QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

That's true but has nothing to do with the club itself but with the comp they are playing in (or can afford to play in). Lets not bang on about how the Southport's etc "finish" players necessarily when players have been there 1 season. Not 100% sure but previous to NEAFL football plenty of guys were drafted from QAFL clubs and often played 2-3 seasons there, occasionally whole junior career. Think its really important to recognise if a club (like Kedron) has 4-5 blokes come through and get drafted despite the fact that it might be through the doors of a higher tier club.

100% agree. Unfortunately it doesn't happen. Even now players are being drafted from "Brisbane Lions Academy" which is not the club they played their entire junior career.

Thats the question originally asked though GC; why can't/don't Southport have any of their own making the jump?
Is it not more likely that the best Gold Coast juniors will come from clubs all over the city? Southport just served as their best chance to get drafted back then. I'm not so sure there will be as much poaching going on when Southport re-enters the QAFL in the future.

By the way, there have been a few Southport juniors to go all the way through like Rory Thompson.

Be
Thats the question originally asked though GC; why can't/don't Southport have any of their own making the jump?
Because surely the charter of their board is about what's best for their club, first & foremost, just like every other club decides for themselves each year.. Eg. Maroochydore didn't come to QAFL for years because that was what they believed waa best for them as a club. Now its a great place on the Sunny Coast having 2 x QAFL clubs. Surely that is the best thing for AFL on the sunny coast?
No aim at AFL with Aspley falling back to QAFL?
I just reckon blaming Southport for the woes of community footy and pathways in SEQ is a misguided target considering they are now the last standing VFL/NEAFL club, which says they must do something right.
If you want a better pathway then that's a worthwhile discussion. I just think its a broader conversation than Southport and I still reckon the Acadenies & the 2 AFL VFL teams have to pull their socks up

Probably did see first hand how they treat local kids with my own lad. And if any QAFL Club treated kids like that they would get smashed by everyone involved.

Not sure Southport have much credibility amongst southern clubs and due to Covid probably didn’t get a chance to play better equipped VFL sides like Geelong, Bulldog’s, Casey etc due to Covid.

Beat Carlton by a point who finished down the table and lost to GWS who were bottom end. Bashed up Aspley, Lions and Suns two or three times each which really covered up cracks in their playing list.

I feel my young bloke wasted a year but you learn from your decisions and move on. Funny how Southport don’t rate him but several SA and other VFL Clubs are pursuing him. And he wasn’t only one either.

So it looks like for him a QLD kid you have to move interstate to play at a higher level. So to me Southport not doing any good for QLD kids coming through. They more interested in AFL delisted players that have had their opportunity. That’s their decision as a club which is fine, but why AFLQ support them is wrong in my opinion.
Lets see how good Colenso goes in SA or WA then shall we sounds like he's going to kill over there and offers coming from everywhere , one disgruntled Dad..

Be

Because surely the charter of their board is about what's best for their club, first & foremost, just like every other club decides for themselves each year.. Eg. Maroochydore didn't come to QAFL for years because that was what they believed waa best for them as a club. Now its a great place on the Sunny Coast having 2 x QAFL clubs. Surely that is the best thing for AFL on the sunny coast?
No aim at AFL with Aspley falling back to QAFL?
I just reckon blaming Southport for the woes of community footy and pathways in SEQ is a misguided target considering they are now the last standing VFL/NEAFL club, which says they must do something right.
If you want a better pathway then that's a worthwhile discussion. I just think its a broader conversation than Southport and I still reckon the Acadenies & the 2 AFL VFL teams have to pull their socks up

Yeah see I dont necessarily agree with that - when you are one of the biggest clubs in the country let alone the biggest in the state, I think your charter (if indeed it is what you say it is) should be a bit more all encompassing. I have always felt that Maroochydore, being the biggest club on the coast, has an obligation to the survival and development of smaller clubs on the coast. Whether others at the club feel that or act that I'm not sure sometimes... ;) Considering the massive disparity in finances bn Maroochy and Southport I'm not sure you are comparing apples to apples though. Roos wouldn't even be the most financial club on the coast (by a long way) let alone in the SE corner.

Don't worry about Aspley - I think that footy club ebbs and flows on a whim - but they run a junior program and colts with a few blokes having come through this to the to level.

