QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure why anyone would still be worried about what happened this year, the race has been run and won and no rules were found to have been broken in the process.

Regardless of where they came from this year's recruits will only matter now if they stay and play in the QAFL, and despite any post-Covid hangover it's hard to see too many guys who supposedly played for the love of the game, to have a run with their mates or the old club jumper this year doing so next year if they have higher aspirations and/or get a better offer from elsewhere.

At the moment I don't think any club can do too much specific list management work until four critical questions are answered about the 2021 season, namely:
  • which Qld club/s are playing in the new second tier league;
  • by extension, which clubs will be playing in the QAFL;
  • what the QAFL salary and points caps will be.
Hopefully all of these question will be answered pretty quickly after this weekend's GF, but you'd have to think that whatever happens the QAFL comp will be stronger and more interesting than if Covid had never happened.
Good post however i dont agree the comp next season will necessarily be stronger (than 2019). With NEAFL players going south and perhaps 2 new teams introduced to QAFL, there will be player movement and the talent spread a bit thinner. 2 new teams requires about 20% more players. Hopefully Noosa can come in and do what Maroochy has done without the need to draw on existing QAFL talent. Redlands may not have to draw too much to get up to standard.

So while 20% more players will be required, there may not be too much of an effect on other clubs. However, i dont think the comp will be any stronger than 2019, unless a strong group of juniors comes in next season.

Lastly, about 2010-12 there was a lot of junior recruitment in SEQ due to the mass advertising and hooplah about the Suns coming into the AFL comp. The extra junior numbers and hence greater pool of talent that was 6-8 years old (about when kids begin sport) born 2002-5 are beginning to come through to senior footy. So we will see some good juniors from those years.

I have to agree on the sentiment of the first line. Too many sooky lala comments on here about recruits etc and swinging dicks contests about who produces the best juniors. Like proud parents some clubs supporters on here seem to suggest recruitment is a big dirty word. There is a salary cap and points cap. It is there to prevent or at least limit mass recruitment. It is very noble and will always be the preferred option to create your senior players from your own juniors, and every single QAFL does that to a large degree imo, as they should. But stating recruiting quality players whether from NEAFL, Victoria or the club next door is somehow poor management of your club it is simply a badge of honour, as FleetFooted stated, to prevent your club from drinking from the premiership cup.
All clubs should be planning their junior pathways, recruitment, improvement in off field programs etc.
Each club could name 10 excellent juniors. Move on.

totally agree, but there is a difference between recruiting and being a last chance saloon for anyone looking for a kick, knowing they will be gone the following season.

Many clubs will be kicking themselves though, as obviously the Top 2 took the attitude of 'take the best players and worry about it later' while others decided to 'protect their culture'. With the changes across the board, the Top 2 probably made the right call. One got a cup out of it, the other didn't - but they may actually retain a few (depending on points cap!)

The right call was probably 'lets take the best of the interested and available players and back ourselves to create an environment where they would like to stay'

I'm not sure why anyone would still be worried about what happened this year, the race has been run and won and no rules were found to have been broken in the process.

Regardless of where they came from this year's recruits will only matter now if they stay and play in the QAFL, and despite any post-Covid hangover it's hard to see too many guys who supposedly played for the love of the game, to have a run with their mates or the old club jumper this year doing so next year if they have higher aspirations and/or get a better offer from elsewhere.

At the moment I don't think any club can do too much specific list management work until four critical questions are answered about the 2021 season, namely:
  • which Qld club/s are playing in the new second tier league;
  • by extension, which clubs will be playing in the QAFL;
  • what the QAFL salary and points caps will be.
Hopefully all of these question will be answered pretty quickly after this weekend's GF, but you'd have to think that whatever happens the QAFL comp will be stronger and more interesting than if Covid had never happened.

