our own post season exhibition match like SOO or an all star vs indigenous game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back