Pre-season 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez Josh Rachelle looks good. Hope we didn’t make a boo-boo taking Andrew instead. Time will tell.

Yeah. However Rachele will play for the SUNS one day. Give it time

From a few snippets on insta, seems like a stronger red team v weaker blue although scoreboard has red team only up by a small margin. Witts and Thompson both out there which is great news. Touk doing touk things, rowelly snagging a goal, sharp taking atkins for a run up the wing before slotting a nice goal. Weller doing kick outs which was probably expected

From a few snippets on insta, seems like a stronger red team v weaker blue although scoreboard has red team only up by a small margin. Witts and Thompson both out there which is great news. Touk doing touk things, rowelly snagging a goal, sharp taking atkins for a run up the wing before slotting a nice goal. Weller doing kick outs which was probably expected
Updates are much appreciated....:thumbsu:

And Jeffrey please. Reckon he’s more than in a sneaky chance to grab a tall forward spot with his speed, leap, skills and x-factor. Article on AFL.COM.AU saying he’s also impressed this preseason.

I could not resist to see the boys, so I drove to Metricon from Brisbane this morning.

It was a hot morning, 30 degrees when session finished at 11:30am.
Only crowd of 50-70 turned up.
Players were very generous with their time and friendly with people who stayed until the end. I really wish them success this year. They deserve it.
Coach King run the drills.
Coach Kaesler on crutches with a moon boot.

Boys turned up before 9am, 30 min warm up, 2x 30 min scrimmage, 30 min drills focused on ball movement from defence through middle , 20-30 min running.

Teams - positions could be incorrect in some cases.

Red team - 20
Lemmens, Collins, Powell
Markov, Ballard, Weller
Ellis, Miller, Sharp
Witts, Anderson, Rowell
Ainsworth, Chol, Macpherson
Rankine, Casboult, Jeffrey
Swallow, Holman

Blue team – 17
Brock, Thompson, McLennan
Graham, Nicholls
Atkins, Davies, Constable
Moyle, Tsitas, Fiorini
Flanders, Corbett, Hollands
Sexton, Burgess, Rosas

Plus 4 academy kids (Bella, possibly Walter, one look older)

Jeffrey swapped team with Corbett after first 30 min.

Not present
Day (wrist ligament damage), Luko (Achilles), King (ACL), Ace

Present, out of scrimmage
Bowes (no sling, looking good)
Murtagh, Farrar – both looking healthy, no activity
Uwland – no activity, I assume still recovering from back fracture/stress reaction
Andrew – no limping
Conroy, Budarick - both not involved in scrimmage but Budarick participated in ball movement drills, both practiced mark/contest with Ballard when team was doing running drills

Some bad news (but not disaster news)
Luko got Achilles injury according to Macpherson, hopefully not serious as Darcy mentioned that Luko could be a chance next week (probably not).

There were no injuries during scrimmage except one nasty contest which left Chol a bit uneasy but he finished the session. He did look a bit sore after the session.

Unfortunately, during running it looks like Hollands did something to his groin, he looked very disappointed afterwards.

Good news
It was a pleasant surprise to see Witts and Thompson in action.

Though Budarick and Conroy did not play in scrimmage, both seem to be close.

As for scrimmage, hard to assess as it’s only practice while watching from sidelines and most importantly my worried eyes were glued on Witts and Thompson.

Just some observations.
  • Red team dominated. Slick movement from defence and through midfield. Weller, Powell, Markov worked well together. Perfect spot for Weller, he looked great, Powell as well.
  • Witts looked good. For 10 min he swapped place with Chol. It was unbelievable sight Thompson playing on Witts 😊
  • Thompson also looked good. I am pretty sure he can still play at AFL level. Fingers cross his body holds up.
  • I enjoyed Moyle work in the ruck against Witts/Chol. Not sure how he goes around the ground, but he is good below his knees. I hope we re-sign him. I can foresee Moyle to get some games if injuries hit. Not sure how good is his tank but his body is Witts like.
  • Ellis had some good moments, so Miller and Rowell – both look a real class, Rowell always bobbled up with a ball, snatched a couple of goals, seems enjoyed having Witts with him in the middle.
  • Rankine scored a couple of his typical goals.
  • Sharp had a memorable moment when running 100m along the wing while Atkins was chasing him only for Sharp slotting a beautiful goal from difficult angle.
  • Casboult as predicted made a couple of nice contested marks. He did miss a set shot (it was actually a nice kick action).
  • Burgess, Casboult, Markov did some extra running.
I would say the red team is close to round 1 line up. Luko is obvious in if he is ready. Corbett could be fighting for spot with Jeffrey.

