Proof that Eddie McGuire is "hopelessly conflicted"

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at their fixturing. Last year for example 12 of their first 16 games were STAND ALONE Prime time nationally broadcast FTA games. STAND ALONE means no other game on. Way to push your brand hey? Geez if i was a sponsor Id know who I'd be giving my dollars to. More promotion, more exposure, more money. It is self perpetuating.
West Coast, the reigning Premier, and by just about every measure as big or bigger club got 3 STAND ALONE primetime nationally broadcast fixtures in that timeframe. Collingwood get looked after like no other.

Look at their ratings. In terms of the broadcast deal funds, its utterly justifiable. West Coast wouldnt match that in the Melbourne market, and the Melbourne market is where the money is.

McGuire played a major role in the back room grand final extension. Collingwoods the only club with any clause in that contract, guaranteed 14 games a year on the mcg until 2057. He’s not just a club president, he’s a mcc spokesperson and a traditionalist who has plenty of power with political backing and influence with Gillon and the afl

Its can also be justified by nature of Collingwoods attendances - the extra 3 games guaranteed to make up for loss of preliminary finals crowds.

I haven’t seen this 14 games a year for Collingwood on the MCG. The contract that was reported said 43 home and away games on the MCG with 10 “big fixtures”. Haven’t seen anything specific with Collingwood

It was in the 2005 negotiations that changed the compulsory preliminary finals requirement.

According to the 2005 Annual Report [8]

Finals scheduling
After lengthy negotiations, we successfully concluded a new agreement with the Melbourne Cricket Club and the MCG Trust regarding the scheduling of finals at the MCG. The key elements were:

• Removing the requirement to play one preliminary final per year at the MCG in the event that two non-Victorian teams earn the right to host a preliminary final in their home states.
  • Ensuring all preliminary finals in Victoria are played at the MCG.
  • Allowing greater flexibility to bank finals in weeks one and two, with the clause amended to ensure that 10 matches are played over five years.
  • Delivering an additional four premiership season games to the MCG each year, taking the number of matches played to 45.
  • Delivering 14 Collingwood home and away games to the MCG
  • The AFL making the MCG available for other major sporting events on a limited basis.
• Scheduling any representative football matches in Melbourne at the MCG. • Provision to review the agreement every five years, but only to the mutual benefi t of both parties.

The AFL also reconfi rmed that the Grand Final would remain at the MCG until 2032, when the current contract expires.

That said its not in the 2009 Usage agreement. So who knows what the current status is. The AFL do get a bonus for attendances over the minimum though so it might play into that, not to mention its commitment to "schedule at least 10 of the 12 best attended home and away matches in Melbourne at the MCG "

Last edited:

Point completely missed here, is what Eddie said after, if privacy was wanted for the Geelong person, then why hold a bleeding press conference???

There is more to this than meets the eye, and not all to do with a Geelongs player???
But Eddie is one of those blokes who is targeted because he is not a hidden bulls**t artist, like lots of the AFL and club administrators, he tells it, like it is,
and when people who are like him, do that, all the whingers pop out and carry on like they are some evil conspirators. Get over it, that's my thoughts!

So he tells it like is? So Adam Goodes should be used to promote King Kong, nothing wrong with that?

It's funny, when you get heavily promoted stand alone games you get good ratings. It's like there's a correlation or something?

its almost like they were big before tv ratings were a big deal.

Note: lifelong carlton supporter/collingwood hater here, not even a victorian, but even blind freddy can understand the commercial aspects of the game.

It's funny, when you get heavily promoted stand alone games you get good ratings. It's like there's a correlation or something?
Of course there is. But the AFL and tv stations maximise those ratings with the highest rating teams.

Collingwood get treated like they are 4 times the drawcard that any other club. It's complete bull s**t and it is surprising people just accept that. Weird in fact. They get an unbalanced leg up. Fixturing free kicks left right and centre.

Last year in the top 10 highest rating games Collingwood featured 5 times (Which includes of course ANZAC Day where Preston 3rds vs Reservoir FC could generate a tv audience if got similar promotion).
The other clubs who featured in the top 10 were:
Richmond 3
Adelaide 3
Geelong 3
Sydney 2
Essendon/Melb/Carlton/West Coast 1.

Only Richmond got close to a fixture that had half the STAND ALONE Fixtures Collingwood got.

So no, I don't accept that Collingwood should get the massive, massive draw leg up they enjoy, because the numbers don't even back it up. The Crows got 5 stand alone games and 3 made the top 10 (and the Crows were s**t too). Geelong had the same strike rate. Collingwood were 5 from 14.

They aren't the the STAND ALONE standout eyeball drawer they are painted to be.

As I said, they got looked after like no other.

