Autopsy R16 Freo V Carlton: Classic Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

So who comes in to provide the class we are missing so that we are a threat next year? Ultimately we need games into Young, Chapman, Sturt. How we fit Hamling/Cox will be an enigma unless Logue becomes a midfielder. And Frederick for Colyer is a no brainer. O'Dricoll had 26 and 10 marks in a losing Peel team so fingers crossed there.

Whoa. Logue as an inside midfielder. Huge.

I like your whole post. Some good level headed analysis.

As to your question, yes we have some talent that will return from injury next year, but we need to get games into them. Experience can't be learnt from the sidelines. We may have to bring an experienced young player or two in via trades. We still need to hit the draft, but I guess we won't know our full options until Cerra makes his decision.

Several times I noticed the ball being kicked high to Schulz. why on earth would a "thinking" player do that? Probably because they're not thinking.

Also whem walters shouts, waves his arms, demands the ball is kicked to him when he's got a giant on him...ball gets kicked to him and he just becomes a statue. At least Shultz throws himself in there.

We need tall forwards and smart crumbers or wearent going anywhere.
Several times I noticed that when the ball was coming in high to the Carlton forward line Betts was positioning himself by the boundary line looking to pick up the hit to the line. I have NEVER noticed our smalls doing anything as smart as that.

I hate to say it but Banfield probably needs to come in for one of Schultz/Switta/Walters/Colyer/Henry. At least as long as Tabs is out. We simply need a stronger taller body up forward alongside Lobb and Treacy.
If not that then play Fyfe up there and bring in a midfielder.

OK, I'll say this once then drop it as I don't want to drill the thread.

It is NOT appropriate to call a female (umpire or anyone) a moll or a prostitute. Criticise her performance, sure.
Footy is an emotional game and I liked the post where she was labelled a mole. I didnt like it because of the mole comment, but because I'm sick of her poor umpiring. I'll also admit to calling her far worse within my own home - but that also applies to Williamson and Margetts. Taking your point however, I will say this - from her first ever game where she umpired west coast vs Essendon, it was clear she was a token appointment. Unfortunately she is the most protected of species being a female umpire and therefore will not likely improve as she will not be provided with hard facts. The hard facts being that she can't bounce the footy and her decision making is so very poor that her level at best is country league footy. This is the type of stuff that further frustrates footy fans. Bottom line is she has no place umpiring in the AFL. For those who claim this post is sexist, so be it....quite frankly I don't care if you are female, male or a primate - if you are good enough to make the grade, you deserve to be there and she is nowhere near good enough. Apologies for the long rant, but this has been coming for a long time (as I said, I have seen her umpire from her first match!).

i just watched it again.

the ball had only just been kicked and De Koning runs straight at Pearce and takes him out. How the fu** did that stupid moll miss that?
This is another issue of our mediocrity. Why didn't Pearce and others get around the umpire screaming about the wrong call? Umpires are human, they'll crack under pressure. The WC fans boo consistently and it works. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.
Our club needs to get harder and tougher in every way.

As soon as we knew we only needed to win to be outright in the 8, that is when I knew we lost that game. No internal fortitude from this team, they have been that long outside of the 8 that the desire to get there isn’t there now and not sure if/when it will be. They will just continue to collect their pays and not do anything about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy is an emotional game and I liked the post where she was labelled a mole. I didnt like it because of the mole comment, but because I'm sick of her poor umpiring. I'll also admit to calling her far worse within my own home - but that also applies to Williamson and Margetts. Taking your point however, I will say this - from her first ever game where she umpired west coast vs Essendon, it was clear she was a token appointment. Unfortunately she is the most protected of species being a female umpire and therefore will not likely improve as she will not be provided with hard facts. The hard facts being that she can't bounce the footy and her decision making is so very poor that her level at best is country league footy. This is the type of stuff that further frustrates footy fans. Bottom line is she has no place umpiring in the AFL. For those who claim this post is sexist, so be it....quite frankly I don't care if you are female, male or a primate - if you are good enough to make the grade, you deserve to be there and she is nowhere near good enough. Apologies for the long rant, but this has been coming for a long time (as I said, I have seen her umpire from her first match!).
Sexism is where you give somebody a free pass because of their sex.

She isn’t a good umpire and should be called out for it.

This is another issue of our mediocrity. Why didn't Pearce and others get around the umpire screaming about the wrong call? Umpires are human, they'll crack under pressure. The WC fans boo consistently and it works. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.
Our club needs to get harder and tougher in every way.
Alternatively, instead of teams worrying about head high contact, they feel free to smack Walters around the head and get away with it because he's got that rep now. When people are screaming at you for not doing your job properly, you're as likely to get your back up as buckle.
It can go both ways. You won't get much from umpires who don't like you, or your team.

Alternatively, instead of teams worrying about head high contact, they feel free to smack Walters around the head and get away with it because he's got that rep now. When people are screaming at you for not doing your job properly, you're as likely to get your back up as buckle.
It can go both ways. You won't get much from umpires who don't like you, or your team.
Their is a basketball coaching term working the umpires. The coach keeps complaining until the umpiring turns. Sometimes coaches will do something to do a technical foul just to send a message to the umpires.

I really don’t understand why Fyfe doesn’t keep saying he is holding me and say it over and over again until they call it.

Not sure why our players didn’t scream at the umpires for the slang tackles on Fyfe.

If other teams use illegal tactics, make sure you warn them in the ear shot of the umpires. Example Serong tells Curnow if he keeps holding Fyfe off the ball he is going to hit him hard.

The warning won’t mean anything to the other team but umpires don’t like when things get out of hand.

Are we still calling girls molls, I kinda hoped we'd moved past that.

Fair point.

Critiquing her umpiring then, she’s so incompetent she should never umpire again. She makes these “decisions“ so regularly in games I watch that I struggle to see how she ever got to the level she is...

if I was a cynic, I might suggest she was there for other reasons than competency.

now, having said that, I have similar thoughts on other umpires, Williamson being one.

This is it.
Champions do what needs be done, when it needs to be done.
Our club has never done that.
Champions stand up under pressure, we wilt.
We are a disgraceful sporting organisation and we as supporters need to understand that our club is comfortable in the company of the St Kildas/Melbournes etc of a fleeting glance up the table before a prolonged and agonising period of mediocrity.
I'm maybe not all in with agreement on this, but unfortunately there are elements of truth here. Over years we seem to frequently, almost routinely, fail to rise to the occasion when there are really season defining moments. On and off the field. It's the definition of non-elite mediocrity, our brand.

Ugh kills me. Especially when you re-think of where some of the misses came from.
Shultz x 2 Henry x 2 Walters all straight in front
if we don’t drop Walters for continued s**t performances then we need to get rid of Hale and get a proper forward coach who understands the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back