Grey - Pearce - Ibbotson
Sutcliffe - Silvagni - Hughes
Weller - Griffin - Sheridan
Crozier - Taberner - Suban
Deluca - Apeness - Duffy

R: Ballard - Blakely - Clancee
I/C: Fyfe - Pavlich - Deluca
S: Smith

Ethan Hughes to come in for one of those other pretenders we currently use off half back.

We need a Hill at HB kicking to a Hill on the wing delivering to a leading forward

sutty to hill. Or even better... MJ and duffield on the hbf to sutty and hill on the wings. In time it'd be nice if weller could fill duffield's hbf spot.

Crozier and sutty to get time on the wings. Weller to get a run on a hbf. Apeness to get time as a full forward with small chunks of time in the ruck.

Morabito as an inside mid. His combination of speed and strength would be great.

Walters playing as a high half forward, I think getting the ball into his hands more would be great for us.

Mundy rotating through the back line, Fyfe playing forward more.
de Boer playing as a tagger and inside mid.

I agree with Mundy, he was selected as the U18 All-Australian full back and a move back could extend his career plus he is a beautiful field kick. This would afford others including Sheridan,Walters & Blakely more midfield time.

Matt Deboer to get an opportunity in Crowleys role and Fyfe spending additional time forward to add firepower.

Parry Street Purples v Joliment Joculars, Fremantle Oval

Grey - Pearce - Ibbotson
Sutcliffe - Silvagni - Hughes
Weller - Griffin - Sheridan
Crozier - Taberner - Suban
Deluca - Apeness - Duffy

R: Ballard - Blakely - Clancee
I/C: Fyfe - Pavlich - Deluca
S: Smith
Have we already cloned deluca?

Can we apply the same technology to fyfe, pav and hill?

Rumour has it Hill asked for a shift to half back because he realised he was going to lose his spot to Lachie otherwise.

Last edited:
I understand putting a long kicking line breaker at half back, we want as few possessions between defence and score as possible to minimize the risk of error.

My theory is that the further up the ground you move the ball, as in the closer you get to score, the more damaging your turn overs are in general play.

Obviously the switch to the opposing flank onto the chest of the opponent forward who strolls in to open goal is bad but I'm talking of the turnovers that allow the opposition to set up their own attacking structures while our defense is out of position.

That opponent defender marking. Switching and then our midfield chasing arse all the way into the opposition fifty while their key forwards are one on one running at the linking mid.

That is why I want to keep our best ball users forward of center as much as possible.

That is why I want to keep our best ball users forward of center as much as possible.

Exactly, Hill off half back is lunacy. He just had his best ever season for goals and inside 50's and we want to play him further away from goal, sounds good. :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand putting a long kicking line breaker at half back, we want as few possessions between defence and score as possible to minimize the risk of error.

My theory is that the further up the ground you move the ball, as in the closer you get to score, the more damaging your turn overs are in general play.

Obviously the switch to the opposing flank onto the chest of the opponent forward who strolls in to open goal is bad but I'm talking of the turnovers that allow the opposition to set up their own attacking structures while our defense is out of position.

That opponent defender marking. Switching and then our midfield chasing arse all the way into the opposition fifty while their key forwards are one on one running at the linking mid.

I think a turn over from a person kicking out of our back 50 is way more dangerous especially if our defenders are streaming forward leaving the opposition forwards unmanned.

Not saying Hill should be playing in the back line, but I do think we should have 2 or 3 quality ball users in our back 6.

Resting Mundy in the back 50 for up to 50% of the game could add real benefit to the side as his ball use could set up our attacks, plus when we needed a boost in the midfield we could throw him into the midfield.

I wouldn't swing him back when he is 90% gassed and needs a sit.

Have him play off HB for decent periods of the game with some set midfield stints and the option to throw him in the guts if we need him.

The younger guys should be able to win the clearances in the middle without Mundy. His ball use, size and evasion skills could be useful coming out of the backline.

He would kill a medium sized forward in my opinion and be something like an Ibbo/Johnno down back. His positioning is good, marking is good, size is good. Worth a try and also gives someone else a crack in the engine room.

More as the Johnno/Ibbo/Mzungu loose man intercept marking, taking a bounce or two and delivering the ball.

I expect with Johnno so far behind, we'll see a decent change down back. Could be McPharlin/Dawson/SCOS (depending on opponent) all being accountable for taller forwards with Sutty/Mundy/Ibbo/Spurr/Duffield (depending on opponent) taking care of the mid to small sized forwards and being responsible for the intercept marking/falling back into the w
hole and then distributing the ball from the backline with licence to take the game on a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see McPharlin taking the game on less with runs out of defense and being used more as a pure shut down defender to manage his body and also expect him to miss at least a handful of games.

We will need distributors and movers out of the backline to cover the loss of Johnno & McPharlin. Mundy can do it. His speed is also underrated. He's not overly quick but his running style makes him look slower than he is.

Could be way off and would be very tough to find a good balance to the team while blooding youth and going for a flag. That's why people are paid big bucks to do the job and I'm on the couch drinking beer watching the cricket...

I actually quite like the idea of having Mundy go back to his roots off half back to give some of the young bucks a go in the middle occasionally.
If we had Fyfe forward and Mundy back that would be some seriously classy bookends.

Of course we would lose massive traction in the middle, its unlikely Sheridan, Mora, Blakely, Weller would be up to providing that level of size, aggression & nous around a contest yet.

Also have DeBoer, Suban, Sylvia, C.Pearce, Crozier, Ballard etc. that have some years and experience on the younger crew. A few have a decent record when played in the guts.

Think we could still come up with a quality midfield with the players on our list without Mundy and Fyfe in there the majority of the time. We can always use them for cameos when required as they are still on the field.

Will be interesting to see what the team does and how much of a change they are prepared to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back