Collingwood get treated like they are 4 times the drawcard that any other club. It's complete bull s**t and it is surprising people just accept that. Weird in fact. They get an unbalanced leg up. Fixturing free kicks left right and centre.

Last year in the top 10 highest rating games Collingwood featured 5 times (Which includes of course ANZAC Day where Preston 3rds vs Reservoir FC could generate a tv audience if got similar promotion).
Richmond 3
Adelaide 3
Geelong 3
Sydney 2

Only Richmond got close to a fixture that had half the STAND ALONE Fixtures Collingwood got.

So no, I don't accept that Collingwood should get the massive, massive draw leg up they enjoy, because the numbers don't even back it up. The Crows got 5 stand alone games and 3 made the top 10 (and the Crows were s**t too). Geelong had the same strike rate. Collingwood were 5 from 14.

Hey I don’t accept the leg up Port Adelaide are gifted by the AFL, in getting large investments from China to play a game in China but the AFL Schedule Port Adelaide 11 home games at Adelaide oval. Get to play the Saint away on a neutral venue.

No other club gets this. Port get looked after like no other.

Hey I don’t accept the leg up Port Adelaide are gifted by the AFL, in getting large investments from China to play a game in China but the AFL Schedule Port Adelaide 11 home games at Adelaide oval. Get to play the Saint away on a neutral venue.

No other club gets this. Port get looked after like no other.
Lol what a s**t post. Simpleton.

Trust me, most of us Victorians are really sick of him.

He really should have been forced to stand down after that pathetic 'joke' about Adam Goodes being King Kong.

And he certainly should not be calling any games on Fox Footy.
I moved to Texas in '90. Honestly, I now have more familiarity with US sport than with the AFL - at least as it exists in 2020 (pre-Covid).
But I've never understood the enigma that is Eddie!
I can't imagine a current NFL Owner or President or Cheer Squad member or Mascot being allowed to appear on TV as a broadcaster. I have a nightmare where a pompous bastard named Jerry Jones is calling a Dallas Cowboys game. (for those who don't know or care - Jerry is the billionaire owner & GM of the Dallas Cowboys). That would never be allowed - viewers would be absolutely incensed!
Yet Magpie supporters are blind to any conflict of interest Fox No matter how much Eddie pretends to believe he is unbiased, he will always have a vested interest in almost every AFL game he calls - "how does a win by team X or team Y affect the Magpies?"
I can`t think of any other sporting competion in the world that would allow McGuire`s antics.
I only viewed Eddie's mindless bufoonery mostly from a distance! I left Victoria many years ago! I can't imagine a sport in the US that would allow Eddie to abuse a system & literally bury himself under a mountain of conflicting interests! He'd need to buy a ticket to get into any sporting event & he'd be lucky to have a job as a traffic reporter on the local Omaha morning news.
Blatantly biased commentators are not appreciated in the US media!
And Eddie is as biased as they cone! How could Eddie even believe he could ever be unbiased when he'd have to approach every game considering if a win by team A or team B would benefit Collingwood the most!
And his racial insensitivity in the Adam Goodes King Kong comments would have gotten all of Eddie's Chins banned from most television jobs in the real world forever! Not to mention being quickly fired from a position with any pro sport - football/basketball/etc - organization!
But McGuire doesn't live in the real world! A world where he'd have long been disgraced & unemployed!
In Melbourne, he is allowed to continue his career as a giant asswipe in the Victorian media. With a huge paycheck & no consequences for being stupid! Why?
He can commit racial vilification on multiple occasions! He can demonstrate anti-semitism for a national audience. And he can repeatedly demonstrate that he is a certified boofhead - yet still keep his jobs! He is truly a disgrace!

Last edited:
I moved to Texas in '90. Honestly, I now have more familiarity with US sport than with the AFL - at least as it exists in 2020 (pre-Covid).
But I've never understood the enigma that is Eddie!
I can't imagine a current NFL Owner or President or Cheer Squad member or Mascot being allowed to appear on TV as a broadcaster. I have a nightmare where a pompous bastard named Jerry Jones is calling a Dallas Cowboys game. (for those who don't know or care - Jerry is the billionaire owner & GM of the Dallas Cowboys). That would never be allowed - viewers would be absolutely incensed!
Yet Magpie supporters are blind to any conflict of interest Fox No matter how much Eddie pretends to believe he is unbiased, he will always have a vested interest in almost every AFL game he calls - "how does a win by team X or team Y affect the Magpies?"

