Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

And I think I’m feeling the same.

Haha oh well.

A loss like that doesn't burn as much because we are Premiers, I feel that.

You would think deep down some players feel the same, you could certainly see Sheppard and Gaff have been having a serious crack every game, both in AA form.

Players who aren't performing need to be dropped. We have a solid handful of quality players in good form in the WAFL. We MUST reward effort and get the entire playing group hungry. If we dont we will slide and slide fast.

We were smashed by Richmond at home last week.
A week is an even longer time in football than usual this year.

You now have a 3 day advantage on Geelong, wouldn't be surprised to see you pass on the drubbing to the cats next week.
In fact, I'd enjoy it.
Really! Was wondering who you played and the result. Thought maybe it was a softer team while we had a hard slog against Freo - as some kind of weak excuse for last nights performance. So you bounced back from a tough gig with Tigers at home. Whacky season so far - Lions smash us, we beat Pies, Pies smash Lions etc.
Sure would be sweet to bounce back and do the Cats at the cattery. Tough gig though.
Going to be an interesting season.

Last edited:
Petro, Shep, Ryan and Jetta did what they could.

The mids were terrible.
The rucks were terrible.
We have royally f#*&ed up letting Lycett go given Nics injuries.
We AGAIN lost the game at selection going too tall in known wet conditions.
WE GOT BEATEN BY WHAT WE KNOW. Simo Im talking to you mate.
Darling needs to be dropped, three crap games, playing on reputation and lacks discipline.
Surprise, surprise Cripps played crap 2nd game back from no preseason.

Rotham should have stayed in and Oscar a late withdrawal for a more agile HFF /mid. MAllen maybe as Port had multiple big bodies cracking in hard in the wet.

Didnt even watch the 2nd half.

I thought Darling tried very hard in the derby.

A loss like that doesn't burn as much because we are Premiers, I feel that.

You would think deep down some players feel the same, you could certainly see Sheppard and Gaff have been having a serious crack every game, both in AA form.

Players who aren't performing need to be dropped. We have a solid handful of quality players in good form in the WAFL. We MUST reward effort and get the entire playing group hungry. If we dont we will slide and slide fast.
Am never sure about that logic. Whenever we lose, we therefore panic and install a bunch of inexperience as some kind of remedy? Players should be rewarded when it's suitable and players in bad form need to be reminded with a visit to the WAFL, I get that. However, I seriously doubt any new inclusions into last nights game would've made any difference to the smashing, or would serve us well against the Cats-another tough gig away! Sometimes other teams are just better on the day.
But yes, there were a lot of players out of touch last night. Shellshocked perhaps?
Maybe we get lulled into a false sense of security at Optus..
But you'd think the premiership hangover is now over..a very raw wake-up call was served!
And hey, we're not the only team so far to receive one, reigning premiers means nothing in a new season.

I see a lot of teams copying this tactic. Keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible. We don't have the strong bodied midfielders to win the ground ball. Evidenced by the fact we were something like minus 30 in ground ball gets

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/port-a...t-eagles/4fc3accf-8f66-4616-8dfc-842c0ac6e6c8

The conditions meant a ground ball game. Same as v Brisbane.

The question is will our coach and selection committee learn from two OBVIOUS mistakes at selection?

One can only hope!:mad::mad:

Am never sure about that logic. Whenever we lose, we therefore panic and install a bunch of inexperience as some kind of remedy? Players should be rewarded when it's suitable and players in bad form need to be reminded with a visit to the WAFL, I get that. However, I seriously doubt any new inclusions into last nights game would've made any difference to the smashing, or would serve us well against the Cats-another tough gig away! Sometimes other teams are just better on the day.
But yes, there were a lot of players out of touch last night. Shellshocked perhaps?
Maybe we get lulled into a false sense of security at Optus..
But you'd think the premiership hangover is now over..a very raw wake-up call was served!
And hey, we're not the only team so far to receive one, reigning premiers means nothing in a new season.

Dropping Vardy and not replacing Barrass with another tall and bringing in two smalls because it was wet is not panic.

