Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the Yeo and JJ combination at half back. With them back there, we actually have some run and attack off HB. Get none of that from Witherden, Duggan, Hurn, Nelson etc.
Hough should be locked in as a small back for the rest of the year.
Agree, they are our most important players in attack from the backline. Duggan did some really nice stuff tonight but JJ and Yeo were stand outs and need to stay there.

Some really good individual efforts but the endeavour to improve the ball movement over the past two weeks have been very encouraging to see.

Positives:
Yeo taking the game on, making players come to him giving us space ahead of the ball
Hough looks a footballer
Forward line all very good tonight

Negatives:
Knew Cripps was greedy but he got hit up multiple times tonight then refused to repay the favour.

I think our players could block/shepherd alot more and there were some prime examples of this tonight, players always running ahead rather than sacrificing themselves to keep the ball moving forward.

Gaffs mobility is down a fair way and if he's going to dispose of the ball the way he did tonight he's really not an effective footballer and he'll be standing in the way of game time to someone like Chesser for 2 years on big coin.

They need an instrumental version of Eagle Rock for the repeat after the full play-through.

And yes, shut up, this matters.
We’ve done away with the banner, why can’t we just have eagle rock on a loop and the boys can sing the song in the rooms?

I love the Yeo and JJ combination at half back. With them back there, we actually have some run and attack off HB. Get none of that from Witherden, Duggan, Hurn, Nelson etc.
Hough should be locked in as a small back for the rest of the year.
Hough was on the wing coming off the square most of the game . 2 goal assists , is quick and attacks the ground ball .

I want to temper my expectations but he looks sooooooooo good !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:

A freaking win
JK turning back the clock
The rest of the forward line: Darling, Cripps, Rioli, Ryan all chipped in
Barrass came back after an absolute toweling in the first half
Duggan had his best game in a long time
Hough is gonna be a star

Negatives

Barrass making Wright look a good player in the first half
JJ gives us a couple of goals, but then also gives them right back when he gets the ball along half back
Kelly just doesn't care, Gaff likewise
Petrucelle and Jamieson were non existent

Barrass was given a near-impossible task, he's not ducking Superman. I think he did fine. Took a few intercept marks and spoiled. Get off him.
Gee that's generous.
In the first half he refused to play anywhere near Wright and was lucky that Wright hadn't kicked about 6 goals and completely changed the complexity of the game.
Sure, he was great in the second half but that first half was atrocious.

Last edited:
I know what ******* tiktok is you cheeky young whipper schnapper.
And no I won't have a drink with you.
Well I probably would actually
I’d drink you under the table, my liver ain’t comatose just yet.

The kids and Yeo absolutely carrying. Good signs for the future. The difference is they hit the ball with pace and fearlessness. Only against 16th placed Essendon but we looked good when we turned and went quickly. Need to embrace the modern game and just find the first option. Win the ball and there’s always an overlap

Also, while it was only Essendon, we won without an A-grade ruckman! I think this is a big deal because this is something we'll have to get used to.
Yeah it was really noticeable tonight. Jammo offered * all in the ruck. Baily was better but is pretty much a liability elsewhere..
If NN played tonight we won that by 6 goals plus.

Petch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back