Prediction - Gold Coast Suns will fold by end of 2022 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am 100 % behind Tassie getting their own/stand alone team (which hopefully is community run and based) but I think the AFL need to make sure the Suns are a successful and sustainable club and not a feeder club for southern and eastern state clubs.

Steps I would do if I was the AFL

1 - Pay Damian Hardwick and Richmond out to get out of his contract with the Tigers and give him a 5-10 year deal to fix The Suns up on field as coach (probably best for Dimma and The Tigers ro part ways)

2 - Give them a COLA for players drafted outside their Academy region and or QLD, for 10 years, to try and build some continuity and stability for success and player retention at the club

Do that, and Tassie can enter the league by say 2035 and everyone is happy.

The afl stuffed up by not handing the license to Southport. They had the base, money and stability. Just look at Redcliffe in the nrl, they will be a power in 5 or so years
I don't necessarily support this and am pretty sure the AFL won't do it, but there's really nothing stopping a merger of the Suns and Southport. North Melbourne are a merged club (with West Melbourne) as are the Brisbane Lions. You could even argue Port Adelaide are a merged club when they overtook the "independent" history of the Port Magpies circa 1997-2009. The "Gold Coast Sharks" idea does seem doable but perhaps the one thing that would really prevent it from happening would be an admission from the AFL that they made a mistake in the way they set up their Gold Coast-based club. We know the AFL doesn't like to admit their mistakes so I highly doubt it would ever happen.

AFL fans always confuse on field success with off field success.

And when they do look at off field success they always compare it to arbetrary ideal outcomes, i.e becoming more popular than the NRL within half a generation, instead of the actual, more grounded goals.

The AFL wouldn't even be that concerned about the financial stability of the club at this stage. Because that's not the goal.

GC aren't going anywhere.

The afl stuffed up by not handing the license to Southport. They had the base, money and stability. Just look at Redcliffe in the nrl, they will be a power in 5 or so years

Is it feasible to merge the Suns/Sharks?

Get all of the good people (staff, admin, players) from Southport and put them into the AFL under the Gold Coast Sharks banner.

480 million lost in television rights. Hundreds of millions of dollars lost in memberships, merchandise.

No way to budget, no idea the length of this season postponement.

Marvel Stadium could be sold, clubs could merge, many league insiders expecting the league to lose much of its professionalism with 80% of staff stood down.

The bleeding hasn't started yet, we don't know when it will stop but once the recovery is underway, there will be a few quick ways to bounce back.

Number 1, the AFL purse will need to cut off its endless supply of cash to the expansion sides. Tasmania's hopes for a team fall further behind, Marvel Stadium and other assets will be on the table,

But the quickest and easiest way to stop the bleeding is to end the gold coast suns.

The writing is on the wall.
Loser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back