Would you jump ship?

Remove this Banner Ad

freo1

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very contentious question this one, but hey why not put it out for discussion.

Interesting chatter going around that after Tassie coming, we'll have 19 teams, so the AFL would like to bump that up to 20 for obvious fixturing reasons
Eddie McGuire says a consortium wants Perth to get a THIRD AFL team

If a new WA team were to come in, would you support them?? Would you jump ship??

Me personally - I could never change teams from Freo to another currently existing team BUT - in recent years I have become increasingly disenchanted about our club and how we're managed on and off the field, I'm worn out. Freo have always been glass half full in quite an empty cup (and a very empty trophy cabinet) but as staunch as i've been, i'm tiring hard. We continually make poor decisions, and in our 28 years we've made 8 finals series and generally have been an average to below average performer - we cant sugar coat that. We can make all the excuses in the world, I know I have in the past, but when it comes down to the numbers we're a very average club where it matters, on the field. So whilst I could never just swap colours - I've far too much purple passion for that, it's not in me, but gee if a fresh new team came in and they happened to be located near where I live, I'd certainly consider a fresh start based on our poor history and the chance to be part of a new parochial identity. I feel dirty saying it but jumping ship - whilst unlikely, I'd consider it.

Last edited:

Very contentious question this one, but hey why not put it out for discussion.

Interesting chatter going around that after Tassie coming, we'll have 19 teams, so the AFL would like to bump that up to 20 for obvious fixturing reasons
Eddie McGuire says a consortium wants Perth to get a THIRD AFL team

If a new WA team were to come in, would you support them?? Would you jump ship??

Me personally - I could never change teams from Freo to another currently existing team BUT - in recent years I have become increasingly disenchanted about our club and how we're managed on and off the field, I'm worn out. Freo have always been glass half full in quite an empty cup (and a very empty trophy cabinet) but as staunch as i've been, i'm tiring hard. We continually make poor decisions, and in our 28 years we've made 8 finals series and generally have been an average to below average performer - we cant sugar coat that. We can make all the excuses in the world, I know I have in the past, but when it comes down to the numbers we're a very average club where it matters, on the field. So whilst I could never just swap colours - I've far too much purple passion for that, it's not in me, but gee if a fresh new team came in and they happened to be located near where I live, I'd certainly consider a fresh start based on our poor history and the chance to be part of a new parochial identity. I feel dirty saying it but jumping ship - whilst unlikely, I'd consider it.

A great issue to raise:

1) The number of WCE or other club supporters that jumped onto Freo suggests there will be a drain. It is no different to the dark secret of most Port fans who would have yelled "Modra" in their past, attesting to supporting the local side at the time.

2) I adopted Freo as I became a Perthinite, again attesting supporters move to suit their needs

3) Perth shouldn't get a third side for a number of reasons
a) The AFL should be focused on expansion into Tassia, NT, Canberra, Newcastle, North Queensland and Bunbury Busselton region rather than saturating Perth
b) Perth based sides do the biggest travel and the one week on, one week off works. A third side brings in challenges to this equation or seeing freo and eagles compete against each other every week in the market, to enable the third side clear air to secure supporters.

Nah. I was a sharks fan before Freo (and still am).
Half my fam is from Liverpool and my pops worked on ships going all over the globe.
The spiritual home for my dad and most of my family over here is Freo.
Currently, living not far from Freo (6163 bby) so no ****ing way am I jumping ship - unless my firstborn ends up playing for another team

Also worth noting the other side of the fam is Italian, so yeah, there's that extra Freo connection (first got off the boat in Freo, plus the cappuccino strip, all the wogs down that way)

Just need Freo to move back to Freo, rather than ****ing Cockburn

Last edited:
I'm originally from Bunbury and still head down quite often to see family and friends. There has been a bit of talk about a Bunbury side coming in to the comp.

I would hate for that to happen because it would affect my love for fremantle in one way or another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. I was a sharks fan before Freo (and still am).
Half my fam is from Liverpool and my pops worked on ships going all over the globe.
The spiritual home for my dad and most of my family over here is Freo.
Currently, living not far from Freo (6163 bby) so no ****ing way am I jumping ship - unless my firstborn ends up playing for another team
I’m smelling a phoenix shopper here.

If it’s northern suburbs I would be meh about them, if it’s Southwest they would be my 2nd team and i would watch every game.

I’m 6163, went to the first Dockers game at East Freo as a kid and spent my youth studying the Dockers (not on homework unfortunately) always a Docker.

Of course not. I'd rather stay miserable for life as a Freo supporter than betray my principles.

I'd probably have a bit of a soft spot for the new team at first though, at least until they start beating us.
so you'd have a soft spot for them until half way through their first season? :)

Good question. Forking over a top 5 pick this year for Jackson might be the last straw for me. It feels weird though to consider other clubs.

Couldn’t follow another AFL team but I could put them on the shelf and head back to my WAFL team. The cost of supporting Freo is getting out of whack from what you get. I got * all from 2.5k donated during Covid and 26 years after signing up I’m still getting * all. Sharks are getting a new facility and their football is ok. So Freo on the shelf and down to Shark Park.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

It’s like watching your partner spend their entire income on some shady broker year after year and still being in love with them.

Reckon we’ll string a few late in the season and get the fans back on board. We are reworking the gameplan as we go.

If we don’t win a few late, Jlo will depart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back