Prediction Predict end of 2015 position finish For Geelong

Select predicted finish at end of 2015 season for Geelong.

• 1st

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • 2nd

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 3-4

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • 5-8

Votes: 32 43.8%
  • 9-12 (doomsayers out in force)

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 13-16 (doomsayers right - everyone retire!)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
Poll based on pre-season (I.e closes prior to round 1).

Prediction is end of season (after finals).

Optimists, pessimists welcome. Please provide rational reasons (David King exempted).

"Surprise packet" and "cream pie in face" prediction also welcome.

(Edit -Just noticed the duplicate 12th position - think I get the cream pie in face award)

I went 3rd or 4th because right now Hawthorn, Swans and Port are the best 3 teams in it. It's definitely possible for us to catch up to them but until we do I won't be predicting it.

On the positive side of things, the club seems to have recognised where we went wrong last year and taken measures to fix things up. We've recruited help for Hawk and improved our ruck depth. It looks like we will give Bews plenty of opportunities to help fix our small defender problem, and from all reports we are alot fitter heading into this season compared to the last. Added to that, Kelly and Bartel look set to spend more time in the midfield to give us some much needed experience and aggression around the ball in 2015. So the club seems to have identified all the areas that need fixing up IMO.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, there are 4 players that largely hold the fortunes of the GFC in their hands in 2015. They are Guthrie, Caddy, Duncan and Motlop. If these 4 players can elevate their game to the next level then we are a legitimate contender IMO. Time will tell!

Of course I'm gonna say 1st :)
tumblr_lrwc7cciDq1qmez37o1_500.png

I predict 8th (at best 5th position after home and away).

Reason - list quality is better, but 18-20 YOs will need another 2 years to build fitness base. Taking a list with 20% chronic injuries will impact. Rest of comp will also improve 10-20%

Rucks will be remain standout problem, but also opposition small forwards, clearances, problems with teams with pacy half backs.

Breakout season -
Guthrie (next level)
Bews (effective lockdowns)

Comeback
Gut feeling - Vardy will make a late season recovery.

Surprise packets -
Think Mitch Clark's second coming in pre season is not a surprise, but if he gets through full season at preseason form that would count.
Walker chance.
Cowan next.

Dark horse - Billy Smedts. He has finally done a pre season - if he gets a role where he can be attacking rather than defending think he may surprise some folks.

Cream pie - an old whipping horse but - the club for recruiting chronically injured rucks. Don't get me wrong - we owe everything to Wells and co for the glory years but recruiting three quarters decent and uninjured ruck 3, 2 and 1 year ago was essential. Pending miracle come backs, will cost us again.

Last edited:
I predict 8th (at best 5th position after home and away).

Reason - list quality is better, but 18-20 YOs will need another 2 years to build fitness base. Taking a list with 20% chronic injuries will impact. Rest of comp will also improve 10-20%

Rucks will be remain standout problem, but also opposition small forwards, clearances, problems with teams with pacy half backs.

Surprise packet -

Hasn't happened, doesn't happen, won't happen.

I went 3-4. I think we are still one of the top teams in the afl, obviously behind hawthorn, sydney, port and possibly Freo and North though but top 4 in 2015 isn't unrealistic nor is winning the flag.

I think we will finish 3rd this year, given we have a healthy list and no real injury problems.

Surely on track to be the first side to win a flag from outside the top 4 since the crows. Surprise packet: Rhys Stanley, will fix our ruck and contested ball issues. Probably as a part of some mutant midfield consisting of blicavs, Selwood and himself.
Cream pie in the face will go to tom Hawkins. Only because he will enter several cream pie eeating contests through the year.

Have Port Adelaide to win the flag.
Hawthorn runners-up.
Sydney 3rd.
North 4th.
Geelong 5th.
Gold Coast 6th
Fremantle 7th.
Adelaide or Essendon if they have no suspensions 8th.
Richmond 9th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We play Hawks, North and Sydney twice. We might win half and lose half of those games. Maybe lose to Port and lose 2 other games. 16 wins 6 losses puts us 4th.

Hasn't happened, doesn't happen, won't happen.

What about Geelong in 2007 ??

Geelong were $12 to win the flag before that season commenced

A woman i know had a $100 at the $12 - i said to here she was mad - 44 year drought - coming off a pathetic 2006 year - and that last game of the year against Hawthorn - well if you could smell death at a football ground - you smelt it that day

You didn't make the poll public.
Kind of defeats it.

I have us 8th. And I'll completely change my tune if we look deadly next week.

I think we have the squad to sneak into 4th but that would mean a dream injury run and mostly playing the experienced guys all season - then falling short in the Finals
I hope we use this Season to build for the future and rest the vets and play the kids a lot more - that's why I'm comfortable with 5-8th place
Games into Lang , Nakia, Kolo , Thurlow, Gregson, Cowan, Gore and Jansen - not huge amounts but enough to see what they have will be invaluable for a future assault.
Having said that - if Hawk and Clark start dominating and our defence holds up you would be bloody tempted to go for broke !!
That's why I love this Club - Go Cats !! :D

What about Geelong in 2007 ??

Geelong were $12 to win the flag before that season commenced

A woman i know had a $100 at the $12 - i said to here she was mad - 44 year drought - coming off a pathetic 2006 year - and that last game of the year against Hawthorn - well if you could smell death at a football ground - you smelt it that day

If you look again, you'll see that I commented only on his claim that "Rest of comp will also improve 10-20%".

Back