R4 v West Coast Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

So happy Rory T is back in form.His long arms mean he can spoil without wrestling.The umpires get the right to choose which wrestler they're going to ping- and last night it was always the one in the red and gold jumper.Maysie has been down on form.KK isn't a defender .I think Harbs earns his spot as does Joyce but we don't work it out of defence with confidence and lack line breaking speed other than Harbs.Weller potentially, but is he really a defender?

So happy Rory T is back in form.His long arms mean he can spoil without wrestling.The umpires get the right to choose which wrestler they're going to ping- and last night it was always the one in the red and gold jumper.Maysie has been down on form.KK isn't a defender .I think Harbs earns his spot as does Joyce but we don't work it out of defence with confidence and lack line breaking speed other than Harbs.Weller potentially, but is he really a defender?
KK does just not with pace

KK does just not with pace
KK was drafted as that loose half back that switches play and hits targets up field and a bit of dash. I’m not sure his kicking is up to that job. Like Fiorini, they don’t have penetration in their kicking but more floaters that take forever to reach the target. If he can’t defend like some on here are saying then what’s his future?

Weller is not HB , that's why Freo get Wilson . He can't really mark the ball ( as a Backmen) or make a spoil.

Last edited:
I thought KK played pretty well, other than early on when Darling monstered him. 9 overall marks, 2 contested marks, 14 disposal at 78%.

Remember him in the pack a few times floating across and taking marks.
His turnover is pretty bad (22%) in your inside 50 .

Yeah fair but if you look at some others DE% he is far from the worst.

Joyce went at 92%, he had almost the best game of his I can remember.
I don't like to look at DE sometime , a lot of players handball or kick to teammate with opposition closing in or nearby who is under more pressure to dispose the ball than them. Bombing up high is also consider efficient if you get a touch but not marking it .

His turnover is pretty bad (22%) in your inside 50 .
I don't think that stat should be interpreted that way. 78% efficiency is very good. The 22% you refer to is only partly turnovers such as kicking out of the full or shanking it directly to an opponent. He may have turned it over, but so did others. The question is do you keep him in a back 6 with 3 other talls and 2 smalls or replace him. Last year we had some success with 3 talls down back, with the 2 games against North being the best examples where we didn't have enough talls to lock down Brown and the return match we had May, Thompson and Leslie covering Brown, Waite and Daw. Last night we wouldn't have gone so badly if we had 3 talls and KK.
Weller is not HB , that's why Freo get Wilson . He can't really mark the ball ( as a Backmen) or make a spoil.
Weller played on the wing. I got confused between him and Harbrow a lot and the Commentators did too. He wasn't fantastic, but he was actually one of the best Gold coast players and was named in the official AFL Best 6 Suns.

I don't think that stat should be interpreted that way. 78% efficiency is very good. The 22% you refer to is only partly turnovers such as kicking out of the full or shanking it directly to an opponent. He may have turned it over, but so did others. The question is do you keep him in a back 6 with 3 other talls and 2 smalls or replace him. Last year we had some success with 3 talls down back, with the 2 games against North being the best examples where we didn't have enough talls to lock down Brown and the return match we had May, Thompson and Leslie covering Brown, Waite and Daw. Last night we wouldn't have gone so badly if we had 3 talls and KK.

Weller played on the wing. I got confused between him and Harbrow a lot and the Commentators did too. He wasn't fantastic, but he was actually one of the best Gold coast players and was named in the official AFL Best 6 Suns.
I am not saying weller did badly he could be more damaging in the forward line , eg replacing ainsworth . As for KK i prefer him to play further away from the backline .

I am not saying weller did badly he could be more damaging in the forward line , eg replacing ainsworth . As for KK i prefer him to play further away from the backline .
I agree on both counts. KK should be given a wing to play on and Weller could be excellent in the midfield rotating forward with guys like Swallow, Sexton and Martin, with 2 on the ball, one playing forward and the other resting. Stick any one of that group one out in the goal square behind Lynch or 2MP for a rest and, hopefully, a cheap goal. Either could always be switched back, but neither have established themselves in the best back 6 and it is time to move on without losing their specific skills.

I thought KK played pretty well, other than early on when Darling monstered him. 9 overall marks, 2 contested marks, 14 disposal at 78%.

Remember him in the pack a few times floating across and taking marks.
I'd rather see May coming across packs or as 3rd man up to spoil or mark knowing he had 2 big teammates to cover the opponents' tall threats. Joyce and Harbrow do a great job of rebounding and picking up the crumbs, but KK is just not cut out to be a tall defender like he was asked to be last night. Darling and Kennedy made him look ordinary and to his credit he played the game out with some classy touches.

