Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you need a balance, the magic number is to average over 100 and restrict your opponent to under 80. To restrict a very damaging side like the Dogs on the pristine Docklands I think is a good sign, we played in hot and humid QLD conditions twice to date, hard to play that style in those conditions and we played the Dees in a hurricane which made it very easy to score at one end and hard to defend.

I think the positive is that there is still a lot of room for improvement, but we are banking the points which is good because we have a pretty tough draw and the confidence that winning gives you makes a big difference when you play the other decent teams.

All of our damaging players were sitting in the stands.

You can beat up on the poor teams through weight of possession, but against decent out-fits you need some class.. And the Bulldogs team on Friday night had very little of that.

So if the opposition is playing poorly due to your teams pressure, that isnt outcoaching?
No team other than Hawthorn has won more finals in the last two years than North. We are 3-zip at the MCG in that time too. The doggies failed their only test last year.
They didnt gungho as much on Friday night with Lachy Hunter setting up their attacks. His metres gained for 44 possessions was atrocious. We were happy to let him get the ball because no damage was conceded. Thats good coaching IMO
We beat Tigers there last year actually. Went 1-2 there in 2015.

Round 6, 2016
"Squiggle Madness"

95n5849.jpg

Animated!
jdx9J3m.gif

Hold on to your butts, because Hawthorn is bleeding, repeat, HAWTHORN IS BLEEDING. Suddenly we're back in the scary old days, like 2012, where Hawthorn isn't a sure thing for the Grand Final and we have premiership contenders coming out of our butts. I'm saying butts a lot. But WHAT THE BUTT IS HAPPENING.

This round was madness. All the teams that were out in front fell back a bit, and all the teams that were back a bit stepped forward, and the result is a stormfront of teams gathering outside the premiership zone. This is like one of those chemicals that explodes if you shake it too much: It will not take much for s**t to fly in all directions.

Then there's Richmond, who think this thread is called "RACE TO THE BOTTOM IN A STRAIGHT FRICKING LINE." I'm really glad I started doing this, Richmond, so I could chart your disgrace in 24-bit colour. That's why I did it.

GWS have put together three of the more explosive weeks in modern squiggle history, capped with the immolation of Hawthorn. The only way this game could have been more symbolic was if Hodge literally passed a flaming torch to Cameron at half time, who king-hit him with it.

North and Geelong did exactly the right thing, but in the opposite way, complementing recent strong attack with a solid defensive effort, and vice versa. Now, thanks to the Cats' generous fixture, this might happen:

ByPQ7B4.png

But look at that! One sneeze and 1st could slide down to 8th. Or 5th to 1st. The top 8 all have a percentage between 120 and 140. And then there's a 6-game gap between 8th and 10th! Let me say that again. SIX BUTTING GAMES BETWEEN 8th AND 10th. Then between 10th and 17th: two games. Madness.

And Essendon aren't that bad. Not yet, anyway. You would think we'd have one sure thing to cling to this season, like Essendon getting belted every week, but it hasn't happened. Sure, they're the worst team in the comp at the moment, but they're a lot better than Melbourne were three years ago. And Melbourne three years ago were better than GWS. Who are now scary.

Flagpole!

4Z7ANea.gif

The Hawks are still #1. If they didn't have Richmond next week, I'd think it might possibly be the last time I say that. They're hanging on by the barest of margins. But they do have Richmond, and will probably annihilate them, and have been too good too recently to write off yet. But still, for Hawthorn, this is real back-to-the-pack stuff. They haven't been lower than #1 on Flagpole for four years.

"May you live in interesting times," the saying goes. It's supposed to be a curse.

Live squiggle, for all your interactive squiggling needs.

I might buy that if the Bulldogs had beaten anyone of note but Freo Brisbane Carlton and St Kilda aren't exactly a group of world beaters.
We kicked 103 pts v Freo in Rd 1, who on previous years would rarely give up that kind of score. Now it's being shown that it isn't a true and accurate assessment but at the time, it was completely unexpected.

Round 6, 2016
"Squiggle Madness"

95n5849.jpg

Animated!
jdx9J3m.gif

Hold on to your butts, because Hawthorn is bleeding, repeat, HAWTHORN IS BLEEDING. Suddenly we're back in the scary old days, like 2012, where Hawthorn isn't a sure thing for the Grand Final and we have premiership contenders coming out of our butts. I'm saying butts a lot. But WHAT THE BUTT IS HAPPENING.

This round was madness. All the teams that were out in front fell back a bit, and all the teams that were back a bit stepped forward, and the result is a stormfront of teams gathering outside the premiership zone. This is like one of those chemicals that explodes if you shake it too much: It will not take much for s**t to fly in all directions.

Then there's Richmond, who think this thread is called "RACE TO THE BOTTOM IN A STRAIGHT FRICKING LINE." I'm really glad I started doing this, Richmond, so I could chart your disgrace in 24-bit colour. That's why I did it.

GWS have put together three of the more explosive weeks in modern squiggle history, capped with the immolation of Hawthorn. The only way this game could have been more symbolic was if Hodge literally passed a flaming torch to Cameron at half time, who king-hit him with it.

North and Geelong did exactly the right thing, but in the opposite way, complementing recent strong attack with a solid defensive effort, and vice versa. Now, thanks to the Cats' generous fixture, this might happen:

ByPQ7B4.png

But look at that! One sneeze and 1st could slide down to 8th. Or 5th to 1st. The top 8 all have a percentage between 120 and 140. And then there's a 6-game gap between 8th and 10th! Let me say that again. SIX BUTTING GAMES BETWEEN 8th AND 10th. Then between 10th and 17th: two games. Madness.

