List Mgmt. Problems with our List going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a key forward; Gunston is not built to be a focal point.

I don't think Vickery is the answer but I think he will be the best we can get.

I still hold hope for TOB. The tools are all there in terms of hands and athleticism, he reads it well enough that he can go back and be effective – so the IQ is there.

Can he step up a notch or two, get stronger, get angry and hungry for the contest? If he does, it's good enough, and he'll be more than serviceable.

We don't need another Buddy, all we need is a 2-3 goal a week forward to take heat of Gunston, Sicily, Pop, Cyril and Breust. Even a 2 goal a week forward who competes hard would be enough (Shoe maybe).

Fitz and shoe obviously arent champions, but would have been much better if trained and played with the team all year.
We went a different way after roughys devastating news, and ceglar, bigboys season was probably a bit long for them. Bigboy slugged it out for two straight games though. Our team is banged up for the season probably more than we know, but many of them are capable of bounceback

i dont think Vickery is the answer either.....

this thread is about constructive criticism, finding problems in the list to hopefully make our list better as our list is getting old and change is needed, its not about how much of a fanboy/fangirl we are for these players, we obviously are grateful to these players for what they have done.....

saying *x player is cooked* doesnt mean you didnt love their previous 5 years of work they did for the HFC, its saying the next season or 2 they will be playing at a lower level and is that what we want going forward?......

Key forwards and key defenders. We have no quality coming through in either area. It is very hard to acquire a good big forward through a means other than an early draft pick and it looks like we are shipping those picks out this year and '17.

Frawley has had a good year too but does not mark the entry much and would benefit with the injection of that type of player in our defense but one does not currently exist on our list.

i have some confidence in Kaiden Brand and Heatherley as tall defender options, i think Brand showed he is good enough for AFL and Heatherley is at a similar stage only 10-odd games of AFL behind, as for forwards Sicily and Burton are our best option, Sicily is more a med forw, but Burton could become a power forward with a few years in the gym

i dont think Vickery is the answer either.....

this thread is about constructive criticism, finding problems in the list to hopefully make our list better as our list is getting old and change is needed, its not about how much of a fanboy/fangirl we are for these players, we obviously are grateful to these players for what they have done.....

saying *x player is cooked* doesnt mean you didnt love their previous 5 years of work they did for the HFC, its saying the next season or 2 they will be playing at a lower level and is that what we want going forward?......

Maybe the offence inferrance that this was obvious early on in the season, it wasnt. Maybe if we known roughy would be unavailabe, it wou have been different. If we take a year longer to return to the top because we took a chance on four in a row then so be it.

I must admit I did wonder that, as its known we will be active in trading, whether the club might be a touch ruthless to current players.
Ialso note that while we seem to be able to access quality midfield players, its not the same for talls. Our talls may be OK, but theres also a potential to 'drop off the cliff' in that respect, much like we lost hay, thompson, holland way before their time

Last edited:
so we throw out Hodgey Mitch Gibbo Lewis and any others you mentioned.......... import some kids.......... how long will that leave us in the wilderness??? no way the things that Hodge and Mitch for two bring cannot be quantified,, the leadership and inspiration...

yeah they won't be here much longer, but I won't allow such disrespect to players who giv their all

When Silk retires , which is likely at the end of next year we will only have Cyril left.
Hill going to Freo and Jerome will be delisted will mean there will only be one aborigine left on our list.

That is a real problem!

Well said...in hindsight getting rid of lake was a huge mistake...how many games did brand, litherland and heatherley play this year?? Bad decision...
Getting Omera and Tom Mitchell will help, but how exactly will they help kick goals?? Ryan Shoenmakers and tim O'Brien as key position forwards next year?? Laughable..how Ryan Shoenmakers had 3 kicks and took 0 marks last night with the way football is played is actually remarkable...and if you think Tyrone vickery is the answer, you're dreaming.
Lake has said himself that his body was cooked. I'm sure if he had another solid season in him we would've held on.

The sky is not falling.

Birchall Hodge Lewis Mitchell Burgoyne will be fine. I'd back them another year. The latter two were brilliant this year. Dare I say it was probably Burgoynes best season atleast statistically for the HFC.

Hodge was one of our best last night. Burgoyne IMO was BOG for us.

Gibson is the only one I'm worried about. Lost a yard of pace and with his side it is really exposing him. Clubs are realising you can pop a player on him to try and limit his influence because he no longer has the toe to cover the space between two players.

so we throw out Hodgey Mitch Gibbo Lewis and any others you mentioned.......... import some kids.......... how long will that leave us in the wilderness??? no way the things that Hodge and Mitch for two bring cannot be quantified,, the leadership and inspiration...

yeah they won't be here much longer, but I won't allow such disrespect to players who giv their all

so your plan is to play Hodge and Mitchell forever, very respectful to the players and disrespectful to the HFC...... i dont get it

i mean they are playing next year, they signed a contract, i just thought Hodge and Gibbo were going to retire at the end of this year before they signed contracts a few weeks ago

i also thought at the end of 2017 Birchall, Mitchell and maybe Burgoyne would retire

you're acting like you want them to go on forever when they are obviously slowing down

You didn't actually believe that to be anything more than an act of class did you?

