Predictions of fringe players making an impact in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

He's no big deal really.

Hawks fans probably hype him because they still have a fairly skinny list of talented youth.

Fair enough, but it seems like non-Hawthorn fans are more invested on whether he makes it or not than Hawks supporters are. I just don't get why it matters so much.

He's just another good average young player IMO. If he has a long career or becomes a star, good on him, but it doesn't make a difference to me either way.

Fair enough, but it seems like non-Hawthorn fans are more invested on whether he makes it or not than Hawks supporters are. I just don't get why it matters so much.

He's just another good average young player IMO. If he has a long career or becomes a star, good on him, but it doesn't make a difference to me either way.
He’s better than good/average, and he’s not a fringe player either, so I have no idea why he’s being discussed in this thread.

If Essendon put some serious faith in Langford and Laverde as big bodied inside midfielders, they're at the age where they could seriously come along.
We're showing patience with them, which is good considering where their physical and game development is.
Playing Jobe last year and, probably, Myers this year saves them from being smashed. Laverde has already copped a couple of bad injuries that have kept him out for extended stints.

I think you'll see one or the other rotated alongside Heppell, Myers, Goddard and Zaka as our inside mids.
By seasons end, it would be good to see both in the 22 regularly with 13+ games each under their belts.
this is the time for them to break out though. 21/22yo. Physically they are ready. They need to step their intensity at AFL level up.

Watch out for Begley as well. I am tipping an Oliver-esque step up for him in 2018.
He'll be less inside extractor and more outside bull than Oliver, but physically they remind me of each other.

Just one I'll mention, because he is genuinely fringe but could be a star.

Corey Ellis. If he can put on some beef (reports are he has) and can believe in himself could be a genuine AFL high quality mid. With Corey it's almost all in his head whether he stays a fringe player with untapped talent, or a genuine driving force at the AFL level. Super smooth talent, with brilliant skills. But there have plenty like that over the years that never 'made it'.

Paddy will be a good player mate
Looks like someone who can play to me:

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2018-01-22/mccartin-highlights-2201

Just needs to get through the rest of preseason without any hiccups (has reportedly just resumed full training last week, after missing about 7 weeks with that foot injury) and stay relatively injury free this season and I imagine he'll really step it up.

Just needs a good run of games and to really get his confidence back. Whether he stays injury/concussion free for long enough is the big question.

He’s better than good/average, and he’s not a fringe player either, so I have no idea why he’s being discussed in this thread.

Sicily is one of my biggest watch players this season.

The loss of Hodge (who I feel played a key role in keeping Sicily under control) is going to be interesting to watch.

I can easily see Sicily getting his s**t together and becoming a star.

I can also easily see him lose the plot completely and fall right away.

Will be fascinating to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Mirra - Hawthorn
Tom Stewart - Geelong
Adam Saad - Essendon
Alex Witherden - Brisbane
Will Brodie - Gold Coast
Tom Langdon - Collingwood
Caleb Marchbank/Charlie Curnow - Carlton
Sam Weideman - Melbourne

I think those 9 will take big steps and have a fairly large impact.
Marchbank and Curnow aren't finge players just quietly

Swans have high hopes for Jordan Dawson this season. Has a booming left foot on him and is developing as a midfielder/high HF nicely. Dominated in the NEAFL, which isn't saying much. Played one game in 2017.

At Collingwood, in think Will Hoskin Elliot is knocking on the door at elite level this year.

Which overlooked players at your club are the most likely to have a break-out season in 2018?

Neal-Bullen. Gets overshadowed by the likes of Oliver and Petracca but is building nicely.

Salem is another who will hopefully benefit from the lack of bricks dropped on his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back