I only viewed Eddie's mindless bufoonery mostly from a distance! I left Victoria many years ago! I can't imagine a sport in the US that would allow Eddie to abuse a system & literally bury himself under a mountain of conflicting interests! He'd need to buy a ticket to get into any sporting event & he'd be lucky to have a job as a traffic reporter on the local Omaha morning news.
Blatantly biased commentators are not appreciated in the US media!
And Eddie is as biased as they cone! How could Eddie even believe he could ever be unbiased when he'd have to approach every game considering if a win by team A or team B would benefit Collingwood the most!
And his racial insensitivity in the Adam Goodes King Kong comments would have gotten all of Eddie's Chins banned from most television jobs in the real world forever! Not to mention being quickly fired from a position with any pro sport - football/basketball/etc - organization!
But McGuire doesn't live in the real world! A world where he'd have long been disgraced & unemployed!
In Melbourne, he is allowed to continue his career as a giant asswipe in the Victorian media. With a huge paycheck & no consequences for being stupid! Why?
He can commit racial vilification on multiple occasions! He can demonstrate anti-semitism for a national audience. And he can repeatedly demonstrate that he is a certified boofhead - yet still keep his jobs! He is truly a disgrace!

Sums up the “Lucky Country“ pretty much.

Run by second rate people who share in its luck...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point completely missed here, is what Eddie said after, if privacy was wanted for the Geelong person, then why hold a bleeding press conference???

There is more to this than meets the eye, and not all to do with a Geelongs player???
But Eddie is one of those blokes who is targeted because he is not a hidden bulls**t artist, like lots of the AFL and club administrators, he tells it, like it is,
and when people who are like him, do that, all the whingers pop out and carry on like they are some evil conspirators. Get over it, that's my thoughts!
The press conference was NOT called about Jack Steven. It was a routine press conference covering many issues and questions were asked about Jack.

And I think point is completely missed by you. When and where do you draw the line between Eddie the President, Eddie the journalist and Eddie the ‘comedian’?

Last edited:

Richmond 3
Adelaide 3
Geelong 3
Sydney 2

I can't believe I'm even bothering to respond to this, but it is SO stupid and I've read comments like this so many times over the years.
Playing on Friday night means NOTHING.
It is done so ch7 get the highest ratings possible. It makes NO DIFFERENCE to Collingwood on field, and little difference financially, which is irrelevant due to salary caps any way.
This "leg up" Collingwood gets didn't stop Brisbane and Sydney winning multiple premierships when they mainly play Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.
"Getting Friday night games" - the most ridiculous mythical "advantage " in the sport.

I can't believe I'm even bothering to respond to this, but it is SO stupid and I've read comments like this so many times over the years.
It is done so ch7 get the highest ratings possible. It makes NO DIFFERENCE to Collingwood on field, and little difference financially, which is irrelevant due to salary caps any way.
This "leg up" Collingwood gets didn't stop Brisbane and Sydney winning multiple premierships when they mainly play Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.
"Getting Friday night games" - the most ridiculous mythical "advantage " in the sport.

Wow. You have a very limited understanding of how the world actually works. If Collingwood was put in Sunday and Saturday afternoon spots with limited FTA and national exposure, the first person to blow a gasket would be Eddie Mcguire. Eddie is a despicable person, but he is Rat Cunning. He also understands what prime time does to Collingwood's bottom line. Prime time means sponsors are lining up. Prime time means your club is constantly being talked about, Prime time means exposure, on a national level, not just a provincial level, prime time means exposure of your brand. It generates Collingwood money. Money equals power. Money equals the ability to do more than your opposition. How often do you here of players saying they want to go to certain clubs to play in Big Games? It gives you a competitive edge. You think McDonalds blanket advertise for fun? Go read Marketing for Dummies and get back to me.

^^ Just a dumb post.

Wow. You have a very limited understanding of how the world actually works. If Collingwood was put in Sunday and Saturday afternoon spots with limited FTA and national exposure, the first person to blow a gasket would be Eddie Mcguire. Eddie is a despicable person, but he is Rat Cunning. He also understands what prime time does to Collingwood's bottom line. Prime time means sponsors are lining up. Prime time means your club is constantly being talked about, Prime time means exposure, on a national level, not just a provincial level, prime time means exposure of your brand. It generates Collingwood money. Money equals power. Money equals the ability to do more than your opposition. How often do you here of players saying they want to go to certain clubs to play in Big Games? It gives you a competitive edge. You think McDonalds blanket advertise for fun? Go read Marketing for Dummies and get back to me.
Do you know why the AFL get so much for TV rights?

Think about that for a sec, then you may learn about that bold bit.

Look at their ratings. In terms of the broadcast deal funds, its utterly justifiable. West Coast wouldnt match that in the Melbourne market, and the Melbourne market is where the money is.

Its a national competition and advertisers with the big $$ don't focus just on Melbourne to sell their wares.

If Melbourne is where all the money is why are Melbourne clubs struggling and the Eagles are swimming in cash? It's not just 10 v 2 teams.

The Melbourne market isn't as big as the rest of the Australian market.

The fixture ensures the big Melbourne clubs stay big and the small clubs stay small and struggle for handouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back