QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hearing that WA is still stumbling block with trying to have a full AFL Ressies competition.

Apparently the SANFL have agreed to let Crows and Port go but there might be a deal that sees all stand alone VFL Clubs join up with SANFL and Tassie to make a new competition.

Not sure if Southport included or not or whether they want to be part of it.

AFL to fund new competition as a sweetener as only travel is Melbourne to SA or Tassie.

Eagles apparently still keen on the AFL reserves concept but are using this as leverage to try and wrangle for the removal of some restrictions and gain some more concessions from the WAFL. The expectation is that they go.

The Dockers aren't so keen, but if Port, the Crows and WCE all go east then they will be obliged to join them so that they don't fall behind the others.

The AFL funds the travel and accommodation for the VFL so those funds will be diverted from the VFL to a 19-team AFL reserves (when Tassie joins) and there will be only a slight difference in running costs for the AFL once the standalone VFL clubs are replaced by the five AFL clubs not currently involved.

Last edited:
Round 6 Results

The Matter that’s Stuff

Here are some more QAFL Scorigami references for Round 6, plus other potentially useless scraps of trivia:

Wilston Grange 21-17-143 d Broadbeach 11-9-75
This score has occurred once previously:
2010 R16: Aspley 22-11-143 d NT Thunder 10-15-75
The margin of 68 points has now occurred 53 times.

Palm Beach Currumbin 13-10-88 d Redland Victoria Point 9-19-73
This score has occurred once previously:
2014 R15: University of Qld 13-10-88 d Western Magpies 10-13-73 at St Lucia
The margin of 15 points has now occurred 120 times.

Aspley 12-11-83 d Labrador 5-10-40
This score has never occurred before.
However, the margin of 43 points has now occurred 64 times.

Surfers Paradise 10-11-71 d Maroochydore 10-5-65
This score has occurred three times previously:
1961 R13: Western Districts 9-17-71 d Kedron 8-17-65
1969 R15: Coorparoo 10-11-71 d Sandgate 8-17-65
2021 EF2: Morningside 10-11-71 d Surfers Paradise 9-11-65
The margin of 6 points has now occurred 105 times.

Morningside 21-16-142 d Mt Gravatt 7-2-44
This score has never occurred before.
The margin of 98 points has now occurred 27 times.

Sherwood 17-7-109 d Noosa 11-6-72
This score has occurred three times previously:
1995 R15: North Brisbane 15-19-109 d West Brisbane 10-12-72
1999 R1: Labrador 15-19-109 d Mayne 10-12-72
2006 R15: Southport 16-13-109 d Labrador 11-6-72
The margin of 37 points has now occurred 86 times.
Also, I want to take a moment to comment on the result of the Reserves game for this contest. The final score was: Sherwood 6-21-57 d Noosa 9-2-56
Sherwood managed to kick three less goals than their opposition, and still won the game by 1 point.
This has NEVER occurred at Senior level within the “QAFL”. As far as I can tell, a team has kicked two less goals than their opponent and still won the game only ten times. The most recent was in Round 19 2014 (NEAFL) when Redland 11-20-86 d Sydney University 13-6-84. The first occurrence was Round 2 1912 when Valley 5-21-51 d South Brisbane 7-7-49.

Last edited:

Also, I want to take a moment to comment on the result of the Reserves game for this contest. The final score was: Sherwood 6-21-57 d Noosa 9-2-56
Sherwood managed to kick three less goals than their opposition, and still won the game by 1 point.
This has NEVER occurred at Senior level within the “QAFL”. As far as I can tell, a team has kicked two less goals than their opponent and still won the game only ten times. The most recent was in Round 19 2014 (NEAFL) when Redland 11-20-86 d Sydney University 13-6-84. The first occurrence was Round 2 1912 when Valley 5-21-51 d South Brisbane 7-7-49.

That is gold!

sorry, just figured with the ground in such bad shape and the sports club getting limited income due to the roadworks - that moving wouldn't cost too much revenue.