Yes I hope so and thought it was this year. I enjoyed watching it and as a footy loving neutral with no connection to any club was happy to get a long to a few games and the GF. It reminded me a bit of the 80's QAFL and as much as its all very complicated for clubs, players and the league to work out the best way forward I hope its not all just about creating (very narrow) pathways to the AFL all the time and we can have a really great local state league comp

i'd suggest the academy pathway is going to get even harder to deal with in club land. Will be almsot the only pathway and kids will be burnt left right and centre and lost to the game. Hope I'm wrong!

I think the academy pathway has to remain, even if it is just for those kids who arent playing at QAFL level as U16/17 players - certainly as top agers they have to. Also to get selection in the Allies squad and possibly AA after that - is the best way of being drafted in the main.
If I was running the Academy though I would be looking at 1 training session per week maximum, put some faith in the club coaches and club environments to create good players (provide input if needed and roll up to trainings occasionally!)and forge good relationships with the coaches and ensure the boys know everyone is on the same page as far as their progress goes. Means the kid can train 2x/wk at club, retain good connections with support network and less likely to fall away at years end if the (likely) possibility of not being drafted occurs.
Speaking from a SC perspective it is just plainly unfair to expect a kid from Noosa to trek to Yeronga 2x/wk and sometimes more (320km round trip) in what is often a really busy year of school as well. It has to be changed.

I think the academy pathway has to remain, even if it is just for those kids who arent playing at QAFL level as U16/17 players - certainly as top agers they have to. Also to get selection in the Allies squad and possibly AA after that - is the best way of being drafted in the main.
If I was running the Academy though I would be looking at 1 training session per week maximum, put some faith in the club coaches and club environments to create good players (provide input if needed and roll up to trainings occasionally!)and forge good relationships with the coaches and ensure the boys know everyone is on the same page as far as their progress goes. Means the kid can train 2x/wk at club, retain good connections with support network and less likely to fall away at years end if the (likely) possibility of not being drafted occurs.
Speaking from a SC perspective it is just plainly unfair to expect a kid from Noosa to trek to Yeronga 2x/wk and sometimes more (320km round trip) in what is often a really busy year of school as well. It has to be changed.
They should go back to stingrays, power, raiders and that. 3 game carnival then pick a state team.

1st. at the youngest end, the academy has cast its net wider in recent years, as they are aware players mature at different rates. Up to u16s i dont think many slip through the net.

2nd, at the top end (17-18-19) are all given a chance to show what they have vs other elite players from other clubs/states etc. Again, if a kid matures late at 17-19 clubs can put them forward. In the end, very few slip through the net and dont get a shot. Some kids are great at club level, but fall short at elite level.

For example; Imagine a good centre half back at club level. 180cm, 77 kg. Neat skills, intercept mark, busy, not particularly quick or agile. At elite level he is too short for that position and hasnt the speed of agility to be a defensive small at elite level. That can happen all over the park. Great at club level, but exposed at elite level due to a lack of height for their position or a lack of speed and agility to compensate. If you are playing a talls position, at elite level you have to be tall. To be a small, you have to be quick and agile to compete. There are exceptions, but very few.

There are other factors. Work ethic on and off field, behaviour, ability to follow instruction, character, etc. I dont see a problem with the current system. Players whom deserve to be in the academy already are. Those that arent, but mature late and deserve to be are suggested to the academy by the clubs.

The academy has done a fine job from what ive seen since its inception. Its impossible to keep everyone happy all of the time.. Better judges than us are looking these kids over, including other clubs, scouts etc. If you have the talent and character, i believe it would be extremely hard to go unnoticed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

define 'elite level' ?

A kid who can compete in the QAFL is more advanced than an academy kid that can't.

If any of the Top 6 (probably more) QAFL sides played a game of footy vs the Suns or Lions Academy, it would be a bloodbath in favour of the QAFL side. They would absoutely smash them.

So why would academy games be considered 'elite' ?

define 'elite level' ?