And Essendon aren't that bad. Not yet, anyway. You would think we'd have one sure thing to cling to this season, like Essendon getting belted every week, but it hasn't happened. Sure, they're the worst team in the comp at the moment, but they're a lot better than Melbourne were three years ago. And Melbourne three years ago were better than GWS. Who are now scary.

Flagpole!

4Z7ANea.gif

The Hawks are still #1. If they didn't have Richmond next week, I'd think it might possibly be the last time I say that. They're hanging on by the barest of margins. But they do have Richmond, and will probably annihilate them, and have been too good too recently to write off yet. But still, for Hawthorn, this is real back-to-the-pack stuff. They haven't been lower than #1 on Flagpole for four years.

"May you live in interesting times," the saying goes. It's supposed to be a curse.

So we gave up chasing adelaide in order to chase the eagles... what is our obsession with birds at the moment

are the Eagles now the team that is cloest to the premiership zone? Doesnt seem right.

Bulldogs and Geelong have made a big switch which was predictable given the dogs injuries and Geelong starting to fire. Geelongs squiggle could be closest to the premiership zone after next week but still 4th on the flagpole. Strange.

Hawthorns predicted percentage after round 23 is generous. Currently going at 91% or something. Need some huge wins to get back up to 120% by end of year.

I keep a couple of spreadsheets that use the current ladder to show who is ranked where comparatively ... I just applied it to the Squiggles "Regular Season Form" ladder from the Flagpole page ...

squiggle.png

48_squiggle.png

If the Squiggle is right (which of course it is) then:
  • Maybe let's not write off the Hawks just yet?
  • North and Geelong have had a pretty good run so far, but get tested from now on
  • Collingwood are in for some pain
  • GWS, Saints, Brisbane should all improve from here
Here are the same spreadsheets using the actual round 6 ladder:

round6_1.png

round6_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
All of our damaging players were sitting in the stands.

You can beat up on the poor teams through weight of possession, but against decent out-fits you need some class.. And the Bulldogs team on Friday night had very little of that.

If the only class you have was in the stands, pack up and go home, you will just be making up the numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 6, 2016
"Squiggle Madness"

95n5849.jpg

Animated!
jdx9J3m.gif

ByPQ7B4.png

Flagpole!

4Z7ANea.gif

I literally LOL'd multiple times reading that post, especially Richmond's race to the bottom and Cameron's king hit. You can certainly tell you're a writer. :D

^^^ you need your own thread to which ill subscribe.

Make it.

Seconded

I keep a couple of spreadsheets that use the current ladder to show who is ranked where comparatively ... I just applied it to the Squiggles "Regular Season Form" ladder from the Flagpole page ...

View attachment 242382

View attachment 242383

If the Squiggle is right (which of course it is) then:
  • Maybe let's not write off the Hawks just yet?
  • North and Geelong have had a pretty good run so far, but get tested from now on
  • Collingwood are in for some pain
  • GWS, Saints, Brisbane should all improve from here
Here are the same spreadsheets using the actual round 6 ladder:

View attachment 242387

View attachment 242388
It's time for BigFooty to become BigData

Make the next big thread

Very strange year in that the top 8 almost seems sorted just 6 rounds into a 22 round season. Obviously there's still plenty of time for a team outside the 8 to put in a Richmond 2014 effort, but you'd be a brave man to expect any outside the 8 to make it from here.

It's equally strange in that there doesn't seem to be a stand-out favourite after the Hawks got belted this week. Fun times ahead.

Round 6, 2016
"Squiggle Madness"

95n5849.jpg

Animated!
jdx9J3m.gif

ByPQ7B4.png

Flagpole!

4Z7ANea.gif

my Suns. My Suns. Why you not know how to squiggle?!.

I don't know whether to offer condolences or die laughing; good line.

Right. Aussie Rules is very unusual in that you get a LOT of information from the scores alone. They're higher than any sport that's coming to mind right now, with the exception of cricket, which is full of scoring shenanigans like declarations and one team getting more play time than the other.

I had a look at NFL a while ago, but even then, there's not enough granularity, with scorelines like 20-3. You just can't draw good conclusions from the scoreline. Soccer would be madness.

I would think that it work pretty well with basketball. The top scores are probably not quite as high as AFL, but the scoring is more granular.

Everyone, I just make a few manual adjustments to all club positions on the squiggle graph based on some of the stuff that can't be calculated - phases of rebuilds, game plans with glaring deficiencies, key players out, etc, and to my shock, Carlton is the new flag favourite.

I'd never have guessed this - not sure if squiggle is broken?

squiggle ladder.png

I've included the graph for fault-finding purposes:

Weird squiggle.png

Everyone, I just make a few manual adjustments to all club positions on the squiggle graph based on some of the stuff that can't be calculated - phases of rebuilds, game plans with glaring deficiencies, key players out, etc, and to my shock, Carlton is the new flag favourite.

View attachment 242479

View attachment 242476
Richmond aren't ninth......failed attempt at trolling ;);););)

View attachment 242479

View attachment 242476
Id take a Qualifying Final against Carlton :thumbsu:;)

Freo squiggle really starting reflect them dropping anchor.

Second half of season is going to be a cracker based on the squiggles forecast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back