Geelong sending players for surgery early and impacting GWS finals chances

Remove this Banner Ad

Lack of preparation leads to lack of continuity leads to lack of enforcing game plan/running out games.

Barely anyone on our list has had a clean run this year - starting from pre-season.

Simply saying, that the lack of leg speed isn't just that 25-30 players have all become slow in the space of 6-12 months - and that there are other mitigating factors involved.
I am not disagreeing with that I am just saying any team that has played fast this year has pretty much beaten Geelong and in fact my own side also is in that same boat.

We were robbed a spot in 2017 when Adelaide rested the whole team for the game in Perth v WC

WC Needed the win by a certain amount and they did so

What is your solution?

You can try to retroactively punish clubs when it is found out they have been playing people injured (e.g Cameron's surgery this week confirmed the worst kept secret in football: he's been a lame duck for 10 weeks). There's going to be so many grey areas though that it would be impossible to know where to draw the line.

If finals and top 4 were assured I have no doubt Dangerfield would've played 5 or 6 games less. Cameron around 8. It is dodgy that unless it's a torn muscle there can be wiggle room to roll out cooked players. But it's just what happens.
Rule of thumb is generally “ if playing them won’t make the injury worse, there is potential to play”.

Inject or drug them up and play through it… if a team wants to roll the dice and play someone who is on cortisone injections in his shoulder and can hardly lift it… what supposed advantage is geelong getting from this?? We are the ones disadvantaged no matter how you look at the situation. injured players requiring surgery are rarely going to be tearing up games.

The side carrying them is the one losing out.

Teams have always done this, sent players in for surgery early when they realise their season is over. So this is not a dig at Geelong specifically, they're just the example for this season.

Geelong have done it this week, and there's a direct impact on GWS. The Dogs are likely to win now, and can potentially win by a decent margin, thereby boosting their %.

GWS could miss finals on Geelongs decision.

All this talk of integrity of the competition and attention on West Coast, and even the Crows missing finals due to the goal umpiring decision is all fair, but why isn't this getting brought up?

Everyone used to kick and scream when teams rested players before finals, so much so that they brought in a bye. But again, this issue doesn't get talked about.

There is no way Geelong send all those blokes in for surgery if they were in finals.

One could even argue retiring players at home a round early (Cotchin & Riewoldt) would have similar issues - though this one is a little blurry.

I can't help but think that if Collingwood were in GWS position, there would be a lot more noise about it.

EDIT:

Example below of where there's noise around the Kangaroos not playing their strongest team, but no noise around other teams resting/sending players for surgery early.

Agree entirely with OP, Geelong should be fined and stripped of draft picks.

Rule of thumb is generally “ if playing them won’t make the injury worse, there is potential to play”.

Inject or drug them up and play through it… if a team wants to roll the dice and play someone who is on cortisone injections in his shoulder and can hardly lift it… what supposed advantage is geelong getting from this?? We are the ones disadvantaged no matter how you look at the situation. injured players requiring surgery are rarely going to be tearing up games.

The side carrying them is the one losing out.
True, I'm just trying to find out what the OP would propose to change this.

There's not many logical black and white rules I can come up with.

"All players selected when finals were a mathematical possibility must continue playing until the last round, regardless of injury status - unless omitted" Very dicey on player welfare and ludicrous from every standpoint.

"No surgeries until the completion of round 24" - nope the solutions are only going to get more and more ridiculous.

I am more so calling out the integrity of the comp though, where teams play weakened sides towards the end of the season, which impacts other teams and their position on the ladder.
I just don't think the fact that teams are playing weaker sides at the end of the season is an integrity thing. It's the element of attrition that makes getting to that last game of the year and winning it such an achievement. Teams will have key players injured, they will have older or injury prone players being rested to make sure they can get up for finals, they will be blooding youngsters to get a few games into them. It's all part of this time of the year.
If you were lucky enough to play a cellar dweller twice during the year, if you had a whole bunch of players injured in freak incidents, if you had a flu run through your club before a do or die game, if you play a team that can't make finals so they're sending some injured peeps off for repair, its all part of the variable nature of this competition.

