Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree Max. HQ seems obsessed with making the ‘A’ grade grand final much more than what it really is and has grossly overestimated its attraction amongst the wider VAFA community. For most of us our loyalties lie with our own club and generally we have but a passing interest in the other divisions. Of course some diehards get to as many games as they can but for most we just follow our own mob and switch off to some degree when our season ends. As I know quite a few people involved at both clubs I might get to the Div 1 GF but that would be it.

On another note ‘A’ grade was subject to a ridiculous stand alone bye in order to ensure the GF was on separate weekend from the others. On top of rep weekend and Queens B’day that created 3 byes in about 7 weeks. This was disruptive and unpopular with players, clubs and supporters. I wish they would just leave things as they are.

Woodrow Count – I guess they are trying to do the impossible and make this interesting but imagine sitting through that! No doubt clubs have been invoiced a certain number of tickets to subsidise the whole thing and will be stung whether they want to go or not.
I just wonder if the VAFA had made a mistake by not having the Premier Grand Final on the traditional Sunday, as it has been for 30 years.
Maybe the VAFA doesn't want to clash with the VFL Grand Final which is played on the same day.
Hopefully this year is a one-off and the VAFA could go back to its normal Sunday time slot in 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Selections for this weekend? Anyone else willing to give it a shot?

I think St Bedes will give Xavs a fair run for their money... Obviously put together some pretty good football last weekend, however they seem to lack a good key target, and the loss of Curcio hurts.

Prediction: Xavs by 10 points
Woodrow: Wynne

Bedes will stay with them for a half then Xav's will run away with it!

Xav's by 35
Kennedy = BOG

Xavs won't run away with it. They will get 15-20 points up in the third, then throw two men back (someone to join Wynne loose across half back) and shut it down completely, and the game will be played for most of the second half between the 45 arcs, without the margin changing much from that point on.

How many grand finals have Old Xaverians been in since 1995 and how many premierships have they won?

How many grand finals have Old Xaverians been in since 1995 and how many premierships have they won?

I think they've been in 15 out of 19 from 1995-2013, winning 11. '01, '04, '08 and 2011 the years they weren't there. The only other A Grade flag in their history other than in this stretch being in 1981.

Of the other teams since 1995, Collegians have played in 5 (2 flags), St Bernards and St Bedes in 3 (1 flag each).

I note that Collegians also played in 7 of 10 grand finals from 86-96, winning 3.

Xavs won't run away with it. They will get 15-20 points up in the third, then throw two men back (someone to join Wynne loose across half back) and shut it down completely, and the game will be played for most of the second half between the 45 arcs, without the margin changing much from that point on.

Thats only your opinion and you're WRONG!!!

A great night at the Woodrow tonight with young Jake Williams polling 3 votes in round 18 to come from behind and defeat Nick Jamieson from Old Scotch. Ross Young finished 3rd after not polling a vote in the last game where he had 45 possies v St Bernards, would have been a tie if he was awarded 3.

They deleted the previous couple of posts but FYI Penski my comment above is obviously a joke!

I just hope it's a good game!

A great night at the Woodrow tonight with young Jake Williams polling 3 votes in round 18 to come from behind and defeat Nick Jamieson from Old Scotch. Ross Young finished 3rd after not polling a vote in the last game where he had 45 possies v St Bernards, would have been a tie if he was awarded 3.

Was only named Blues 3rd best player that day Brian and considering the result was a draw it is therefore not all that surprising he did not poll a vote.

Albeit that these awards are generally reserved for on-ballers and midfielders it is still a brilliant effort for a kid who is still eligible to play U19s to win the medal. An outstanding young footballer. Nothing of him and he cops a hard tag most weeks. It will only be his size (or lack thereof) that will prevent him playing at the top level. However was apparently not good enough to break into the Old Xavs rep side that took on Vic County mid year. ;)

They deleted the previous couple of posts but FYI Penski my comment above is obviously a joke!

I just hope it's a good game!

I'm with you on that one. Although personally i'd like to see SBMT get up after the hammering that they weathered last year with players and some of the talk at the start of this year. To use less than 40 players through the season is a great acheivement in player management, considering the lack of depth outside their best 22-26.

I don't mind who wins, both deserve it.

Just had a closer look at the votes, interesting that Xav's had 20 players poll with the highest getting 10 followed by SBMT (15) and then Uni Blacks (14) and Old Scotch (13) just goes to show you need a good even spread to be up the top in A section!

