North Melbourne
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I’m referring to the way the PM has handled this situation. It’s embarrassing

Albanese or DiNatale would have been more "statesman" like?

This is all just whining for its own sake.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Albanese or DiNatale would have been more "statesman" like?

This is all just whining for its own sake.

****ed if I know. They’re not the leader of the country tho are they?

Hey maybe if Labour got in and the budget was raised instead of slashed we wouldn’t be in so much trouble? Those arguments all a bit ‘if your auntie had balls she’d be your uncle’ to me.

And no? What has he done right? He’s completely cocked it up. Zero leadership skills.

Edit- I also don’t know what you mean by lies from both sides? We only have one PM.
Mobilised the adf, informed the public of what they needed to do from a federal standpoint and provided the $6000 grants. He and his media team ballsed up the holiday stuff and he should be providing more emergency funding, but the holiday coverage was way oversensationalised for what it was.

The fire service are state responsibilities and under the purview of state governments, so the federal government is there for guidance, legislation, emergency budget help for states and mobilising the adf. These are all things that have been done to varying degrees by Morrison. Not sure what else people expect beyond some additional emergency funding and a better media team.

With the climate stuff, Australia could have had 0% carbon emissions for 10 years, it still would made no difference to this year’s fires as we only contribute 1.2-1.5% of total emissions. Budgets for the fire services are state responsibilities, which weren’t close to the 75% cuts for NSW. There were planned cuts of 15% for nsw for the 2019-20 period, which won’t happen anyway with new emergency funding, and there had been increases every year before that for at least 4 years. There are in the budget reports, not hard to find. That is what I partially meant by lies.

By lies, I also meant the petty garbage by Barnaby Joyce and then the greens stupidly endorsing a view about domestic violence and firefighters using bogus studies.

Last edited:

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes and no.

There’s been a lot of lies, sensationalising and politicising during the entire saga, from both sides. It’s been nothing short of disgusting and has made me quite angry and frustrated, so that’s why I’ll leave it alone for now.
people simply cannot help themselves trying to get a free kick out of any disaster, weather it be Howards tampa or Elbow trying to suggest fire and policing are federal issues.

people simply cannot help themselves trying to get a free kick out of any disaster, weather it be Howards tampa or Elbow trying to suggest fire and policing are federal issues.
I understand the frustration and at least Morrison apologised for his Bega trip, people just needed to vent at a symbol like him and it’s perfectly understandable.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
By lies, I also meant the petty garbage by Barnaby Joyce and then the greens stupidly endorsing a view about domestic violence and firefighters using bogus studies.

All facilitated by the industry that perishes the moment it has lost your attention.

1578040366241.png

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Don’t get me started again, it’ll be the gender thread all over again.

Why do you think the common folk are "outraged" by bullshit they can barely understand?

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I understand the frustration and at least Morrison apologised for his Bega trip, people just needed to vent at a symbol like him and it’s perfectly understandable.
realisticaly people are finding scapegoats in many different forms at the moment. personally iam relativly happy that the focus on fire safety has really shifted from stay and defend prior to black saturday, to evacuate, and conversely i beleive we have seen a drop in the fatalities. of course you cannot force people to leave and some will chose to chance a defence for many different reasons.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Fire at Katamatite - hope all is well Gasometer !

Well you wouldn’t know because of the other smoke up here

I was actually at Bunnings attempting to save my veggie garden from imminent destruction from lack of water. Checked the back shed tank and it’s 3/4 full and so set up a soaking hose gravity fed/timer arrangement.

All in the hope that my August tomato seedlings take me back to the way tomatoes used to taste

DYK that the only good tasting tomatoes I have tasted in 20 years were those I ate in Rome in October 2014. Go figure

Anywho Tef is correct, most paddocks are bare. It’s the sides of roads and State Parks that are looked at with trepidation

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
There needs to be a clearing zone around the major roads - no trees should be within 50 meters of freeways. There needs to be 2 points of entry/exit, people need to adhere to fire safe instead of waiting till after the event.
Enough warning was given but everyone did f... all.
What’s happended will prompt change, I just hope it’s not too late for some towns.
You need to be here to see the impact

Yep, same up here, the sides of roads are a frickin disgrace

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, same up here, the sides of roads are a frickin disgrace
i think a lot of the problem is the shires refuse to take responsibility for them, i have has a running battle with our shire over the road reserve which they are responsible for, but they just fob you off stating the contractor they have engaged to maintain the reserve has responsibility. problem is that you have no recourse with the contractor and he has no answerability to you the rate payer. we have has a dangerous limb in a tree crown from a storm event 8 months ago and neither the council or the contractor is prepared to address it. noxious weeds are another problem, the reserve is littered with blackberries, English ivy and holly which is all encroaching on our property, nothing gets done, then they send you a flier every year reminding you of your responsibility to maintain your land noxious weed free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back