Premier B 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

genius23

Rookie
Jun 20, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Head high contact from a front on bump will incur a 3 week penalty, but a clean record will bring it down to two weeks. If the witness was not injured the penalty can not/will not be reduced, unlike the AFL. It is a clear weakness in the system.

Players are penalised for what could have happened rather than what happened.

Max "Neil Busse" Leader

Max, my assumption is that is what happened with Groth a couple of weeks ago?

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva

Problem with VAFA is they make a blanket rule for front as there are very strong on the head being protected. The VAFA have extended the point of contact to neck, shoulders and deltoid muscle.

Bump a player from the side, dislocate is shoulder or damage the AC joint, not reportable.
Bump a player from the front, and hit him on the deltoid part of the shoulder, no injury, 3 week standard report, down to 2 weeks if pleading guilty.

I'm not in a position to make specific reference to any specific case, as they are all different.

I personally (and I mean personally) believe, that front on contact can cause serious injury, and should be punished accordingly, but when we see Jack Ziebel front on contact Sam Mitchell and get off as he didn't hit him in the head, then maybe the VAFA need to look at the resultant injury before suspending a player.

Max Leader

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Any chance of the 2016 Premier B Grand Final being held either at Trevor Barker Oval Sandringham or Visy Park, Carlton, instead of Sportscover Arena, Elsternwick?

Or does the VAFA have a contract with Sportscover which stipulates that at least one VAFA Grand Final be played at Elsternwick Park?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canada

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Any chance of the 2016 Premier B Grand Final being held either at Trevor Barker Oval Sandringham or Visy Park, Carlton, instead of Sportscover Arena, Elsternwick?

Or does the VAFA have a contract with Sportscover which stipulates that at least one VAFA Grand Final be played at Elsternwick Park?

Jase, this feels a little deja vu...

flat footy

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Jas, for christs sake, can you get over where they play the bloody finals......just turn up, where ever it maybe and enjoy the game

Blood Stained Angels

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2009
In a house
AFL Club
Sydney

The scotch bloke No-6 I think charged directly at him and hit him high, absolute no intention of tackling or getting the pill off the Parky bloke, should be a minimum of 3 possible 4 as you have got to take into account the intent of his actions. Weak effort I'd say.

Blood Stained Angels

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2009
In a house
AFL Club
Sydney
Think he was a bit angry after a player got knocked out behind play. Was going for a bump and the player got tackled into him resulting in a head high bump. Not really sure how the system works. Was head high but hardly any force, thoughts?

Are you serious, he charged straight at the parky bloke with no intention to tackle, dropped his shoulder straight into him and got him high, Got carded off, hoo roo 3 weeks min.

Winter Game

Senior List
Mar 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are you serious, he charged straight at the parky bloke with no intention to tackle, dropped his shoulder straight into him and got him high, Got carded off, hoo roo 3 weeks min.
If he gets 3-4 then the bloke he hit head high should probably get 6 for knocking the bloke out with an elbow behind play.
And if he gets weeks, Scotch are in a bit of trouble this weekend as I see they have been missing some good players over the past 2 weeks (assuming they aren't back this week)

Last edited:

FWIW

Team Captain
Jun 1, 2012
Skoda Stadium
AFL Club
GWS
FWIW anyone out at Brindisi? The Brighton boys seem to have got their act together which makes a few teams above a bit nervy. If they hold this form they could still make finals which would be a fair effort.

Blood Stained Angels

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2009
In a house
AFL Club
Sydney
Problem with VAFA is they make a blanket rule for front as there are very strong on the head being protected. The VAFA have extended the point of contact to neck, shoulders and deltoid muscle.

Bump a player from the side, dislocate is shoulder or damage the AC joint, not reportable.
Bump a player from the front, and hit him on the deltoid part of the shoulder, no injury, 3 week standard report, down to 2 weeks if pleading guilty.

I'm not in a position to make specific reference to any specific case, as they are all different.

I personally (and I mean personally) believe, that front on contact can cause serious injury, and should be punished accordingly, but when we see Jack Ziebel front on contact Sam Mitchell and get off as he didn't hit him in the head, then maybe the VAFA need to look at the resultant injury before suspending a player.

Max Leader

Just doing my weekly review on VAFA TV, Question, is the umpiring standard dropping from average to poor in some cases ? Geez they miss allot of inside stuff and high hits. In one game the ball was kicked and hit the umpire, he allowed play on while the players were going WTF ???? Then a hound ran on the ground and decided to get the footy, game still went on, should have been a head count for the home side with 19 players !!!!!!!!!

Mounzer11

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Just doing my weekly review on VAFA TV, Question, is the umpiring standard dropping from average to poor in some cases ? Geez they miss allot of inside stuff and high hits. In one game the ball was kicked and hit the umpire, he allowed play on while the players were going WTF ???? Then a hound ran on the ground and decided to get the footy, game still went on, should have been a head count for the home side with 19 players !!!!!!!!!

Re: Umpiring. I have seen B, C, D1 and D2 games this year. The best umpiring I saw was in D2 - worst was C.
I remember speaking to a former A/B Grade umpire a couple of years back and I asked him why he was not umpiring the higher grades - his answer was that he didn't train twice a week anymore. Does this mean that some better umpires are umpiring lower grades due to not being able to train twice a week?
Would explain things if true.

Winter Game

Senior List
Mar 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Umpiring has been alright in the top grades. Their are a few consistently bad umps and I reckon you're right Mounzer, they would stay up because they train twice.
Main issue would be that they have seem to have been told to not pay holding the ball (a lot of knocked out in tackle etc), but at least they are consistent with that.

Blood Stained Angels

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2009
In a house
AFL Club
Sydney
Re: Umpiring. I have seen B, C, D1 and D2 games this year. The best umpiring I saw was in D2 - worst was C.
I remember speaking to a former A/B Grade umpire a couple of years back and I asked him why he was not umpiring the higher grades - his answer was that he didn't train twice a week anymore. Does this mean that some better umpires are umpiring lower grades due to not being able to train twice a week?
Would explain things if true.
Yes Mounzer, you may have a point there, and I certainly have seen a few grades myself. There has always been issues with travel in the Ammos, maybe the Umps are also sick of travelling far and wide for a game. Standard in Premier B is very questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back