Mega Thread Possible trades in 2015 for the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As things stand, Adelaide has a bit of a list management problem on their hands.
  • They currently have 2 list vacancies. Presumably Wright will be delisted, creating a 3rd vacancy.
  • They have picks 9 & 13, plus 2 rookie upgrades (O'Brien and Kelly).
Four does not go into three.

They can no longer trade a player out, nor can they do a pick swap, trading 9 & 13 for something higher. We're stuck with what we have in that regard.

They have 2 options -
  • Delist a contracted player (Lowden, Lyons, Grigg, ... ?)
  • Only upgrade 1 of the 2 rookies.
I bet they're regretting the decision to hand Grigg a 1-year "dead man walking" contract right about now. If they had waited a bit longer, then their problem would be easily solved. They really should have waited until after the trading period ended before making a decision on his contract.

It's not a problem. We don't have to upgrade both the rookies. Grigg wasn't offered/finalised the contract deal until trade period had been going a couple of days.

As things stand, Adelaide has a bit of a list management problem on their hands.
  • They currently have 2 list vacancies. Presumably Wright will be delisted, creating a 3rd vacancy.

They can no longer trade a player out, nor can they do a pick swap, trading 9 & 13 for something higher. We're stuck with what we have in that regard.

They have 2 options -
I bet they're regretting the decision to hand Grigg a 1-year "dead man walking" contract right about now. If they had waited a bit longer, then their problem would be easily solved. They really should have waited until after the trading period ended before making a decision on his contract.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
They've stated on the website pick 71 is reserved for Kelly. No mention of O'Brien being upgraded at the draft.

They have 2 options -

Why is leaving O'Brien on the rookie list an issue? If Sauce goes down LTI he comes in, otherwise if it is a few weeks then Lowden steps up - that's what he is there for

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
They've stated on the website pick 71 is reserved for Kelly. No mention of O'Brien being upgraded at the draft.
It also says that the lists will be confirmed on Friday 30th October.

Right now, we don't even have enough vacancies to use pick 71. That said, the AFL mandates that clubs use at least 3 selections in the draft, so we will have to use 71. The question is whether we delist another player (in addition to Wright), giving us a 5th round selection for upgrading O'Brien.

Ummm... no. Didn't the AFL also introduce a system, whereby clubs don't lose their 1st round pick if it ends up being in the top 3-4?

No, I don't think so, that's just bad luck for whoever traded it. How would it be resolved if they couldn't, does the club who received the future pick just miss out?

Why is leaving O'Brien on the rookie list an issue? If Sauce goes down LTI he comes in, otherwise if it is a few weeks then Lowden steps up - that's what he is there for
But what happens if Sauce goes down with a hamstring, or something that takes a month recover from? We don't currently have any players eligible for placement on the LTI list (Jaensch should be playing SANFL before R9). If Jacobs goes down, and we don't have an LTI eligible player, then we can't elevate O'Brien and we're forced to use JJ and/or Lowden as our #1 ruckman.

Given the choice, I'd rather play O'Brien than Lowden.

It also says that the lists will be confirmed on Friday 30th October.

Right now, we don't even have enough vacancies to use pick 71. That said, the AFL mandates that clubs use at least 3 selections in the draft, so we will have to use 71. The question is whether we delist another player (in addition to Wright), giving us a 5th round selection for upgrading O'Brien.
I am aware of that, and given Wright hasn't got a contract it is obvious we shopped him around but are now going to delist him. My opinion is that we won't delist any other player to allow O'Brien to be upgraded. We don't need to do it.

I am aware of that, and given Wright hasn't got a contract it is obvious we shopped him around but are now going to delist him. My opinion is that we won't delist any other player to allow O'Brien to be upgraded. We don't need to do it.
I think O'Brien's upgrade was implied, though not explicitly stated, when they gave him a multi-year contract.

I think the club was surprised to land both Seedsman and Menzel. I think they expected to bring 3 players in, and contracted the existing players accordingly. Landing a 4th player has stuffed them up big time. Now they have to decide what to do about it. They have 8 days to decide.

But what happens if Sauce goes down with a hamstring, or something that takes a month recover from? We don't currently have any players eligible for placement on the LTI list (Jaensch should be playing SANFL before R9). If Jacobs goes down, and we don't have an LTI eligible player, then we can't elevate O'Brien and we're forced to use JJ and/or Lowden as our #1 ruckman.

Given the choice, I'd rather play O'Brien than Lowden.

That's my point. What's the point of having Lowden on the list if you can't use him in the event that Sauce goes down for a few weeks? That's what he is there for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think O'Brien's upgrade was implied, though not explicitly stated, when they gave him a multi-year contract.

I think the club was surprised to land both Seedsman and Menzel. I think they expected to bring 3 players in, and contracted the existing players accordingly. Landing a 4th player has stuffed them up big time. Now they have to decide what to do about it. They have 8 days to decide.

After R12 next year we can upgrade him anyway, so it's really only the first half of the year we have to worry about.

It's not a problem. We don't have to upgrade both the rookies. Grigg wasn't offered/finalised the contract deal until trade period had been going a couple of days.

Yep, at the time they offered Grigg a contract I think they would have known it was highly likely that they wouldn't be able to upgrade ROB to the senior list.

Well i will be the first to say. Dmac deal didnt happen. I am not saying the source was wrong.
One thing was for sure that the conversation he had with the coach was he wouldnt been in there best 22. That is 100% right!!
I will find out more this afternoon.
Like i have said do not shoot the messenger. There was movement with him.
From what i heard and i am just passing on.
There was no interest even with pick swaps ect. This is the reality of a player out of form. Will NOT be in the best 22

After R12 next year we can upgrade him anyway, so it's really only the first half of the year we have to worry about.

So there will be 12 round in which we're at a risk that Jacobs is injured, but for only 4-5 weeks and we have no other long-term injuries on our list (and Matty Jeansch will probably be on the LTI list for the first few rounds). Plus we still have Lowden available as back-up.

That's a risk I'd be willing to take.

No, I don't think so, that's just bad luck for whoever traded it. How would it be resolved if they couldn't, does the club who received the future pick just miss out?
The NBA have a Pick Protection built into their lottery.

Based on the brief reading I've just done, it would appear that if the pick falls with in a certain range (ie top 10), then the club gets to retain it, but the traded pick then flows through to the next year.
So you trade for GWS' 2016 first round, turns out its pick 5, GWS keep it, but you then get their 2017 first round pick.

However, this system isnt a part of the AFL system.

Got a reference for that, because that's the first I've heard of it.
See my post earlier.
Was tabled, but never included it would seem

This suggests it was looked at. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-commission-trading-future-draft-picks-20150728-gimgzk.html

But this release from the AFL doesnt make any reference. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-06/future-trading-given-goahead-but-with-restrictions

Appears it wasnt included in final policy.

They have 2 options -

Agree 100% on Grigg deal. Why make it? If he walked or was traded out - so what? Really poor management I think.

That's my point. What's the point of having Lowden on the list if you can't use him in the event that Sauce goes down for a few weeks? That's what he is there for.
It's what he was recruited for.. but that was before O'Brien was drafted, and developed at such a rapid rate in 2015. Right now, O'Brien would be preferred to Lowden - and we can't play him unless someone gets a long-term injury.

What happens to the club with the #1 pick was never resolved.

I would think something with implications as large as this would have been mentioned in the AFL's press release when announcing that future draft pick trading had been approved. There doesn't appear to be any form of protected pick system built in to what the AFL have implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back