I may upload some pictures later if they are any good.

Last edited:
I could not resist to see the boys, so I drove to Metricon from Brisbane this morning.

Players were very generous with their time and friendly with people who stayed until the end. I really wish them success this year. They deserve it.

Boys turned up before 9am, 30 min warm up, 2x 30 min scrimmage, 30 min drills focused on ball movement from defence through middle , 20-30 min running.

Red team - 20
Lemmens, Collins, Powell
Markov, Ballard, Weller
Ellis, Miller, Sharp
Witts, Anderson, Rowell
Swallow, Holman

Blue team – 17
Graham, Nicholls
Moyle, Tsitas, Fiorini
Sexton, Burgess, Rosas

Not present

Uwland – no activity, I assume still recovering from back fracture/stress reaction
Andrew – no limping
Conroy, Budarick - both not involved in scrimmage but Budarick participated in ball movement drills, both practiced mark/contest with Ballard when team was doing running drills

Luko got Achilles injury according to Macpherson, hopefully not serious as Darcy mentioned that Luko could be a chance next week (probably not).

There were no injuries during scrimmage except one nasty contest which left Chol a bit uneasy but he finished the session. He did look a bit sore after the session.

Unfortunately, during running it looks like Hollands did something to his groin, he looked very disappointed afterwards.

Good news

As for scrimmage, hard to assess as it’s only practice while watching from sidelines and most importantly my worried eyes were glued on Witts and Thompson.

Just some observations.
  • Red team dominated. Slick movement from defence and through midfield. Weller, Powell, Markov worked well together. Perfect spot for Weller, he looked great, Powell as well.
  • Witts looked good. For 10 min he swapped place with Chol. It was unbelievable sight Thompson playing on Witts
  • Thompson also looked good. I am petty sure he can still play at AFL level. Fingers cross his body holds up.
  • I enjoyed Moyle work in the ruck against Witts/Chol. Not sure how he goes around the ground, but he is good below his knees. I hope we re-sign him. I can foresee Moyle to get some games if injuries hit. Not sure how good is his tank but his body is Witts like.
  • Ellis had some good moments, so Miller and Rowell – both look a real class, Rowell always bobbled up with a ball, snatched a couple of goals, seems enjoyed having Witts with him in the middle.
  • Sharp had a memorable moment when running 100m along the wing while Atkins was chasing him only for Sharp slotting a beautiful goal from difficult angle.
  • Casboult as predicted made a couple of nice contested marks. He did miss a set shot (it was actually a nice kick action).
  • Corbett, Casboult, Markov did some extra running.
I would say the red team is close to round 1 line up. Luko is obvious in if he is ready. Corbett could be fighting for spot with Jeffrey.

Thanks mate awesome work

Bloody Achilles is taking down some of my favourite players to watch Luko, Mills & Darcy

That Red team looks pretty close to a round one side.

Jeffery (or Corbett), Casboult and McPherson are the three that could be replaced. The rest are pretty much a lock as best 22 in my team.

Then just depends on who else gets an interchange spot. Maybe someone like a Fiorini or Constable, or even Flanders.

Great write-up!

Would love Flanders in the side over MacPherson. MacPherson must train really well, because he's rarely shown anything as a forward pocket. Flanders much better in that role IMO.

Fiorini also needs to be playing 1s. Who comes out though? Dunno.

Great write-up!

Would love Flanders in the side over MacPherson. MacPherson must train really well, because he's rarely shown anything as a forward pocket. Flanders much better in that role IMO.

Fiorini also needs to be playing 1s. Who comes out though? Dunno.
Looks like they only played with 20 players today in Red, so you can just add two more players to the bench for best 22. I’d add Fiorini there for one of them.

