Remove this Banner Ad

+ Hurn
+ Ryan
+ Darling
+ O'Neill clean hands
+ Rotham kicking style
+ Tom Cole goal.

- No small forwards
- Horrific ground ball numbers again due to no small forwards, inconsistent mids and small backs. This is going to nail us this year, unlikely to have more than one dry Perth final and no dry, day MCG grand final either
- Burst football is not sustainable football, see last year
- Shuey. I know it would have compromised rotations, but seriously??

+ Ryan - making an impact the last few weeks. Looking very likely
+ Contested marking
+ Probably going against the grain here, but I didn't mind our slow ball movement in the last quarter. Looked like we put the cue in the rack, conserve energy for the next game.

- Our forward structure - several times we didn't have our forwards in the right position kicking down the line.
- Hutchings & Jetta looked out of touch, Hutchings ball movement and decision making in particular
- Midfield beaten again

Positives
We won.
Ryan's range? Is he a small forward or our full forward? Scintillating, Liam Ryan, scintillating.
Tom Cole did fantastic that goal was critical.
NicNat was good.
The defence stood up under a lot of pressure.
Negatives
Midfield really struggled for much of the game.
Missed Cripps he plays a role in clearances.
Shuey hamstring bugger.

+ Was this Ryan’s best ever game? No massive pack marks but sublime forward craft. Our best ground ball player. Put him in the midfield, put him in defence, I don’t care, he can do it all. Gun.
+ Hurn. I’m sorry, mate. Wanted you out this week. But you’re building. Just working your form slowly towards finals. Brilliant game for the former skip, best for the year for him.
+ Shep. Gov. Barrass. ******* feast off bad i50 kicking, and that’s what we saw tonight.
+ BANG, quick scoring. Darling, Ryan tonight. But again we ice a game in a short burst of goals and spend the rest of the game defending a total.
+ Cole with some nice efforts. Defender sneaking forward is a new favourite play. Barrass’ turn next!
+Redden big first half. He’s a bit of a barometer, old Reddo. Need him fit come finals.
+ Gaff’s workrate is just epic. Another game without rest, another game racking up touches, more inside time and more often than not used it well tonight. Our best mid after a quiet second half from Redden.

~ XON’s first quarter. Did a few good things for the rest of the game but mostly invisible after that. All quality when he got a look.
~ Naitanui and BBBW both with less than 60% TOG. We basically played a man down tonight. Good to see Nic get a rest though, and Bailey strut his stuff. Good grabs from Bailey and nice first goal, but his connection with the midfield wasn’t good at all. Still, Bombers mids feasted all game so not all on him there.
~ Jetts forward. Almost worked. Worth persevering with. Needs some radar tweaking. Maybe time that he got some mentoring from Ryan if he’s staying up there.
~ We look tired AF. Fair few times we completely lost structure behind play. Effort there for the most part though, but worrying stuff.
~ The Bombers forwards. Almost good game. Thanks guys.

- Kelly. Sheed. Shuey. Even Hutchings. The * was that. All of these blokes are lightyears better than what they dished out tonight. Touched up around stoppages.

+ Got the win, any win is a good win with that ridiculous fixture.

- Shuey injured. That one hurts. Really can’t afford to lose anyone else from the middle and need Kelly to level up right now.

Might just get a comment in before the sky falls

F22CD2E2-C495-48FD-9AF5-238B339794AF.jpeg 4BFB23FB-2836-4E20-972B-E57CB6CB3185.jpeg 121A8A43-525E-4559-B394-DB4B0E58282F.jpeg AA1FF977-1C32-4315-B58D-5205D6B3E0A4.jpeg A46237B4-0ADD-4978-AC7C-350AF533C69F.jpeg DE24E3DA-EE67-4DC8-821F-7FBE83DCE796.jpeg 0DA067B6-1975-48AC-BA9E-CB5A2F02D1A4.jpeg 3D2C3C24-3BF8-42ED-8651-29955EDEDA08.jpeg D530CC11-84CD-4B88-BD56-791EBEB5C6B1.jpeg 264F838B-3493-4301-B179-D7123CFF0247.jpeg 6EF1C123-04CE-46DB-997D-672F1A248C53.jpeg

Just a few results of other sides who are apparently so much “better” than us.

Yes our win was unconvincing but it was off a 4 day break against a strong running side. We can’t win by 50 every week (although we did choke away a bit of a lead this week and probably should’ve won by more), so take the win and move on.

There’s a lot of evidence (above) to say every side in the top 4 doesn’t deserve to be there based on some of the reactions. No one has looked unbeatable at any point of the season (except us at home) and it’s going to be the side that pulls it’s finger out for the finals (as it has been for the last 5 years). If we keep winning by whatever margin and make top 4, we’re as good a chance as anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you guys ever seen a cat catch a mouse or a bird and then just tap it around for a bit of practise at pouncing? Then just letting it die in due course. That’s what you all just saw.

