Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now for the real s**t.

Its at their home ground whch is not really unexpected - but what does surprise me is the timeslot.

We as GFC supporters have every chance to get there now. Plenty of time, no weeknight stuff to contend with so IMO at least it gives us supporters the best chance to attend...and you know the filth will be there in droves...

Injury concerns with Guth, Jezza and Mitch. Kolo is outside the concussion protocol window so all things being equal should be available.

We play good footy at the G. We will be mostly well rested and have probably 28 to choose from that have played good footy this year.

IMO no need to push Jezza if hes not ready.

Play our game our way and stick to what we know. They will come and come hard but at some point the close finishes have to start going against the Pies.
And they will... stating now.

And it needs to be said.. credit this club, the staff, coaches and players.

Nary the most ardent Cats fan had us here in 2022. Yet, here we are will be hated for it. We will cop due whacks to for past successes that failed to yield the ultimate prize. And its fair to say that this effort might not either. But, that said, this 2022 iteration is different.
Just as we have to accept the crap for missing out as we have, we also have to acknowledge the parts, reliance and mechanisms are different this time. Very different.
We will get adulation too as....

We are Geelong, the Greatest team of all...

Now lets enjoy the ride and prove it.

Go Catters

We have such terrific depth this year, I hope we rest anyone who isn't quite right as I'd back us in, irrespective. Our strength this year hasn't been through individual contributions, it's been a team effort.

I understand the demons from 2017 have some frustrated about playing our home final at the MCG. Personally, I'm pumped to have the opportunity to put that to bed first up against a big club.

Can't wait. Go Cats!

Now the real stuff starts - lets see what the team has learnt.. It's not as if we haven't had enough finals to figure out why we keep shitting ourselves when things get tough under the bright lights. We have proven to be the best team in H&A so absolutely no reason not to continue that in finals. Last year Melbourne were clearly the best side all year and finals continued that way.

Thank heck its not on Friday night.

Have to snuff the Pies out early which I am confident we will do.

That wasn't an amazing game other than the final quarter yesterday and the Blues shot themselves in the foot. If we were in that position there is no way they come back.
This is the test to see how actually good we are. I think we are very good and a bit above the rest but now is the time to show it.

Surprised at the time slot but won't complain. Better for Cat fans who want to go and another day for JC, Guth, Rhys, etc who have niggles won't hurt. This is definitely the first time I have ever been happy there is a week off before finals.

Last edited:
Time to put the Pies back in their box. Common sense prevails on timeslot but fmd what's their obsession with twilight and night games ... Just make it an arvo game and be done with.

Not only am I happy about the time slot from a "get our arses to the game" point of view but it's another day to ensure Jezza and Stanley are cherry ripe.
I see a "typical" pies game coming up where we are up by a decent amount going in to the last change, where they would expect to be able to roll over us for the win. Except they aren't playing trash who choke. They are playing the best team in the comp and the Cats WILL put their foot down and power away.
Cats by plenty.

Collingwood are our 'traditional' finals foes. This is our 26th meetup with them at the pointy end of the season - twice as many as the next team. Geelong and Collingwood have played more finals against each other than any other two teams. This is a match that is just meant to be. And we have the edge in results - 13-12. Lets make this 14-12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're probably going into the finals this year the healthiest we have for a while. True, there are some players with minor niggles, but all sides do at this time of year. In years past we were missing the likes of Tom Stewart in September while Selwood and Danger were bashed up and running on fumes. This year that duo have been rested and their support cast have stepped up and performed amazingly well over the last 3 months.

In a similar vein, we have evenness all over the field now. Whereas in the past we needed half a dozen players to play out of their skin for us to have a chance, we can now cover their poorer games better. The inclusion of Stengle and the improvement in players like De Koning, Z.Guthrie, Atkins, Miers and Close have made it seem we no longer have a weakness. On top of this, we have another 3 or 4 players on the fringes who we now know can come in and be relied upon to play their role. We probably haven't had that since 2011.

Our form heading into September has been nothing short of sensational. In past years we've limped into September on the back of indifferent form and started slowly in the first week of finals, and often been out of games at quarter time. There's nothing to suggest we will succumb to the sins of the past this time around.

Really, we have no excuses this year. If we play to our level, no-one can get near us.

What’s the chances I’ll be able to grab general public tickets? And what end will Cats fans be sitting? We’re coming over from SA and I’m worried about getting us tickets.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stanley for cegs
Cameron for sav
Duncan for zuthrie
Atkins for moc

If menegola is fit unsure who the last out will be...might be rohan unless kolo is injured.

Win and win well.

The only way we don't win this will be poor set shot kicking for goal.
That’s what I’ve been worried about.

Need to put them away early on the scoreboard and not leave the door ajar.
Because if it gets close at the death, they will find away like they have all year.

I wonder if the AFL asked the club what day/time they prefer? Saturday - Kolo will be well and truly out of concussion protocol. Gives Cameron an extra day or two (if he really is injured).

Hope the players are smart enough to sacrifice their social lives for the next several weeks to have the best chance of avoiding COVID.

It's going to be a long two weeks waiting for this to come around. I can't believe the H&A season is over, the year has gone by so quickly. I have no qualms about the time or the venue. You have to win the premiership at the MCG, so the more we play there the better, IMHO. Besides, when the Catters have played at the G this year they've shown it holds no worries to them. I'm quietly confident about the game. The Cat's defense is not going to make the same mistakes we've seen other teams make against Collingwood. Our forward line is like way better.

Ins: Jezza, Duncan, Stanley,
Outs: Sav, Ceglar, ???? Probably O'Connor

Last edited:
Best outcome for us. Playing the worst team in the 8.

I was worried about running into Freo if they got their legs back from a bye week on the G, would have scared me...and didnt want Sydney first up.

Think we will keep collingwood to a low score and win by about 7 goals. 90 to 50 type score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back