QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Patton ,, as I said , Broady have been in discussions with him but where in no position to pay a guy like the qouted $1200 a game and cop 6 points a game to a guy with numerous regardless of being a ex AFL senior player ,,,like he has played 6 AFL games only in the past 3 years.. As Club President said to me,, Brraody willk give him a go but on their terms only ,,

No exodus this year, the only valuable player Grange has lost is Mitch Crawley who decided to go back to Aspley where he played all of his junior footy.

Given the points cap we will still be selecting plenty of ex-Grange juniors each week whatever happens, as if we’re playing 8-10 new guys in any given week the one pointers (now with plenty of QAFL games behind them) will be invaluable.
Wondering if you saw the article in the GC Bulletin saying that patton will not be playing at the Cats
Wondering if you saw the article in the GC Bulletin saying that patton will not be playing at the Cats

Yep did see it Premier. Let’s see where he ends up. From what I am hearing it’s more the players don’t want him at Cats. Think Coach still keen to get him in for 6 games apparently. But see how it plays out.

Matty Payne has officially signed at Grange? Judge can you confirm?

Yep did see it Premier. Let’s see where he ends up. From what I am hearing it’s more the players don’t want him at Cats. Think Coach still keen to get him in for 6 games apparently. But see how it plays out.

Matty Payne has officially signed at Grange? Judge can you confirm?
I think the Jude might have comment come Monday, We’ll done to everyone at the club with all the players they have got in for the 2022 season.

Labrador has signed Lachie Henderson as well.

So Palmy have Liam Jones. Labrador have Lachie Henderson. Broadbeach may have Jonathan Patton. Does Surfers have anything brewing?

Not really sure how the Brisbane teams are going to keep up with the GC teams. They were already behind in terms of list quality and the GC teams have just gotten a lot better by signing recently retired high profile AFL players. The AFL hub life in 2020 is pay dividends for local GC footy now.

Andrew Boston to Labrador is a pretty big signing as well.

So Palmy have Liam Jones. Labrador have Lachie Henderson. Broadbeach may have Jonathan Patton. Does Surfers have anything brewing?

Not really sure how the Brisbane teams are going to keep up with the GC teams. They were already behind in terms of list quality and the GC teams have just gotten a lot better by signing recently retired high profile AFL players. The AFL hub life in 2020 is pay dividends for local GC footy now.

Plus the GC clubs also have their Southport alligned players. Brisbane clubs obviously now don’t have any.

Question; Is Recruiting ex afl player such a good thing for a cllub ?
Will it get a club to a flag ? Does it create any issues for the Clubs salary and points system ?
As most of these players only play a season or 2 , is the excerise for the good of the club ?
Answers please fellow posters .

Broadbeach signed Brad Lynch also ex Western Bulldogs.

Question; Is Recruiting ex afl player such a good thing for a cllub ?
Will it get a club to a flag ? Does it create any issues for the Clubs salary and points system ?
As most of these players only play a season or 2 , is the excerise for the good of the club ?
Answers please fellow posters .
Well the 2 Grand finalists from 2021 didn't have any from memory. I think its better to say that it is definitely a good thing IF the right guy is recruited. 100% they will assist getting a club a flag and yes it would be unreal if the guy committed for a 5 year period but if a club knows the score and happy to recruit accordingly (think a minimum of 2 years would be fair) then it is a good move. As long as it all sits in the realms of their budget and the guy is happy to fit into the club rather than the other way round. If you recruit the wrong guy it can be disastrous.

I think the Jude might have comment come Monday, We’ll done to everyone at the club with all the players they have got in for the 2022 season.

Surely the Gorillas coffers must be getting low now without Payne. Might be an all or bust season.

Payne probably the one they don't need, unless they actually think they can win a flag.

10 blokes recruited who will be automatic selections, few might start picking around those 18-21 year olds with 20 games experience who will now be relegated to the 2s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Payne probably the one they don't need, unless they actually think they can win a flag.

10 blokes recruited who will be automatic selections, few might start picking around those 18-21 year olds with 20 games experience who will now be relegated to the 2s
That’s footy. You’ve got to earn your spot against teammates who have currency.