With a compressed schedule, it looked as though we were just sitting in cruise control for the second half. The last quarter didn’t even look like we wanted to enter our forward 50.

Positives +
  • We got the four points in QLD.
  • Ryan a gun in QLD, one of our best players in the hub. Too fast for talls and jumps too high for smalls.
  • Darling was good as well, clunking marks especially having the best defender on him.
  • Allen did alright.
  • Gov was pretty good at least he clunked some today.
  • Barrass did well on Daniher but Daniher's set shots have been poor against us.
  • Nic Nat was ok and got us some center clearance goals.
  • Rotham was solid in defense.
  • Hurn's doing well and is kicking better as well.
  • Redden and Gaff was probably our best midfielders that day.
  • Cole and Williams scoring their first goal.
Negatives -
  • Not convincing at all but to be fair it was from a four day break.
  • Midfield got beaten with Kelly quiet.
  • Sheed was quiet as well and didn't do anything damaging.
  • AhChee did somethings but went missing for most of the game.
  • We may not have Shuey until finals. WTF was the medical team thinking in sending him back out there. We maybe forced to play Nelson inside and I'm not sure if Nelson knows how to play inside mid besides tagging.
  • Dicky McGeezaks forward pressure, they waltzed it out with ease.
  • Spoils went to Essendon crumbers.
  • Poor midfield to forward connection thus resulting in forward 50 entries going straight to Essendon's defenders, hopefully JK's return will make us more efficient next week.

Shuey not taking his injury seriously enough, seemed like he treated it a bit like a joke with his over-upbeat attitude. I hope that this changes the mindset of our players and our staff going forward when dealing with injuries. Hopefully treat them more seriously. Can't take any risks with these condensed fixtures.

+ Hurn was in good touch, bringing back some of his 2019 form.
+ Barrass was good, some important intercepts and strong marks.
+ Duggan and Shep both reliable. Duggan really is Beau Waters MKII.
+ Ryan, great leading target and his accuracy was super important in the end.
+ Darling's physically was particularly good. His eye looked sore in the post game interview!
+ Good work to control the momentum in the 2nd half and just grind it out.

- Sheed a non-entity, hopefully will step it up next week with Shuey likely rested.
- Some really dumb turnovers - multiple offenders being Hutchings and Redden, particularly when we are in an attacking position and the Bombers get one out the back as a result. Super frustrating.
- Lack of speed and ground ball gets around the contest in the 2nd - a fitness issue? Bombers waltzed it out with multiple quick release options and overlapping run repeatedly in the 2nd half.
- With the midfield so stretched and sore Ainsworth is our best depth for Western Bulldogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Negatives:
- The fox commentary team were doing my head in. Worst I've ever heard.
- Mids were down, looked tired and down (Shuey 15, Kelly 13, Sheed 11 Disposals)
- I hate umpires call, I hate it in cricket and I hate it in footy. It's wrong, if you ask for a review let the review team make the decision. Looked definitely touched before fully crossing the line.
- Jetta was ordinary on return, worked into the game late and hopefully better for the run.
- Defending of Tippa, 4 uncontested goals.
- Shiel n Ferret was all over our midfield.

Positives:
- Absolutely killed the game in the last quarter, when we looked fcked. Worse teams are overrun when cooked.
- Backline is a rock, they're so good.
- Darling and Ryan led the fwd line, huge effort.

Ooof.

I dont want to be a debbie downer but I would say that's our season right there. Without both Shuey and Yeo we dont have any grunt in the midfield to win the ball.

Bit of an over reaction here surely? We're top 4, winning games while blooding young players. Shuey and Yeo both on track for finals.

Midfield wasn't great tonight but Kelly/Sheed/Redden isn't a bad starting group in the middle. I mean they've all stepped up before.

+ Got the four points in a danger game to put us in the top four. We were dogshit for much of the night, but found enough class and composure to get it done.
+ Darling is really a leader now and Ryan's kicking goals like it's the WAFL. He'll kick ten one day and goddamn that'll be a fun match to watch.
+ Williams and O'Neill look great. Some flaky rookie stuff you'd expect but confident they'll both make it.

- The midfield is looking grim with Shuey and Yeo out. Maybe it'll work out well if they're fresh for finals? Trying very hard to convince myself of this.

Combined 150 champion data points between Sheed, Hutchings, Jetta and Ah Chee. Our senior depth isn’t holding us in good stead at the moment

Hope O’Neill holds his spot though he’s not always involved enough

I don't think Shuey is the same as Kerr doing his finger late in '07, we'll be okay.

The Simo spoke, he was good to help with a rotation for a few minutes in the last and not much more. Happy enough to trust them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back