I was there in person, and the pitch was essentially unplayable - had to slow your speed to go through it and it looked genuinely dangerous
Must have had some serious rain(which I know hasn’t stopped for 6 months) but I was there 3 or 4 weeks ago and the ground was in awesome shape!
Palmy going along beautifully!

Welcome to fifo impacting your club 🙄
The Hickey walk to Palmy over a couple of thousand comment may well be corrected by the following ..... he was commanding a couple of thousand a game and Broady were not in the hunt paying that sort of coin
Broadbeach were done before the season started. Between Malceski dumping them late for the Suns role and a staggering lack of recruitment to fill retirements & blokes pissing off on FIFO gigs.

Word around the club is they let Hickey walk to Palmy over a coupe of thousand.

The current injury list doesn’t help, but alarm bells were ringing long before this season started.

The Hickey walk to Palmy over a couple of thousand comment may well be corrected by the following ..... he was commanding a couple of thousand a game and Broady were not in the hunt paying that sort of coin

So you are saying Palmy is paying Hickey around 40K for the season? Really?

So you are saying Palmy is paying Hickey around 40K for the season? Really?
No way I said that ,, I heard early in the chase for his services his figure was commanding 2k a game which Im sure hes not getting that amount ,,, I heard Broady dropped out straight away not wishing to compete for his services. What happened from there with Palmy getting him is not a known thing match payment wise .

Apparently not a lot of players wanting to play in state game for some reason.

Why would that be?

Most would rather have the week off. It’s a massive commitment to play a full season. People have lives. It is a shame though that it doesn’t hold the same significance as it used to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently not a lot of players wanting to play in state game for some reason.

Why would that be?

If they really want to promote QLD talent they would play it during a more visible event. Would also hold more interest for players if it was played as a curtain raiser to the suns or Lions at the Gabba or Metricon. (Especially to a Qclash)

If they really want to promote QLD talent they would play it during a more visible event. Would also hold more interest for players if it was played as a curtain raiser to the suns or Lions at the Gabba or Metricon. (Especially to a Qclash)

That would be a cracking idea - maybe even put it as a curtain raiser to one of the GC games where most matches are not sold out allowing for tickets to family / friends / interested QAFL followers to easily attend. Would be two fold then by increasing the numbers for a Suns game

I notice the Northern Football League (formally the Diamond League) in Melbourne have all the finals (EF,QF,PF and GF) always at Preston City Oval where the Preston Bullants play in the VFL. Not sure what the reason behind that is other than a deal/agreement between Preston City Oval and NFL and that it’s neutral ground.

Would be interesting to know if AFLQ put that out as an idea, how many clubs would agree to that. As, if you have a few of your teams up the top in finals, that’s at least 2 games of extra revenue for your club.

3 potential upsets this week.

Aspley v Redlands. Old foes, Redland having slipped. Can they spring an upset at home against a complacent Aspley?

Surfers v PBC. Surfers recruited well and have played well mostly. Are PBC overachieving? Surfers at home will be motivated to upset Palmy..

Broady v Morningside. Siders chugging along. Broady playing well below their potential. One good game by BB could ambush Panthers expecting an easy win..

I notice the Northern Football League (formally the Diamond League) in Melbourne have all the finals (EF,QF,PF and GF) always at Preston City Oval where the Preston Bullants play in the VFL. Not sure what the reason behind that is other than a deal/agreement between Preston City Oval and NFL and that it’s neutral ground.

Would be interesting to know if AFLQ put that out as an idea, how many clubs would agree to that. As, if you have a few of your teams up the top in finals, that’s at least 2 games of extra revenue for your club.
If you ask anyone that follows that league. They will tell you it’s a terrible version, I’ve been to a few finals there and I’d agree. Southern league play all their finals at the saints training base and it’s a pretty good setup

If you ask anyone that follows that league. They will tell you it’s a terrible version, I’ve been to a few finals there and I’d agree. Southern league play all their finals at the saints training base and it’s a pretty good setup
What do you mean by terrible? As in location or that all finals are played there? What’s another north side field that has a grandstand that is quality enough for finals? Southern League would be interesting to watch in finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back