0d9eab066d3802293ddc7f52169beded

Think he's been enjoying the weeks off on the buggy and scoffing down the party pies. Still looks like he could play though and would love him out there.

To be fair he's in a lot better condition than I thought he would be. Still see him ballooning out in 5 years :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post, I just wish Hawks would have the guts to drop some players like North have done, I think they re-contracted the players a bit too quickly. I would love to see Tye Vickery become a forward with us and be the key position player we so badly need. But yeh really need to get rid of some of those players. Shame Langford didn't come up to scratch this year, I love his agression at the ball and I was staggered that Spangher didn't get a call up against the cats, wold have been a better choice then Howe in hindsight who got dropped and the cats have had a bit of fear and repadation with Spangs, but he is getting older too, but I hope he can get into the team next year again. O'brien is just too skinny and not tough enough, Sicily hasn't done enough, he's a bean pole as well, he did a few good things in a few games this year and that was about it for him. Lake shouldn't have had another year as on foxtel he has said that he wouldn't have coped well and I have to agree. We need someone like Fyfe or Bontempelli, those monster midfielders, or a key position forward, so many times till bombing it in with the hope that cyril or Poppy will take a speccy......
Maybe because our oldies can carry us to a premiership. Their oldies are getting carried(except Wells). Big difference. We're not going to drop a couple great oldies if we have a chance at the premiership.

Last edited:
Good post, I just wish Hawks would have the guts to drop some players like North have done, I think they re-contracted the players a bit too quickly. I would love to see Tye Vickery become a forward with us and be the key position player we so badly need. But yeh really need to get rid of some of those players. Shame Langford didn't come up to scratch this year, I love his agression at the ball and I was staggered that Spangher didn't get a call up against the cats, wold have been a better choice then Howe in hindsight who got dropped and the cats have had a bit of fear and repadation with Spangs, but he is getting older too, but I hope he can get into the team next year again. O'brien is just too skinny and not tough enough, Sicily hasn't done enough, he's a bean pole as well, he did a few good things in a few games this year and that was about it for him. Lake shouldn't have had another year as on foxtel he has said that he wouldn't have coped well and I have to agree. We need someone like Fyfe or Bontempelli, those monster midfielders, or a key position forward, so many times till bombing it in with the hope that cyril or Poppy will take a speccy......
I know that I can hit the like button here, but just have to say what a great and accurate (in my opinion) post you have made hawksfan71, right on the button, couldn't have put it better myself; a great in depth coverage!

I still hold hope for TOB. The tools are all there in terms of hands and athleticism, he reads it well enough that he can go back and be effective – so the IQ is there.

Can he step up a notch or two, get stronger, get angry and hungry for the contest? If he does, it's good enough, and he'll be more than serviceable.

We don't need another Buddy, all we need is a 2-3 goal a week forward to take heat of Gunston, Sicily, Pop, Cyril and Breust. Even a 2 goal a week forward who competes hard would be enough (Shoe maybe).
Bucket loads of Scots Porridge Oats might do the trick for TOB.

This is a crap thread. I would think Clarko and the club know what our problems are and are targeting players, aren't they. There is no way we could have planned for what happened with roughy and schoey this year.

This is a crap thread. I would think Clarko and the club know what our problems are and are targeting players, aren't they. There is no way we could have planned for what happened with roughy and schoey this year.
Errr so it's a crap thread according to you because we are discussing things on a discussion forum?

s**t I am sick of posters like you trying to silence any talk because you personally may find it 'disrespectful' for whatever stupid reason you have, as long as this forum is around the only thing it's good for is fans talking football with other fans.

The older brigade aren't the issue. A hodge or Mitchell can slot into the back pocket still and do a better job than most of our list. The issue I see is really the midfield. As much as Clarko denies it, I'm sure internally that contested possession is a bit area of discussion and we need to bring in younger talent that can win the ball.

Ruck stocks are also down, and an area we need to look at.

Unfortunately, this great period of success has left our junior ranks quite dry, and today marks the first time in years we didn't make the vfl finals. That to me is a scarier thought, and whilst we can continue to bring in top up talent, I'm sure the club would also be looking a regenerating via the draft.

Sorry, had to re log in and reply was missing.

Yes after the retirement, of silk, we do still have a young gun of Aboriginal descent,
that is Keiran Lovell he played a couple of games year and hails from Kingston in Tasmania.

Based on what I've seen he will be good but we do need more.........

I think Vickery will fit into the forward role as long as he is willing to be coached to do that job, and as he is only 26, he still has some good playing years ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back