Lack of preparation leads to lack of continuity leads to lack of enforcing game plan/running out games.

Barely anyone on our list has had a clean run this year - starting from pre-season.

Simply saying, that the lack of leg speed isn't just that 25-30 players have all become slow in the space of 6-12 months - and that there are other mitigating factors involved.

True, but I'd say the lack of leg speed of those over 30 - and some clearly and obviously went backwards this year - was a big factor at times.

True, but I'd say the lack of leg speed of those over 30 - and some clearly and obviously went backwards this year - was a big factor at times.

Don't disagree. But for me, and most tellingly, it looked like guys like Holmes, Stengle, Close etc. were all a step off most of the year too.

Smith was finished at the end of the year, and Tuohy is a part time VFL/depth player if he wants to play on for an extra year.
These guys were always on the precipice last year.

Then the injuries on top of an extra year, just completely cooked some of them. Danger was going great from Rounds 5-8, and then copped injuries off an on constantly for the next 15 weeks. Rohan never got going and was a shadow of himself last year. Jez was Jekkyl and Hyde this year in the first/second half of the season respectively. Hawk had an interrupted pre-season. So did Duncan. Stewart got injured early, J. Henry kept injuring his foot. SDK got his face smashed and looked like Batman.

Was just a disaster year, and one where we were honestly just pushing s**t up hill the majority of it. Everything went right last year, and everything went wrong this year. Can't afford injury to your depth as well, when you have so many oldies playing as well.

Having a clean out will be good for us, and I am genuinely excited to see the next 'wave', as soon as this weekend! Definitely time for a few of the oldies to call it a day.

Teams have always done this, sent players in for surgery early when they realise their season is over. So this is not a dig at Geelong specifically, they're just the example for this season.

Geelong have done it this week, and there's a direct impact on GWS. The Dogs are likely to win now, and can potentially win by a decent margin, thereby boosting their %.

GWS could miss finals on Geelongs decision.

All this talk of integrity of the competition and attention on West Coast, and even the Crows missing finals due to the goal umpiring decision is all fair, but why isn't this getting brought up?

Everyone used to kick and scream when teams rested players before finals, so much so that they brought in a bye. But again, this issue doesn't get talked about.

There is no way Geelong send all those blokes in for surgery if they were in finals.

One could even argue retiring players at home a round early (Cotchin & Riewoldt) would have similar issues - though this one is a little blurry.

I can't help but think that if Collingwood were in GWS position, there would be a lot more noise about it.

EDIT:

Example below of where there's noise around the Kangaroos not playing their strongest team, but no noise around other teams resting/sending players for surgery early.

so you are saying Geelong should base their selection criteria on another team's (GWS) chances at a final ??? , or based on some other imaginary secnario that suits your narrative? Seriously? GWS had their chance ( and stil do when they samck blues on weekend) to cement their spot in the 8.

We were robbed a spot in 2017 when Adelaide rested the whole team for the game in Perth v WC

WC Needed the win by a certain amount and they did so
You were "robbed" by your innate inabaility to acheive a finals spot on your own merits - you were given 23 games to win adn u came up short - absurd to blame your poor outcome on another teams ..

Just shows that the competition is 4 rounds too long and that the number of meaningless games to multiple clubs increases as the season goes on.

AFL just needs a policy where they review club decisions like this. If found out maybe the players involved need to miss round 1 next season as well.
The same could apply to players retiring and not playing the last game. Like Jack and Cotch how should the AFL punish the club involved then?

so you are saying Geelong should base their selection criteria on another team's (GWS) chances at a final ??? , or based on some other imaginary secnario that suits your narrative? Seriously? GWS had their chance ( and stil do when they samck blues on weekend) to cement their spot in the 8.

