Premier B 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a query. After watching the Vultures beat OH last week I couldn't help but wonder why the umpires were throwing the ball up in the middle of the wet and boggy centre wicket area.. Then I thought I'd look at a couple of the games on the VAFA TV and noticed that other games were doing the same. Is it me ? Why couldn't grounds be marked with the circle on either side of the centre bog to avoid most ruckmen slipping into each other and not being able to take a decent jump at the pill. Surely its not that hard. On Sunday I watched some junior games and they had the sense to avoid the bog with the ball-ups . By the way Footystar, you'd be most welcome down at the Vultures nest at Gerry Green in Nepean Highway.

Just a query. After watching the Vultures beat OH last week I couldn't help but wonder why the umpires were throwing the ball up in the middle of the wet and boggy centre wicket area.. Then I thought I'd look at a couple of the games on the VAFA TV and noticed that other games were doing the same. Is it me ? Why couldn't grounds be marked with the circle on either side of the centre bog to avoid most ruckmen slipping into each other and not being able to take a decent jump at the pill. Surely its not that hard. On Sunday I watched some junior games and they had the sense to avoid the bog with the ball-ups . By the way Footystar, you'd be most welcome down at the Vultures nest at Gerry Green in Nepean Highway.

Ball MUST be balled up in the centre of the square.

Hey Guys,

I'm moving back to Melbourne after spending the past 2 years on the Gold Coast.
I'm 27 and haven't played footy in a few years and will be moving to Hampton so am looking for a club in the Premier B or C grade to finish out the year (happy to just play 2s as I have no match fitness).

I've played most of my life in WRFL Div 1 and also spent time in rep sides and TAC Cup when younger so my footy ability would be up to standards if I could get my fitness peaking, which is pretty far off.

I'm looking to go to a club with about 10-15km from my home and am looking at the following clubs, I'd like to get your opinion on the best option for me, or if you would recommend another club which could fit my requirements:

1. Big ground - Being a running wing/half back, I appreciate the bigger grounds, so this would be handy
2. Good quality people and vibe around the club after a match
3. Ripper Thursday night meals - This is a non-negotiable ;) Nothing better than a good feed on a Thursday waiting for the side!
4. Blokes who enjoy a punt, always good to have a beer and bet with the footy boys!
5. Club that are organised and look after their players (Obviously I understand this league doesn't offer cash, but business networking ideal).

Some clubs I'm looking at include Beaumaris, St Bede's/Mentone and Caulfield Grammarians, let me know your thoughts?

I think you'll find most clubs cover what you're after. All clubs have great blokes, some have a few spuds, some a few too many. There's an abundance of clubs in the bayside area you can choose from and I'd imagine Hampton rovers would be the closest to where you live, then old Brighton, St Bede's, beauy and maybe caulfield/parkdale although in opposite direction to each other - It might also depend on where you work?

As for networking, it depends on what you are after, as a massive generalisatio (don't crucify me here!) the district clubs can provide quite well for trades and the old boys good for corporate. Plenty of "small businesses" across both. But it really depends on what you're after.

Check out some of the club websites and look at their sponsors also to get a feel but your best bet is to email a contact from one of the clubs and they'll look after you.

You won't go wrong with any of the bayside clubs currently in B grade tbh.

I think you'll find most clubs cover what you're after. All clubs have great blokes, some have a few spuds, some a few too many. There's an abundance of clubs in the bayside area you can choose from and I'd imagine Hampton rovers would be the closest to where you live, then old Brighton, St Bede's, beauy and maybe caulfield/parkdale although in opposite direction to each other - It might also depend on where you work?

As for networking, it depends on what you are after, as a massive generalisatio (don't crucify me here!) the district clubs can provide quite well for trades and the old boys good for corporate. Plenty of "small businesses" across both. But it really depends on what you're after.

Check out some of the club websites and look at their sponsors also to get a feel but your best bet is to email a contact from one of the clubs and they'll look after you.

Sounds good mate, great post!
I think an Old Boys looks ideal, I run a sports betting website and work from home.

No one in their right mind would choose to train at Old Brighton's ground in winter, avoid!
I'd choose Old Haileybury, you may even get a game in their seniors towards the back end of the season.
Our 19's played there last week and it was a swimming pool, brand new surface, but no drainage

Hey Guys,

I'm moving back to Melbourne after spending the past 2 years on the Gold Coast.
I'm 27 and haven't played footy in a few years and will be moving to Hampton so am looking for a club in the Premier B or C grade to finish out the year (happy to just play 2s as I have no match fitness).

