Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched us beat WC by 11 goals in a preseason game in 2018 they won the GF that year.

Exactly. Preseason doesn't matter in any sport. There are a bazillion examples of teams doing poorly in PS and then crushing it in the regular season and vice versa. My favorite is the Detroit Lions going 4-0 in the preseason and then went on to crap all over themselves and went 0-16 in the regular season. I love all these training reports, but the main thing I want to hear after every session is "No one was injured". 😂

Serong just said in an interview this is the most intense preseason he's been a part of so far. I'm confident we will have a strong year!

If we could somehow isolate it, it would be interesting to see whether the heat this summer will have a positive effect. After a few mild summers, this one has been pretty extreme. Another heat wave on the way from Thursday to Sunday.

If we could somehow isolate it, it would be interesting to see whether the heat this summer will have a positive effect. After a few mild summers, this one has been pretty extreme. Another heat wave on the way from Thursday to Sunday.
LOL 'Heatwave'... This weather is not out of the ordinary, I love how the media beat it up like we're all going to die from heatstroke... Rolls eyes

Exactly. Preseason doesn't matter in any sport. There are a bazillion examples of teams doing poorly in PS and then crushing it in the regular season and vice versa. My favorite is the Detroit Lions going 4-0 in the preseason and then went on to crap all over themselves and went 0-16 in the regular season. I love all these training reports, but the main thing I want to hear after every session is "No one was injured". 😂

Serong just said in an interview this is the most intense preseason he's been a part of so far. I'm confident we will have a strong year!

Preseason form means nothing but I recall going to watch a preseason game at Subi the first year Damien Drum was coaching, it was the worst game of football I have ever seen from Freo and the season went downhill from there.

21/22 was hotter on average I think. However this is certainly the hottest ever start to February. Likely we'll have broken the record for the number of days over 40 in Feb by Sunday and there will still be 2.5 weeks to go.

LOL 'Heatwave'... This weather is not out of the ordinary, I love how the media beat it up like we're all going to die from heatstroke... Rolls eyes
Interesting how you twisted a comment about the benefits of heat training into a rant about this chip on your shoulder.

Any sighting of Sam van Rooyen? Is he training?
From the 2 match Sims, he isn't gonna make the cut

A bit like delean in that he was out of position, dropped a couple of chest marks unfortunately

Has a decent kick but just doesn't get the ball enough, needs time at the WAFL to get a chance, still very small compared to his brother

Just a little tidbit that came out today, from the AFL's rules and tribunal review, that won't get much attention but may give us a bit of an advantage.

"In a previously unforeseen rule change, rucks will be allowed to use straight arm blocks when contesting a ruck contest, providing the player still contests the ball.

It looks as though this will be allowed at both centre bounces and around the ground.

My big boy is going to love this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a little tidbit that came out today, from the AFL's rules and tribunal review, that won't get much attention but may give us a bit of an advantage.

"In a previously unforeseen rule change, rucks will be allowed to use straight arm blocks when contesting a ruck contest, providing the player still contests the ball.

It looks as though this will be allowed at both centre bounces and around the ground.

As they said on International SUPERstar Soccer 64: "Annnd THAT changes EVERYTHING!"

I had the same thought but my joy at that was met with my dismay at Brayshaw missing every 2nd game from laying a textbook run down tackle every game

I had the same thought but my joy at that was met with my dismay at Brayshaw missing every 2nd game from laying a textbook run down tackle every game
Our boys are pretty good at dropping their weight and delivering a good dose of syndemosis, rather than driving them forward for run of the mill concussion.

We'll be right.

That's actually going to cut out so many unnecessary ruck free kicks. I love it

They will still find a way to ping Darcy at every contest as usual.

And give the brute/bull rucks a massive advantage. Expect to see leaping rucks up against the brutes, trying to jump over them with a run up and the brutes trying to engage physically early to take that away.

It will look so silly as the younger skinner rucks run away from the big boys so they can try and jump over them.

We might destroy at clearances now, actually dominate, as in twice as many.

Get on Jye Amiss for the coleman.

They will still find a way to ping Darcy at every contest as usual.
Robin Williams Movie GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

The AFL media will change their tune on "too much money invested in rucks" into "needing to invest more into rucks"

Or they will change the rule for 2025 after Darcy has a record score launch stat in 2024 and we win 18 games with a clearance differential of 1.5x min.

And give the brute/bull rucks a massive advantage. Expect to see leaping rucks up against the brutes, trying to jump over them with a run up and the brutes trying to engage physically early to take that away.

It will look so silly as the younger skinner rucks run away from the big boys so they can try and jump over them.

We might destroy at clearances now, actually dominate, as in twice as many.

Get on Jye Amiss for the coleman.
So this is why AFL house trademarked Flagmantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back