Same for the OP then if that's your response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under the current agreement with the Players Association the players aren't required to head back to training until November anyway so really not sure a one week "early surgery" makes any difference at all. Just means more holiday time for players over the next 10 weeks.

Players now get a bye and far shorter pre seasons.

So the "early surgery" excuse is yet another player concession that hurts the product.

Just means more s**t games.

It’s not an excuse for anything.
Your team of all of them should be able to appreciate the idea that as a club who tries to win the comp every year, as soon as that becomes an impossibility, the attention turns to trying to win the next one. Best way to do it? Get everything under control as early as humanly possible

Imagine the 18 afl teams are in the Tour de France.

There are riders every year in the tour - a s**t load of them - who aren’t there to win or even compete in a stage.
That’s neither here nor there for the sake of the analogy.

Let’s say 12 riders start the tour trying to win and they throw everything into it. Pick the stages where they go hard, pick the stages where they try and survive etc etc. they have crashes, falls, get violently ill and eventually they get to the final time trial and their chances of finishing in the mix are gone. You would not begrudge any team in that situation the chance to be cautious, do their best without risking their tilt at the Vuelta Espana.

Meanwhile there’s two teams who entered the race with no goal whatsoever other than to just get some experience on a grand tour.
It’s gone even worse than they could have imagined. But the silver lining is that whoever finishes last gets a massive time bonus at the start of the next grand tour.

So these two teams play silly buggers in the final time trial, deliberately fall, have mechanical issues that don’t actually exist, and try and out s**t each other as a deliberate means of losing.

That’s the difference between tanking and what’s being spoken about here

Under the current agreement with the Players Association the players aren't required to head back to training until November anyway so really not sure a one week "early surgery" makes any difference at all. Just means more holiday time for players over the next 10 weeks.

Players now get a bye and far shorter pre seasons.

So the "early surgery" excuse is yet another player concession that hurts the product.

Just means more s**t games.
You do know that players don’t just sit on the couch for ten weeks, right? And that you don’t just jump off the operating table and start lifting heavy weights?

Especially shoulder surgery.

You do know that players don’t just sit on the couch for ten weeks, right? And that you don’t just jump off the operating table and start lifting heavy weights?

Especially shoulder surgery.
Yep i do get that.

Doesn't change my view though.

There is still plenty of "* around" time for players over the next 12 weeks. I certainly dont buy they are 100% perfectly efficient robots all doing perfect rehab over the next 12 weeks.

I seriously doubt a week makes much difference. Some players will do rehab better than others.

Slightly OT, but is there any rule stopping a team resting most or all of its best players? What if Hawthorn and Freo decided the season’s done, can’t improve draft position so let’s just make it Bokky Hawks v Peel Thunder. Is that possible?

Freo got into trouble several years ago for sending practically a reserves team to play Hawthorn in Tassie because they had a finals spot sewn up.

yep..but Sydney too should have been having to win to guarantee a finals spot this week too..so the whole end to this season for teams from 6-13 trying to make finals has an asterix on it forever because of saturday night

Oh no the course of elimination finals losers history will be changed forever 😂

The Crows are 1-8 away from home.

That’s why you’re not playing finals.

And even if you were - you would lose week 1 anyway.

Onus is on teams to win to make finals.

Stop ******* stressing about what other teams are doing - GWS win and it’s out of the Dogs hands.

Teams that drop games to bottom 3 sides (I.e. the Dogs) need to rely on other results to make finals. Good teams do not need to rely on other results. If GWS is a good team, they will not need to rely on other results. Simple as that.

Additionally, why should Geelong delay their players surgeries and recoveries for the sake of other teams?
What if Jez Cameron pops his shoulder for good? Hawkins hamstring fully goes?

On top of that, at what point is an injury “bad enough” to miss? Who decides that? Surely a 35 year old with a dodgy hammy in the last month can miss the final game of the year without people carrying on about “integrity”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back