Opinion Tanking. The elephant that isn't going away

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed finals by a whisker in 2002. All the talls broke down for one reason or another.
Croad and hay were as good as any kpd pair before that
Exactly.

One aspect of this is it truly is the AFLs fault. They didnt reward North for winning this game and bringing integrity to the game. The fix to the issue was simple

Give North pick 3 on the idea they MUST trade it then pick 4 for McKay

North trade picks 2,3 and 18 for pick 1 which Eagles would have done and then we go on our merry way with North doing the deal they want (pick 2 and 18) and Eagles getting the compensation we wanted by being able to get both McKercher, Curtin and then someone else like Hardeman with 18

In saying that im happier with just Reid myself then that 2,3,18 deal so in a sense maybe the AFL saved the Eagles but screwed North ?
lol. 2,3 and 18? North would have been laughed at for decades, even if Harley becomes a top 5 player

For me tanking is when you have the ability to win but choose to shoot yourself in the foot to gain a better draft position.

I don’t think any of the bottom teams fit that bill. They’re just genuinely not good enough.

Some believe tanking is to cut the fat (older players), play the kids and gain picks. I’m not sure if that’s “tanking”. More just a strategy of list management. Which has its downsides and is not a sure fire fix to gaining success.

What I don’t like is teams choosing to do said strategy then cry for assistance packages. Lions were a rabble in the 10s because our kids kept leaving, so we needed some help from the AFL. A good example of what an assistance package should look like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back