Should have brought in two of Venables, Smith or Ah chee and played Oscar in defense.

Too tall and too inept below the knees in wet conditions.

Going unchanged after that performance to Geelong which is looking wet net week but possibly clearing is not smart IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad we have a tough game next week. Chance to make a statement. Will learn a bit I reckon.

There was one passage of play that insanely mirrored that final GF play. Vardy marked middle of the ground. Kicked to Ryan right HF who flew for the mark and was given a free. Grabbed the ball off the ground and played on and chipped to Sheed in the right pocket. Kick was just a touch too much and went out of bounds. Was uncanny. The spots were almost exactly the same as in the GF. The fact that is all I can come up with is a reflection of how putrid that game was.

JK will be fine. Thought he was building nicely last week. Not the game to judge him on.

Brooksby for Vardy?

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

We lost on workrate and effort. Fowards didt work to apply team defence to their backs who ran straight and took on the game outnumbering our. This is the olds Swans game plan so nothing new. We had to many not running straight to a contest and just not working hard.

Selection didnt change much. Cripps, Duggan, Cole, etc etc didnt work had enough as a team Redden etc side stepped cottests and didnt spread to counter their run. All mid sides mobile players. Masten looks fat and is unable to tackle.

Shep, Jetta, Hurn, Petro and Ryan earnt a game next week the others were dumb and capitulated.

If Barrass isnt ok then, based on form, Schofield has to be in the gun for Rotham. Schoey had an absolute shocker last night - offered basically nothing, multiple clangers, chooses to spoil instead of mark, etc. He hasnt earned a recall to the backline.

I also think Allen needs a rest. He's done well, but needs to be rotated. Last night shows that we absolutely need another small in the forwardline as well. Keep the lad hungry.

With the introduction of Gaff back into the side, the midfield has become unbalanced. Its time for Masten to make way so that Gaff can play his spot. Masten's a journeyman - like Schofield, he should not be Best 22. Great servant of the club, but move along please.

Finally, we just need to pray for Nic's speedy recovery. Our rucks combo would have to be one of the most mediocre in the league right now, and we are missing Lycett more than we thought we would (dude was everywhere last night).

Simmo's gotta rev the boys up and get the hunger back for next week.

Last night was a blur as I started drinking at ht. Woke up to this and I’m flat again.
1EA363BA-47D0-4969-8013-D0A565EBAEDF.png

I think a lot will be learned from that. Yes the midfield is still an issue and will continue to be, we are not a midfield of A grade stars. We have to continue to strive for improvement and that means trying players in modified roles. If teams just revert to the same in close and the same outside, doing the same roles each week, they get worked out, unless an individual is so brilliant they just can't be stopped. It's a balancing act of trying things and trying players whilst aiming for improvement in team and individual versatility whilst still getting enough wins.
We got a lot wrong but I expect each player being given variations has a greater appreciation for the work others were doing, that they now find difficult to do well themselves. Lot's of wake up calls from that game, for players and coaching staff.
Still wish we had Mitchell to pull it apart at the individual, body level. He's proving to be a major loss already!

Last edited:
If Barrass isnt ok then, based on form, Schofield has to be in the gun for Rotham. Schoey had an absolute shocker last night - offered basically nothing, multiple clangers, chooses to spoil instead of mark, etc. He hasnt earned a recall to the backline.
Are you suggesting Rotham plays second KPD? That would destroy him. Schofield stays in.

Sheppards a new man, the first time in his career he has had real hunger and intensity.

That's twice we have been destroyed a by young quick moving teams this year.

I think that's our weakness with the combination of thinking we've won before we've started.

We knew collingwood was a threat so we brought our good footy and just rocked up with an average attitude with brissy and port, both those teams are and played well I'm the night but we are much better than that.

When we were clean we looked OK but we needed to be clean the whole night to beat port simple as that.

A big negative is Kennedy's season something's up with the confidence and body he hasn't been good all year, hope he's got more on the tank were gonna need it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back