Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on this constant reference to DE%.

Is it due to training skills or change in game plan? The team seems to be shipping the ball and looking for uncontested marks tp control the territory and tempo.

Not sure how much credit a part time coach should be given especially with how limited the contact has been. More likely to be related to the change in overall game plan.

Probably a bit of both. Can’t say for sure when both things were implemented at the same time.

-ives

Injuries... with Serrong sore and Walters sore. Fyfe being managed.
Walters producing a major brain fade or two each game. He has cost us a goal directly from stupidity each game so far. Remove that, which should be easy as far as improvements go and he adds far more value.

+ives

Darcy - looked confident and strong before dog act. More please.
Brayshaw, Tucker and Cerra - Next wave of mids coming through strong.
Duman - very good game.
Some genuine A graders out and some classy talent. If we can add some of those over the coming weeks we only get better

People blowing Colyers trumpet based on his 4 disposals that led goals are showing how stupid stats can be.

I can’t remember all 4 but I know of 3;

Shank kick spooned high that Serong did a great job of getting up too surrounded by 3 Aints. Bad kick that luckily went near one of us and rescued by great effort.

Horrible decision to kick near Banfield in a 1on2 and the sun made the Aints look hopeless. Bad decision and bad kick rescued by luck and a good finish.

Nice kick to Tabs really wide who slotted a ripper. Questionable decision well executed and made great by Tabs.

The bigger issue which has disappeared because we won like Darlings scared goal square drop against Collingwood in that GF is Colyer rushing a pass with 90secs to go and choosing to kick to a wide open Banfield who is a horrible kick. Banfield stays open if Colyer keeps his head and holds for his 30secs but he rushes it and then so does BB. For a bloke playing based in experience that was woeful and if they’d taken down and scored we’d have lost due to his panic.

Im neither a big fan or a flogger of Colyer but the ballwashing of his game today is ludicrous.

Having said that, what a great fghyghen effort. Career defining potential for many, including our coach.

People blowing Colyers trumpet based on his 4 disposals that led goals are showing how stupid stats can be.

I can’t remember all 4 but I know of 3;

Shank kick spooned high that Serong did a great job of getting up too surrounded by 3 Aints. Bad kick that luckily went near one of us and rescued by great effort.

Horrible decision to kick near Banfield in a 1on2 and the sun made the Aints look hopeless. Bad decision and bad kick rescued by luck and a good finish.

Nice kick to Tabs really wide who slotted a ripper. Questionable decision well executed and made great by Tabs.

The bigger issue which has disappeared because we won like Darlings scared goal square drop against Collingwood in that GF is Colyer rushing a pass with 90secs to go and choosing to kick to a wide open Banfield who is a horrible kick. Banfield stays open if Colyer keeps his head and holds for his 30secs but he rushes it and then so does BB. For a bloke playing based in experience that was woeful and if they’d taken down and scored we’d have lost due to his panic.

Im neither a big fan or a flogger of Colyer but the ballwashing of his game today is ludicrous.

Having said that, what a great fghyghen effort. Career defining potential for many, including our coach.

Much of this I agree with but you don't get 30 seconds when you mark the ball outside 50m so I don't get the criticism of the "rushed kick" that hit Banfield on the chest.

It thought he got into the game when Fyfe went forward and was hardly sighted in the 1st half and noticed after Shultz kicked that goal Fyfe was in conversation with Colyer. He seemed to find the space in the forward line that helped him use his speed to be first to the ball.

Much of this I agree with but you don't get 30 seconds when you mark the ball outside 50m so I don't get the criticism of the "rushed kick" that hit Banfield on the chest.

Rushed in that he could take much more time off the clock. At least make the umpire give you a hurry up.
Also rushed in the sense that BB was open and not being closed down. He could have waited however long you can wait and he’d be there still. Or if he was dumb enough to move away and not be there you run time down to less than a minute and then go long and deep.
Either way it was panic that a man in his role should not have displayed.

Anyway, they didn’t score so it’s all good and I don’t want to keep on bashing a bloke after that amazing effort by all of the boys out there. Colyer was streets and highways better than BB for example so I’ll leave him be after that clarification.

On a different note. I have been very negative about Duman. He has lacked effort, lacked intensity and lacked balls. After quarter time today he had everything he lacked previously and more. Great effort by him.

And Ryan’s job was immense too.

So much to love from yday. Including and maybe even mostly the early effort from big Darcy. I’ve been astounded by some of the criticism of him. He’s going to be a beautiful brute for us.

