QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A 'couple' of add ons.

Buzza, Fletcher, Greene, Colenso and Hille are pretty signficant upgrades on running around with academy kids.

Then you have Reville, Triffit, Abberley who are all 19+ and ready to go, rather than 16 and not up to it.

Redland must have thrown some coin at Franks, as he had been approached apparently as well.

Arnold also 22 year old and very handy

A 'couple' of add ons.

Buzza, Fletcher, Greene, Colenso and Hille are pretty signficant upgrades on running around with academy kids.

Then you have Reville, Triffit, Abberley who are all 19+ and ready to go, rather than 16 and not up to it.

Redland must have thrown some coin at Franks, as he had been approached apparently as well.
I didn’t mean to trivialise the experienced top ups.

I did mean that a lot of our top ups are the same kids we had playing last year, just another year older.

Don’t believe we played any 16 year olds last year.

The Jonthan Patton rumour mill ;;;
i just spoke to oyr club President whom said yes they have had talks with thimsplayer as has a number of other clubs.
Nothing is decided with not just Bfroady or anyother club ...the guy is delling real estate on the Goldy and battling mental health issues ..
He may well not want to play footy .. enough said

i just spoke to oyr club President whom said yes they have had talks with thimsplayer as has a number of other clubs.
Nothing is decided with not just Bfroady or anyother club ...the guy is delling real estate on the Goldy and battling mental health issues ..
I’m sure we will all stop talking about this 🤣

I didn’t mean to trivialise the experienced top ups.

I did mean that a lot of our top ups are the same kids we had playing last year, just another year older.

Don’t believe we played any 16 year olds last year.
Where should 16 year old Academy players play, for their best opportunity? Serious question

Where should 16 year old Academy players play, for their best opportunity? Serious question
I’ve said before that I would prefer a European model academy set up.

if you’re in the academy that’s your club and team, and ideally there should be a competition involving the other northern clubs and NAB League teams.

No playing and training for two clubs in different competitions.

I’d say cut out the academies in Queensland.Clearly not working.Trust the community clubs abs their coaches and get those that are up to it playing against men as soon as possible.Bring back the area talent scouts to identify those that show a capability that could make the grade,test them at vfl level with lions,Suns or Southport and go from there.Less costly and less time wasting for parents and far less dick pulling that is associated with academies.Footy is a grass roots game,not just for the elite so let’s keep it that way!

I’d say cut out the academies in Queensland.Clearly not working.Trust the community clubs abs their coaches and get those that are up to it playing against men as soon as possible.Bring back the area talent scouts to identify those that show a capability that could make the grade,test them at vfl level with lions,Suns or Southport and go from there.Less costly and less time wasting for parents and far less dick pulling that is associated with academies.Footy is a grass roots game,not just for the elite so let’s keep it that way!
I’d be happy with that if we went to QLD zone access to kids, but the other AFL clubs would kick up a fuss.

Here’s a thought (this might be a crap idea)…..there is an odd number of teams in QAFL. Why not have the kids play for a ‘combined’ Lions / Suns academy team in all 3 grades. Or - 1 week the Suns academy plays in all 3 grades and the next the Lions play. In Colts you could play the best 16 year olds. It would reduce a bye in the draw and if one of the academy teams makes the finals then isn’t that proving it is working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

u16s for their clubs, Colts for their clubs and if good enough - Seniors for their club.

They should also play State footy if good enough to be selected in a genuine state side.

Here’s a thought (this might be a crap idea)…..there is an odd number of teams in QAFL. Why not have the kids play for a ‘combined’ Lions / Suns academy team in all 3 grades. Or - 1 week the Suns academy plays in all 3 grades and the next the Lions play. In Colts you could play the best 16 year olds. It would reduce a bye in the draw and if one of the academy teams makes the finals then isn’t that proving it is working.

They would get absolutely slaughtered in senior footy, which is entirely the point.

not to mention there’s 12 teams now in the qafl.

and mature men would smash them

so still me on the money Stuyd 😁 think the $1200 would be correct too. Sometimes u just have to trust 😉

Smy ,, well I dont have the info and is the info Still me has is correct ,,, time will tell shortly hey
I think he would 100% be on the money considering he knows the ppl involved in a counter offer.
not unlike eagle at grange where ppl involved in the counter offer that loses the player quite happy to state what’s on offer.

I think he would 100% be on the money considering he knows the ppl involved in a counter offer.
not unlike eagle at grange where ppl involved in the counter offer that loses the player quite happy to state what’s on offer.

an offer from another club that missed out o isn’t always an indication that player x accepted a higher offer.

Players are always sacrificing match payments for other factors such as playing with mates, opportunity to win premiership, work/career opportunities, convenience of location, facilities and club atmosphere etc.

particularly in qld local footy when it’s not huge money being thrown around.

it’s of course more comfortable to say “that other club must be paying more than us”when a player goes to a rival rather than looking inward

morningside for example for decades have attracted gun footballers on the smell of an oily rag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back