A kid who can compete in the QAFL is more advanced than an academy kid that can't.

If any of the Top 6 (probably more) QAFL sides played a game of footy vs the Suns or Lions Academy, it would be a bloodbath in favour of the QAFL side. They would absoutely smash them.

Apples and oranges mate. Fully mature adults vs kids yet to mature fully. Some kids need more time to get stronger, just like draftees are often nurtured a couple of seasons before their debut. 18yo Mike Tyson isnt 21yo Mike Tyson. 18yo Ali wasnt even a heavyweight at 18. (both won title at 21)

Time travel those same 18yo academy boys to 26yo and play that same QAFL side, and the QAFL side gets murdered.

Theres a reason smarter, more experienced men than you and i are successfully overseeing the academy.

define 'elite level' ?

Just bc you are playing QAFL as a 17yr old doesnt mean you are capable of being drafted. I think the combination of both gives a pretty good idea. Kids need to be able to show their wares vs own age (for the reasons CT said) and if they can replicate at senior level then put themselves in the mix - but it isnt a tick to say they are definites.
I'm not against having multiple avenues of feedback but as long as it isnt confusing a player by conflicting with each other. Hence why i think the relationship bn Academy and club is actually more important than any other factor.

define 'elite level' ?

BTW Maroochy did play the Lions academy in a pre-season game - I think the Academy won from memory.

Just bc you are playing QAFL as a 17yr old doesnt mean you are capable of being drafted. I think the combination of both gives a pretty good idea. Kids need to be able to show their wares vs own age (for the reasons CT said) and if they can replicate at senior level then put themselves in the mix - but it isnt a tick to say they are definites.
I'm not against having multiple avenues of feedback but as long as it isnt confusing a player by conflicting with each other. Hence why i think the relationship bn Academy and club is actually more important than any other factor.
To not conflict with feedback would need a different approach by both Academy & club

To not conflict with feedback would need a different approach by both Academy & club

Easily achieved imo. Just requires a bit of trust from academy in club coaches to take on board what Academy believes is the crucial weaknesses to being drafted (if that is a possibility at all). Just requires a player analysis doc to be handed out. It also requires Academy to appreciate that all the kids are just one of many in a club system, no more or less important than anyone else and will be treated on merit.
In return clubs need to appreciate that what is being taught at Academy is worthwhile and will mutually benefit. I wouldn’t even worry about conditioning at Academy training, that’s for the kid to do independently. Focus on skill technique and IQ. And clubs need to appreciTe there will be weekends the kids can’t play....

Hearing Redlands and Vicky point have joined forces and have already made their pitch to aflq to join the qafl in 2021 with Noosa also getting ready to make their case to join in the coming weeks.Have our agm tonight so pretty important we get a strong committee who have a vested interest in moving up a level and working much harder!

Has the huge signing on Nick Malcezki as Labrador coach been overlooked here?
Yes huge signing. Great for local footy. Sherwood advertised for a new coach and applications closed 16th this month i think. Bet they cant top that!

Easily achieved imo. Just requires a bit of trust from academy in club coaches to take on board what Academy believes is the crucial weaknesses to being drafted (if that is a possibility at all). Just requires a player analysis doc to be handed out. It also requires Academy to appreciate that all the kids are just one of many in a club system, no more or less important than anyone else and will be treated on merit.
In return clubs need to appreciate that what is being taught at Academy is worthwhile and will mutually benefit. I wouldn’t even worry about conditioning at Academy training, that’s for the kid to do independently. Focus on skill technique and IQ. And clubs need to appreciTe there will be weekends the kids can’t play....
100% agree. A little bit of give and take from each of player, Academy and club structured around an agreed communication

Yes huge signing. Great for local footy. Sherwood advertised for a new coach and applications closed 16th this month i think. Bet they cant top that!

Any news on Sherwood candidates? Hearing Adrian Fletcher applied again for gig?

All other coaches reappointed for 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back