Proposed new Hobart stadium - Macquarie Point

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're asking whether Tasmanians would all drop our current mainland based teams - I absolutely would and I love Essendon. The allure of live sport would cause a pretty fast atrophy.
I definitely would too and my family have all said they would we are talking about our own team you can't beat that.

As for a stadium change in southern tassie which location do most prefer? Or do you prefer to stay at Bellerive? As I’ve said previously imo of the current venues that could be upgraded I’d go with KGV. Transport hub at its doorstep is a very good selling point imo.

As for a stadium change in southern tassie which location do most prefer? Or do you prefer to stay at Bellerive? As I’ve said previously imo of the current venues that could be upgraded I’d go with KGV. Transport hub at its doorstep is a very good selling point imo.

I am all aboard the TCA personally - I love that it has conditions that would make it very hard for opposition teams to win at, once the team is used to it. But I could absolutely see KG5 or North Hobart Oval becoming an AFL venue.

Where can you get this much space for building these days in Hobart where there's already an oval? Absolute ripper spot I reckon. I hope they'd keep the white picket fence. Most other places you'd have to demolish houses, this area is naturally beautiful also with a great view of Hobart the river and and the Mountain.

A roofed stadium would be ideal because places overseas that have roofs in cooler climates have seen a 40 percent increase in crowds and next to the Derwent Entertainment Centre would be a great location for obvious reasons.

A roofed stadium would be ideal because places overseas that have roofs in cooler climates have seen a 40 percent increase in crowds and next to the Derwent Entertainment Centre would be a great location for obvious reasons.

While I’ve got no argument even with a 40% higher crowds do you think it’s financially feasible with a maximum of 6 H&A games per year. I’m presuming your thinking of the elwick racecourse?

While I’ve got no argument even with a 40% higher crowds do you think it’s financially feasible with a maximum of 6 H&A games per year. I’m presuming your thinking of the elwick racecourse?
Well it could also used for Cricket and concerts and I'm in Northern Tasmania so I'm not sure what land is available next to the Dec but I heard other people suggest it recently and thought that would be ideal.

Well it could also used for Cricket and concerts and I'm in Northern Tasmania so I'm not sure what land is available next to the Dec but I heard other people suggest it recently and thought that would be ideal.

It would be a great location, elwick racecourse, but it wouldn’t come cheap. It would tie in with the DEC redevelopment very well if it was feasible but I’m just not sure financially it would stack up.

Colin Carter is in town to talk about Tassie's AFL bid,part of his time will be spent checking out potential stadium sites in Tasmania,it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Colin Carter is in town to talk about Tassie's AFL bid,part of his time will be spent checking out potential stadium sites in Tasmania,it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Imo KGV is the best alternative to Bellerive atm. I’d agree with a previous poster who said elwick racecourse but the costs with that would be to prohibitive imo

The trend for successful new stadia is building them in the CBD - Adelaide, Perth, Canberra are due to start building one.

If Macquarie point is available, it's the best site.

The trend for successful new stadia is building them in the CBD - Adelaide, Perth, Canberra are due to start building one.

If Macquarie point is available, it's the best site.
They allready have the plans drawn up for that location so that is very unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually the major fault of the new Perth Stadium is that it wasn't built in the CBD.
This added greatly to the infrastructure cost but worst of all there is a huge extra games day cost in extra staff and transport.

They allready have the plans drawn up for that location so that is very unlikely.

I think the Carter review will be important first and foremost for either supporting a Tassie side or otherwise.

A southern stadium review will be the second most important aspect. Unless it pushes strongly for Mac Point I don’t see it being an option at all relative to other new locations or upgrade of an existing ground, whether Bellerive or other.

From what I could tell of the Liberal election commitment to create a stadiums trust the focus was on managing existing stadiums including substantial upgrades over 10 to 20 years and potentially looking at a boutique rectangular stadium.

The Carter report has the potential to change this and put the ball in the governments court.

Darwin is getting closer to getting a new 300 million stadium approved that will hold 25000,surely if they can find the money for that then surely Tasmania can.

If Tassie gets a team i would rather they utilised a combined field of rectangle and oval and establish it at either at Acton Park near the Airport or north near Brighton so it's easier for the North and Central Tassie to get to.
Fix up the road system or even build a light rail north and to hobart.

The new stadium entity to own Tasmania's stadium has indicated it will look at building a roof on one of Tassie's stadiums with Bellerive the logical choice for that, will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back