QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

half right, half wrong imo. The lure of living by the sea is fine.... if you have employment which is much easier to source in a capital city. BUT right now covid has created the totally unexpected scenario of rural towns all over Australia having a resurgence of which the sunshine coast is a major beneficiary. This has led to a building boom in the area meaning most builders are screaming out for tradesmen. Only tradies not busy are rubbish ones. I think Noosa people in particular will tell you that their economy fluctuates greatly and the playing personnel fluctuates with it. That clubs strength in recent years has been the locals, not the recruits.

All fair points mate, but I am really talking about what's happening with recruiting right now where perception of life by the beach (in the eyes of the player and/or his partner) is probably more important than reality.

I agree that availability of work is absolutely fundamental, but if there's a job for the player wherever he goes it's going to be hard to convince him to live in Newmarket rather than Noosa or even Nerang.

Be nice guys.... fair enough to bring up the recruit vs develop debate. Of course with the points system, clubs now must do both which I think is great for football. Rather than the richest clubs usually winning.

Now that the VFL blokes are free agents, it’ll be interesting how the QAFL clubs handle it. Given only 4 of the main VFL list can play in a QAFL team it’ll be counter productive to have too many VFL guys (and Disruptive of course) but on the other hand given the VFL lists are stronger and returning players are 1 point, there’s incentive to have a few contracted/aligned back.

Be nice guys.... fair enough to bring up the recruit vs develop debate. Of course with the points system, clubs now must do both which I think is great for football. Rather than the richest clubs usually winning.

Now that the VFL blokes are free agents, it’ll be interesting how the QAFL clubs handle it. Given only 4 of the main VFL list can play in a QAFL team it’ll be counter productive to have too many VFL guys (and Disruptive of course) but on the other hand given the VFL lists are stronger and returning players are 1 point, there’s incentive to have a few contracted/aligned back.
Yes that is spot on.We have four aligned with us three being noosa juniors.Don’t expect to see too much of them from what we’ve been told which is just fantastic for them.Thought we may have been able to play them prior to the vfl comp starting but apparently not allowed.

Actively recruting talent from Vic surely has to be low on the priority list. Clubs have a responsbility to develop and nurture the home grown talent and that should be the main focus.

Clubs resolve to recruiting from Vic when they are incompetent in attracting local talent and developing with-in hence seeking interstate recruits to buy success

Good clubs find other ways to attract locals to their club , not all need to throw cash around , the ones with poor culture and history often have to

Yeah not sure I can really see the difference tbh. Any club that looks outside its 4 walls for players is pillaging from someone no matter how you want to sugar coat it. Nothing wrong with that if its sustainable and keeps you within the salary cap / points. The very best clubs generate alot of their playing group from the junior group if fortunate enough to be attached to a good junior club. Others find a way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t need to play at a Club to know what it’s culture is like

what exactly is meant by terrible culture anyway?

Look at Richmond, a whole bunch of negative stuff “cultural issues” in the media this year all forgotten because they won the premiership.
Bet if they lost the media would have said it was because of all the off field stuff.

point is people judge culture mostly on W and L and footy being such a game of inches it’s never that simple...

All footy clubs have their ups and downs but are overall good places to be and it’s disrespectful to say another club has a terrible culture just because they’ve lost a few games or whatever

what exactly is meant by terrible culture anyway?

Look at Richmond, a whole bunch of negative stuff “cultural issues” in the media this year all forgotten because they won the premiership.
Bet if they lost the media would have said it was because of all the off field stuff.

point is people judge culture mostly on W and L and footy being such a game of inches it’s never that simple...

All footy clubs have their ups and downs but are overall good places to be and it’s disrespectful to say another club has a terrible culture just because they’ve lost a few games or whatever

Spot on - the only way you could possibly question a clubs culture is if a whole lot of people left en mass (and not in some major recruiting coup by a former coach) or they have found it difficult to put 2 sides on the paddock due to lack of numbers. I know of clubs where drugs are rife, not uncommon for players to be out on Friday nights and possibly other unsavoury behaviours occur - but they keep winning games of footy so these sort of issues are papered over. The people there would say they have a great culture anyway bc they win matches and they have a happy and social playing group.
Think culture is a good place to start for a losing club and what behaviours are getting in the way of us being successful or recruiting players but as 2010 said, the Tigers seemed far more at sea in 2020 than say Sydney.....

View attachment 1064005

Im all for womens footy but it looks like the league is more invested in it than the boys. Doubt we will see a season launch type media shoot. A draw would be a good start
Get rid of that chip Dezario :) - they do this every year for the girls comp. And considering the season starts this weekend and the draw was released 1 week ago not sure there can be any sort of favours levelled at the admin for giving the girls a leg up.
I would suggest that getting all the bloke skippers in the one spot might be too hard with my experience of organising guys... :) Hard enough getting 4 mates to meet at the same spot on a Saturday night!

Agree. The girls are grateful for the publicity and will turn up at the drop of a hat. If you asked 11 QAFL skippers to be at Kangaroo Point on a Sunday morning for a photo shoot you would get nothing but groans from the clubs and the skippers, and probably get 30% attendance from actual captains and the rest would send whichever player was prepared to be there, or just nobody at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back