Gerard Healy is such a biased w***er. Anyone else think max king was pretty damn ordinary? They love blowing smoke up the ass of their Melbourne private schoolboys - he has a long way to go in my view. His direct opponent Ryan was arguably BOG.
eventually Healy gave up about king but his excuses for the late hit by Marshall and the silence from him initially when long hit Darcy said it all.
he also kept saying Schultz is “normally an excellent goal kicker”
News to me because that’s been Lachies biggest knock as a small forward. These guys see us as an irrelevance so very nice to stick it up to them.

Agree with all your points other than Schultz's set shot record. I'd say he's better than most on our list (without looking at records).

Not a big believer in the popular ' defining game ' chatter for either teams or players really but I'm happy with the way the boys are fighting it out regardless of our position in the games , if we can get to the end of the year and have that set in stone with some real pressure on for spots in the team I'm not too worried what the win/loss record is

Any talk of tanking if the wins aren't there would be a mistake IMO

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most delusional a Saints fan has been since they thought they were a chance at Fyfe.
Some radio jock (96fm from memory) stated that there was never a surer thing in the AFL, Fyfe would definitively be at St Kilda. Either he was trolling them big time, or he was drinking the Kool-Aid too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen Hill was written off a lot earlier this season, but his composure & ball use off half back has been valuable. That last h/ball when he drew 2 or 3 defenders to him & then flicked it up the middle of the corridor was all class & pivotal to the winning goal.
Having him back there with Young & Wilson to a lesser extent, definitely has improved our ball use off half back & our connection through the middle of the ground is improving all the time.
Next step is quicker ball movement for better inside 50 entries.

All the players were asked who was in our best players today and most said Schultz. I thought he was pretty good.Not sure why the hate?

I’m not sure why my post is being construed as hate on Schultz. Just bizarre. I’ve defended him many times in the past from...hate and he played well yesterday, bloody well but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s limited as a player and we have better options on our list.

I’m not sure why my post is being construed as hate on Schultz. Just bizarre. I’ve defended him many times in the past from...hate and he played well yesterday, bloody well but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s limited as a player and we have better options on our list.
Agree with you but I think the weekend was the first time I could see him being as good or better than Switta. If he keeps that up, then he’ll be higher than Switta in my rankings.

Schultz is a better goal kicker and mark IMO while Switta better field kick. If the last two weeks are anything to go by, their pressure level is pretty similar now

Agree with you but I think the weekend was the first time I could see him being as good or better than Switta. If he keeps that up, then he’ll be higher than Switta in my rankings.

Schultz is a better goal kicker and mark IMO while Switta better field kick. If the last two weeks are anything to go by, their pressure level is pretty similar now

I’d like to see Switkowski playing for JLo to do a proper comparison but at this stage, the stats do have Switta already ahead on most stats including possession both contested and uncontested, more marks, twice the amount of tackles, double the 1%’s, more score involves, a much, much higher disp efficiency and more tackles inside 50. Yes, Schultz has a better goal average but he’s also played more games in JLo’s gameplan.

I’d like to see Switkowski playing for JLo to do a proper comparison but at this stage, the stats do have Switta already ahead on most stats including possession both contested and uncontested, more marks, twice the amount of tackles, double the 1%’s, more score involves, a much, much higher disp efficiency and more tackles inside 50. Yes, Schultz has a better goal average but he’s also played more games in JLo’s gameplan.
get em both in, would be pure effin madness lmao

Schultz reminded me a bit of dion Prestia at the weekend. If he could improve his disposal by foot and goal kicking he’s quality. The human meatball!

get em both in, would be pure effin madness lmao

How good would it be to have them both in and have forward pressure like 2013 when we had Ballas, Mayne, and Walters.

That’s a fair call, Switta’s ability has also probably faded in my mind a bit. Sadly, given his historical bad hamstrings have now migrated to his back, we honestly might not see him in purple again. Backs are ****ed

That’s a fair call, Switta’s ability has also probably faded in my mind a bit. Sadly, given his historical bad hamstrings have now migrated to his back, we honestly might not see him in purple again. Backs are f’ed

It’s a fracture rather than a disc issue so he may be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought that 50 metre penalty against Walters was crucial as was the umpires decision on Mundy caught holding the ball.I thought straight off when I saw it that Mundy was grapped too high (above the shoulders around the head),I ran the video in slow motion and I saw it as too high.
1594564864773.png

I thought that 50 metre penalty against Walters was crucial as was the umpires decision on Mundy caught holding the ball.I thought straight off when I saw it that Mundy was grapped too high (above the shoulders around the head),I ran the video in slow motion and I saw it as too high.
View attachment 911236
The 50m penalty was correct. The initial free kick wasn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back