But its a good discussion all the same.

Yeah see I dont necessarily agree with that - when you are one of the biggest clubs in the country let alone the biggest in the state, I think your charter (if indeed it is what you say it is) should be a bit more all encompassing. I have always felt that Maroochydore, being the biggest club on the coast, has an obligation to the survival and development of smaller clubs on the coast. Whether others at the club feel that or act that I'm not sure sometimes... ;) Considering the massive disparity in finances bn Maroochy and Southport I'm not sure you are comparing apples to apples though. Roos wouldn't even be the most financial club on the coast (by a long way) let alone in the SE corner.

Don't worry about Aspley - I think that footy club ebbs and flows on a whim - but they run a junior program and colts with a few blokes having come through this to the to level.

But its a good discussion all the same.
I don't disagree with any of that. And with Maroochydore making the GF and looking at the plethora of signings at Noosa for 2022 I reckon the local derbies will go up a notch up there next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance at Lions VFL?
Unlikely.

We’re most likely looking for a tall defender or two for our VFL side.

We’re covered for rucks and KPF’s. Inside mid may be another need.

Really depends on how many 19 year olds we’re bringing back in the academy. Doesn’t look like many at this stage.

Unlikely.

Really depends on how many 19 year olds we’re bringing back in the academy. Doesn’t look like many at this stage.
Yeah you would think delisting Ballenden to insert Hammelman wouldn't make a lot of sense. At least it appears this group will get to play a bit more real footy in 2022 with all the states opening back up and extremely unlikely they will shut down ever again.

Yeah you would think delisting Ballenden to insert Hammelman wouldn't make a lot of sense. At least it appears this group will get to play a bit more real footy in 2022 with all the states opening back up and extremely unlikely they will shut down ever again.

Not sure if true but on Ballenden etc - "The Lions are interested in offering the trio VFL playing contracts if they aren’t picked up by another AFL club"

Ballenden is best mates with a number of shark boys, probably end up there. Also heard Richmond Premiership player Jacob Townsend is having a kick at Broadbeach? Is this true? What a massive get if it is.

Ballenden is best mates with a number of shark boys, probably end up there. Also heard Richmond Premiership player Jacob Townsend is having a kick at Broadbeach? Is this true? What a massive get if it is.
Has a year to go doesn't get he?

Unlikely.

Lions VFL moving away from Academy kids, as the listed players don't want to play with them anymore because it impacts their footy.

Word on the street is they are focused on mature aged QAFL/VFL blokes in Brisbane, or not neccessairly 22 year olds, but at least plenty of senior footy under their belt. Names flying around are Rolls, Triffet, Reville, Briskey, Ballenden, C.Lyons, Baulch, Greene, W.Fletcher, Crozier, Franks and the like.

looking at those names, Morningside and Sherwood would have their lists decimated!

Lions VFL moving away from Academy kids, as the listed players don't want to play with them anymore because it impacts their footy.

Word on the street is they are focused on mature aged QAFL/VFL blokes in Brisbane, or not neccessairly 22 year olds, but at least plenty of senior footy under their belt. Names flying around are Rolls, Triffet, Reville, Briskey, Ballenden, C.Lyons, Baulch, Greene, W.Fletcher, Crozier, Franks and the like.

looking at those names, Morningside and Sherwood would have their lists decimated!

Well that's where they should be coming from, guys like that. Few other names could be thrown in too.

From Miller's list, I understand that Corey Lyons is going to Glenelg, Jack Rolls is staying at Aspley and there's no guarantee that Saxon Crozier will be playing footy anywhere next year with Uni studies taking precedence.

Out of interest, do we have any idea what he Lions would be paying these "senior" top ups as against their earnings at QAFL level?

From Miller's list, I understand that Corey Lyons is going to Glenelg, Jack Rolls is staying at Aspley and there's no guarantee that Saxon Crozier will be playing footy anywhere next year with Uni studies taking precedence.

Out of interest, do we have any idea what he Lions would be paying these "senior" top ups as against their earnings at QAFL level?
We have a $100k salary cap for the vfl top ups.

We (the Suns) have publicly committed to rookie drafting Casboult now so he won't be joining any QAFL team next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back