Gee what a dark day for AFL Queensland two teams total loss 170 points.
Certainly taken the gloss of next weeks game with both sides now battling to avoid the wooden spoon race
with Carlton.
To walk in at half time with just 10 tackles says a lot about our mental and physical pressure all over the ground.
Do we blame the travelling schedule the stay over or simply not good enough.I think the latter.
We just don't have the high quality senior players to take us forward in a hurry.
Ritscha(sadly finished) Macpherson and Holman simply not good enough.
Others like Miller,Sexton,KK,Young,Fiorini yet to prove they are good good consistent footballers.
Disappointing to watch the way WC ran the ball out of the centre square with no pressure at all.
Only positives were Swallow -played his heart out.
Lynch looked dangerous -except for his brain fade near goal
Bowes showed much improved aggression and tried to make things happen.
Martin only player we have with top skill at the moment.
As I said earlier I believe we need to play and rotate our younger players throughout the year.
No way do Wright and Ah Chee come straight in--simply no where near fit enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or does anyone else think Ainsworth looks totally uninterested. He was really enthusiastic last year he looks flat as a tac ATM.

Certainly taken the gloss of next weeks game with both sides now battling to avoid the wooden spoon race
with Carlton.
To walk in at half time with just 10 tackles says a lot about our mental and physical pressure all over the ground.
Do we blame the travelling schedule the stay over or simply not good enough.I think the latter.
We just don't have the high quality senior players to take us forward in a hurry.
Others like Miller,Sexton,KK,Young,Fiorini yet to prove they are good good consistent footballers.
Disappointing to watch the way WC ran the ball out of the centre square with no pressure at all.
As I said earlier I believe we need to play and rotate our younger players throughout the year.

Fiorini is 20 and was one of our best
Touk Miller is a walk up for us but wouldn't get near any other best 22

Is it just me or does anyone else think Ainsworth looks totally uninterested. He was really enthusiastic last year he looks flat as a tac ATM.
Nah think he just had a slow start.
He always gives his all just look at the game on the weekend he was in the wars busted his nose early then got Knocked out

Ainsworth is being asked to play a role foreign to him and it is hard to evaluate his performance because neither he nor us really know what's going on. He's a hybrid mid and forward, but his decisions are rubbish and he really underperformed last night.
Fiorini is 20 and was one of our best
Touk Miller is a walk up for us but wouldn't get near any other best 22
Fiorini and Miller are developing players, so it is hard to judge them based on that performance where they were outplayed by opponents. Give them some time because the alternatives are even greener youth or past it veterans.
Nah think he just had a slow start.
He always gives his all just look at the game on the weekend he was in the wars busted his nose early then got Knocked out
Still not enough. With Ah Chee and Wright due back plus Nutting and Heron blazing in the NEAFL, Ainsworth needs to go.

with Carlton.
I don't agree with all you said, but you're spot on about most things.

If not Wright and Ah Chee, then who?

I think the WC easy ball through the middle often came from umpires not blowing the whistle. Play stops when players believe an infringement has been made, but WC constantly got the rub of calls and non-calls and the results often meant they would flow forward.

I don't agree with all you said, but you're spot on about most things.

If not Wright and Ah Chee, then who?

I think the WC easy ball through the middle often came from umpires not blowing the whistle. Play stops when players believe an infringement has been made, but WC constantly got the rub of calls and non-calls and the results often meant they would flow forward.
Maybe not all at once , i will like to bring in Crossley , Powell and Ballard one at a time. Crossley give witts some rest in the forward line , Powell provide backup for Ainsworth and Ah chee , Ballard (can play forward ,wing and Back) .

Maybe not all at once , i will like to bring in Crossley , Powell and Ballard one at a time. Crossley give witts some rest in the forward line , Powell provide backup for Ainsworth and Ah chee , Ballard (can play forward ,wing and Back) .
I like all of those picks, but not for now. Let them mature and show they can dominate in the NEAFL. Have a look at Nutting, who is fast and shows forward defensive pressure all day. Next in line is Heron, but he'll need to be elevated in place of Hanley and Dawson are in line for that role.

I like all of those picks, but not for now. Let them mature and show they can dominate in the NEAFL. Have a look at Nutting, who is fast and shows forward defensive pressure all day. Next in line is Heron, but he'll need to be elevated in place of Hanley and Dawson are in line for that role.
Forget about Nutting , Good height , the more academy players the better. Let them had a taste of AFL can always tell them what to work on going back to NeAFL if the pace is too fast.

Forget about Nutting , Good height , the more academy players the better. Let them had a taste of AFL can always tell them what to work on going back to NeAFL if the pace is too fast.
Nutting is an Academy player and he's had plenty of NEAFL experience. There's a reason we took took him in the draft and waited for the rookie draft for the others. He's consistently in the best on ground and has had a lightning start to the year.

I don't know what to think at this point to be honest.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back