PS: Not really news, actually a pretty poor post I'm just bored at work and filling in time, sorry!!

Albeit that these awards are generally reserved for on-ballers and midfielders it is still a brilliant effort for a kid who is still eligible to play U19s to win the medal. An outstanding young footballer. Nothing of him and he cops a hard tag most weeks. It will only be his size (or lack thereof) that will prevent him playing at the top level. However was apparently not good enough to break into the Old Xavs rep side that took on Vic County mid year. ;)
Great effort from the youngster but from what I have seen and heard, he is probably not on the radar of many AFL clubs, if any. Neither him nor Jamieson were standouts in last Sundays Young Guns game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old Xavs are freaks!
1sts - about to play in GF
2nds - won flag
3rds - won flag
Clubbies / Crocs - won flag
U19's - r/u

That will be 5 GF's for 3 or 4 flags. What a club.
I remember some douche on here a few years back saying that will start to struggle because their schoolboys weren't doing well in APS. LOL...school kids.

Old Xavs are freaks!
2nds - won flag
3rds - won flag
U19's - r/u

I remember some douche on here a few years back saying that will start to struggle because their schoolboys weren't doing well in APS. LOL...school kids.
How did they go last year?

the year before?

How would Old Xavs go up against the top sides from across Victoria like Vermont from the metro leagues and Eaglehawk from the Vic Country leagues if given the opportunity?

I'm not sure. In guessing they made Grand finals over their 5 teams. They are freaks.
\They won one flag..club xviii...that is my point...meaningless flag was the only thing they won last year..and didn't win the senior flag the year before(2011)...lost the unlosable unders flag this year..hardly 'freaks'

Poor old andy gowers,,,,how must he be feeling

\They won one flag..club xviii...that is my point...meaningless flag was the only thing they won last year..and didn't win the senior flag the year before(2011)...lost the unlosable unders flag this year..hardly 'freaks'

Poor old andy gowers,,,,how must he be feeling

Trying to land a blow here on Old Xavs is a futile exercise. No matter what we might think collectively of them as a club or about some of the people involved it means absolutely nothing. We can speculate about some of the ‘deals’ done or supposed preferential treatment afforded to them but at the end of the day they are far and above the strongest and most successful club in the VAFA and have had a run of flags at the top level that will never be repeated. So what if they have a lost a few GFs that might have been expected to win – they have enough silverware to ease the pain of those defeats. I know our club would kill for a slice of that success.

So while I dislike so much about the red and black I absolutely respect what they have achieved and trying to find some solace in the odd defeat is clutching at straws.

Footnote – the respect does not extend to the success of those flat track bullies who run around in the Club XVIII. Has been mentioned before but they are like the gun cricketer playing “F” grade so they can smash kids and old men out of the park. Grow some plums and play at your level and stop beating up on social footballers having a kick for shi%s and giggles.

Old Xavs are freaks!
2nds - won flag
3rds - won flag
U19's - r/u

Seniors - Premiers
Reserves - Premiers
3rds - Premiers
u/19's - Grand Finalist
u/19 (2) - 5th
U/23/4ths - Grand Finalist
Clubbies - Premiers

Love them or hate them they surely are the envy of the rest of the vafa

Did the VAFA's decision to have the Premier Grand Final played yesterday instead of the traditional Sunday pay off, or should they go back to have the grand final on a Sunday?

Did the VAFA's decision to have the Premier Grand Final played yesterday instead of the traditional Sunday pay off, or should they go back to have the grand final on a Sunday?

A very poor crowd and I must say a particularly flat atmosphere. There was a much bigger crowd and a far better atmosphere at last Sunday’s at the ‘B’ grade GF.

Very few neutrals yesterday with the crowd almost exclusively supporters of the teams involved. I think a previous poster made the point that the VAFA seem to over inflate the interest in ‘A’ section amongst other clubs. That was clearly evident yesterday.

However I don’t think the fact it was played on Saturday made any difference. I know the players prefer a Saturday as that it when we play all season, as do most supporters. I just think there was a sense of inevitability and maybe people are a bit bored with the same teams involved year after year. At last weeks ‘B’ grade game there was a real buzz in anticipation of closely fought contest. Xavs game style is about winning, not entertainment so yesterday was a real snooze fest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back