Great problem to have at a footy club.

At full strength, if that ever happens, I think Grange will have 9-10 new players in their top 22, but just about everyone else will be in that 18-21 age bracket so there will still be plenty of opportunities for younger guys with form on the board.

We've lost 3 regulars from last year, Crawley to Aspley and Nixon-Smith and McCubbin to retirement, so that opens up some spots in the senior side.

However, this is exactly what our young guys have been asking and hoping for - the chance to play in a team with enough size and experience to be physically competitive and genuinely capable of contending for a finals spot. They all want to be part of that, so I'd be very surprised if we lost anyone who is training right now.

The one type of player which we needed and didn't have was an experienced mid, so when Payne expressed interest after seeing our other signings we were happy and able to accommodate him.

We think we've recruited well, but no-one's played a game yet so let's see how it all translates on the field.

Payne is a gun and a great pick up by Grange if it’s all done. Can genuinely press for finals now

Redland Aspley Grange have been active over summer I wonder what mT Gravatt Morningside and Sherwood been up to . Gotta get busy or get left behind

That’s footy. You’ve got to earn your spot against teammates who have currency.

Great problem to have at a footy club.

Totally agree. They have done what is needed, and if a kid who previously didn't have to earn a game gets shitty now that he has to, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Grange have been bottom 2 for like 8 out of 9 seasons or something, so to now be talking about potential finals is great.

lets see it translate on the field.

Payne is a gun and a great pick up by Grange if it’s all done. Can genuinely press for finals now

Redland Aspley Grange have been active over summer I wonder what mT Gravatt Morningside and Sherwood been up to . Gotta get busy or get left behind

3 clubs with massive coin are active, hardly surprising.

I'm sure Mt Gravatt and Sherwood were relatively happy with their lists from 2021, just internal development to come and maybe a handful of mid range pickups. Morningside I imagine will be hurting big time, but mostly of their own doing.

Sherwood might be up and down depending how often Fletcher, Reville, Greene & Baulch play VFL for the lions, plus a few of their younger guys tied up in academy who probably play seniors there.

Baulch not lions listed, just Sherwood so won't be going back and forth.

We have Fletcher x 2 , Reville and Greene with Lions, which is great and i hope they are selected at VFL level every week, but will be welcomed back when available.

We have filled some holes in our list with young talent and guys with really good form in Div 1 and Div 2 footy who are stepping up and dont look out of place at this level at all have been good pickups.

Certainly not on a big recruitment spree, backing our guys in who are developing nicely under a very good coach. We won 7 of our last 9 in 2021 before lockdown, including beating all of the Top 3 including the Premiers, so we were on the right track.

Jackson Allen going to Aspley is very significant and hes irreplacable, no point in denying it. Made his Senior debut with us over a decade ago and his brother still plays with us, but that's the reality of competing with a big club backed by gaming machines with full time footy staff.

No other major outs, other than of course the Lions lads and plenty of good pickups without the big names attached. Some i think will really surprise at this level after being strong players in Div1/2

We have Fletcher x 2 , Reville and Greene with Lions, which is great and i hope they are selected at VFL level every week, but will be welcomed back when available.

We have filled some holes in our list with young talent and guys with really good form in Div 1 and Div 2 footy who are stepping up and dont look out of place at this level at all have been good pickups.

Certainly not on a big recruitment spree, backing our guys in who are developing nicely under a very good coach. We won 7 of our last 9 in 2021 before lockdown, including beating all of the Top 3 including the Premiers, so we were on the right track.

Jackson Allen going to Aspley is very significant and hes irreplacable, no point in denying it. Made his Senior debut with us over a decade ago and his brother still plays with us, but that's the reality of competing with a big club backed by gaming machines with full time footy staff.

No other major outs, other than of course the Lions lads and plenty of good pickups without the big names attached. Some i think will really surprise at this level after being strong players in Div1/2

Thommo..
good info in your post here .,,, All the best tom you guts for 2022

Who hve you got from the lower levels?

Are Harwood and Beams still with you guys? Can’t even remember if they were last year…

Harwood played at Wynnum last year, don't think Beams played anywhere. Some might argue he never played for the Magpies either...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back