I've played most of my life in WRFL Div 1 and also spent time in rep sides and TAC Cup when younger so my footy ability would be up to standards if I could get my fitness peaking, which is pretty far off.

I'm looking to go to a club with about 10-15km from my home and am looking at the following clubs, I'd like to get your opinion on the best option for me, or if you would recommend another club which could fit my requirements:

1. Big ground - Being a running wing/half back, I appreciate the bigger grounds, so this would be handy
2. Good quality people and vibe around the club after a match
3. Ripper Thursday night meals - This is a non-negotiable ;) Nothing better than a good feed on a Thursday waiting for the side!
4. Blokes who enjoy a punt, always good to have a beer and bet with the footy boys!
5. Club that are organised and look after their players (Obviously I understand this league doesn't offer cash, but business networking ideal).

Some clubs I'm looking at include Beaumaris, St Bede's/Mentone and Caulfield Grammarians, let me know your thoughts?
Then there's Monash Blues. Not bayside, but currently under water:
1. Big ground. Scuba apparatus recommended. Running wing/half back: are you fast, skinny and sub 80kg too? You'll fit right in.
2. Mostly country blokes. Not too bright, but ok.
3. Player's roster in the kitchen, so it depends who's cooking. Mappa, Moose and Sturdy know their way 'round the kitchen. Maso is a good electrician, but not known as Dr Salmonella for nothing.
4. The boys run a punters club to fund the end of season trip. Last year's trip was to the Springvale RSL.
5. Tick.

Ball MUST be balled up in the centre of the square.
If the centre circle is moved off the cricket pitch area, the centre square must be moved also. Played at the junction oval in past years and the centre circle and square were always pushed to one side of the ground. Pretty sure the same is done at Hampton Rovers, it makes sense to move the circle off the bog of a cricket pitch area

No one in their right mind would choose to train at Old Brighton's ground in winter, avoid!
I'd choose Old Haileybury, you may even get a game in their seniors towards the back end of the season.

I forgot about OH - They are a good club also with good facilities.

You're right about beach road oval BS. If it's cold at Sandy, I can only imagine what it's like down there with wind whipping off the bay!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parkdale FC, Have a very young and developing list and will be a formidable force in the next few years. Good ground and a facility upgrade very soon.

Surely this is an archaic rule in the VAFA, I've watched a couple of SFL games this season and most of their grounds have used common sense and move the circle out of the bog. Stupid rule if what you say is true Mounzer.

have umpired Eslternwick park a few times this year and they do it well. Shift the whole centre circle and square wide of the glue pot. One of the few good things they do right at Headqtrs. :thumbsu:

Hampton v Monash - Seem to do well on the large wet ovals. Monash by 40.
St Bedes v Beaumaris - Obviously game of the round. Take Beauy on the rebound after losing to Monash
Scotch v Parkdale - Will be much closer than the 100+ point thrashing last time. Scotch by 25 points.
Old Haileybury v Fitzroy - Fitzroy need this win to keep a top 4 hope alive.
Brighton v AJAX - AJAX by 30 points

Scotch lost 3 out of 4 at home. You can cop Beauy and St Bedes but then losing to Parky? What's the go there? For all that were saying B Grade was finished. Monash beating Beauy and Parky beating Scotch make things interesting.

Scotch lost 3 out of 4 at home. You can cop Beauy and St Bedes but then losing to Parky? What's the go there? For all that were saying B Grade was finished. Monash beating Beauy and Parky beating Scotch make things interesting.

Anyone see the J Bull incident? He has been reported.

Anyone see the J Bull incident? He has been reported.
Think he was a bit angry after a player got knocked out behind play. Was going for a bump and the player got tackled into him resulting in a head high bump. Not really sure how the system works. Was head high but hardly any force, thoughts?

If he goes and they drop another game I think top 2 is out of the question they're already reliant on him on ball and holding on too top2 by a thread at the minute very untimely time to get suspenedes

Think he was a bit angry after a player got knocked out behind play. Was going for a bump and the player got tackled into him resulting in a head high bump. Not really sure how the system works. Was head high but hardly any force, thoughts?
Head high contact from a front on bump will incur a 3 week penalty, but a clean record will bring it down to two weeks. If the witness was not injured the penalty can not/will not be reduced, unlike the AFL. It is a clear weakness in the system.

Players are penalised for what could have happened rather than what happened.

Max "Neil Busse" Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back