Agreed about McPherson. He’s an ok goal sneak and tackles, but his recent output has been sub-par.

That Red team looks pretty close to a round one side.

Jeffery (or Corbett), Casboult and McPherson are the three that could be replaced. The rest are pretty much a lock as best 22 in my team.

Then just depends on who else gets an interchange spot. Maybe someone like a Fiorini or Constable, or even Flanders.
Let's see how they go next week in practice match. It would not surprise me if Davies gets a nod. He had a couple of nice breaks away from middle today and has a great body already.

Constable - I did not notice him at all today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see how they go next week in practice match. It would not surprise me if Davies gets a nod. He had a couple of nice breaks away from middle today and has a great body already.

Constable - I did not notice him at all today.

If constable was on the wing he wouldn’t of seen much of against Ellis and sharp

If constable was on the wing he wouldn’t of seen much of against Ellis and sharp
I really don't know where he played. As I mentioned players positions on blue team could be wrong. I only noticed him jogging to the bench. I did not like his body language. I did notice Tsitas a couple of times. It was onslaught by red team especially in first 30min. I am pretty sure Constable would be behind Davies, Fiorini, Flanders and Tsitas. Maybe I am biased. Let's see next Fri.

Red team - 20
Lemmens, Collins, Powell
Markov, Ballard, Weller
Ellis, Miller, Sharp
Witts, Anderson, Rowell
Swallow, Holman

Blue team – 17
Graham, Nicholls
Moyle, Tsitas, Fiorini
Sexton, Burgess, Rosas

Not present

Andrew – no limping

Good news

Just some observations.
  • Witts looked good. For 10 min he swapped place with Chol. It was unbelievable sight Thompson playing on Witts
  • Thompson also looked good. I am pretty sure he can still play at AFL level. Fingers cross his body holds up.
  • Burgess, Casboult, Markov did some extra running.

So that’s who put up that report on the fb page hopefully Luko injury not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So that’s who put up that report on the fb page hopefully Luko injury not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I had to ask players about Luko. Normally, I don't talk to players :) and I usually don't go to training. I missed you there :p The boys are really lovely. I felt for them. It was borderline embarrassing that only 50-60 fans showed up. They thanked everybody for coming, chatted as long as fans wanted, shook hands (forget covid).

I had to ask players about Luko. Normally, I don't talk to players :) and I usually don't go to training. I missed you there :p The boys are really lovely. I felt for them. It was borderline embarrassing that only 50-60 fans showed up. They thanked everybody for coming, chatted as long as fans wanted, shook hands (forget covid).
One day we (and the players) will look back on these days and really appreciate how far the club has come. It's a far more special feeling when you feel you've been a part of something special that's been built from very little. Robert Walls often talks about his Bears days in this way and just a few short years after Walls moved on, the Lions became an absolute juggernaut of the competition. Michael Voss's first home game was played in front of 4603 people. Skip forward 12 years towards the end of his career and the Lions were averaging 33k to home games. They came a long way and that opportunity exists for us too!

Update from Tom Shao (FB). He has reliable info from the club.

Elijah is okay
❤️

Luko hurt his Achilles/ankle around Christmas, and got stood on in training on the same leg couple of weeks ago, he is just easing back, timing his run, Luko will be fine and will play forward.

One day we (and the players) will look back on these days and really appreciate how far the club has come. It's a far more special feeling when you feel you've been a part of something special that's been built from very little. Robert Walls often talks about his Bears days in this way and just a few short years after Walls moved on, the Lions became an absolute juggernaut of the competition. Michael Voss's first home game was played in front of 4603 people. Skip forward 12 years towards the end of his career and the Lions were averaging 33k to home games. They came a long way and that opportunity exists for us too!

I agree that you have to stay the course and player retention/ continuity is paramount .Jack Martin and a couple of others to Carlton aside I think the general AFL community want the Suns to prosper .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did Fiorini have an impact in the praccy game?
I would say no but was from the sideline and he was on blue team that was utterly dominated by red (probable) team. Let's see on Fri. I am tipping Davies over Fiorini.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back