Play Nice Random Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

I am a bit biased with my OCD, but I definitely agree about mindfulness sometimes makes people obsess on unhealthy thoughts. I always struggled with mindfulness, except as an occasional analytical tool to identify deep-seated issues.

Instead of mindfulness, I learned to accept what is in my control and what isn’t. Accepting that many things are outside my control, and accepting that nothing is 100% certain, has worked personal wonders for me.
i don't get what mindfulness tm is, but I'm pretty into Buddhist concepts like self awareness and self observation and they seem similar.

I found this article jarringly weird and wondered if anyone else did to be honest. For example this:

Why is that? Mindfulness can help us to be more effective and act more intentionally, but becoming more aware of unpleasant feelings that we had been ignoring can also be uncomfortable and even harmful. For example, mindfulness can help smokers cut back by helping them to notice that cigarettes taste bad. That’s a net positive in most cases, since it helps them achieve their larger goal of quitting — but it does mean that in the moment, cigarettes are likely to taste worse to them (since mindfulness increases awareness of negative sensations).

The bolded ... that is the whole point of the process he is describing.

I think being self aware is good. Obsessing over your physical movement while learning a technique and as a result being aware of every motion you can or every muscular contraction is the way to perfect a technique or eliminate errors you learned when you were young. Its not easy tho. But i don't know enough about what "corporate mindfulness" is.

I found the end of the article a bit disturbing:

Surface acting tends to be unpleasant because it takes a lot of work to display emotions that are inconsistent with your actual feelings. In contrast, studies have shown that deep acting — that is, the practice of actually changing how you feel to match the needs of your organization — can be an effective strategy for displaying the required emotions without negatively impacting job satisfaction and wellbeing.

Until you practice mindfulness again and wonder how you became such an inauthentic fake?

Is that really a shorthand way of saying "If your job sucks and you find it morally repugnant, then just change your morals and you'll feel better about it."

The authors give the example of a nurse but really this is more applicable to people working for banks and selling bullshit loans to pensioners.

i don't get what mindfulness tm is, but I'm pretty into Buddhist concepts like self awareness and self observation and they seem similar.

I found this article jarringly weird and wondered if anyone else did to be honest. For example this:

Why is that? Mindfulness can help us to be more effective and act more intentionally, but becoming more aware of unpleasant feelings that we had been ignoring can also be uncomfortable and even harmful. For example, mindfulness can help smokers cut back by helping them to notice that cigarettes taste bad. That’s a net positive in most cases, since it helps them achieve their larger goal of quitting — but it does mean that in the moment, cigarettes are likely to taste worse to them (since mindfulness increases awareness of negative sensations).

The bolded ... that is the whole point of the process he is describing.

I think being self aware is good. Obsessing over your physical movement while learning a technique and as a result being aware of every motion you can or every muscular contraction is the way to perfect a technique or eliminate errors you learned when you were young. Its not easy tho. But i don't know enough about what "corporate mindfulness" is.

I found the end of the article a bit disturbing:

Until you practice mindfulness again and wonder how you became such an inauthentic fake?

Is that really a shorthand way of saying "If your job sucks and you find it morally repugnant, then just change your morals and you'll feel better about it."

The authors give the example of a nurse but really this is more applicable to people working for banks and selling bullshit loans to pensioners.
There seems to be an agenda with that last bit about deep acting. I don’t think it is a healthy long-term tactic.

You know what really makes me angry? The entitlement of some ‘counsellors’.

To start off I have ADHD and I get anxious a lot. Last year in year 12 I was going through a really hard time and I reached out to the school counsellors as it was easier than going out of school. Anyways they recommended Headspace to me and I did all the admin stuff and the intro session.

I get into my 2nd session and the counsellor and I are talking about why I’m anxious. I have a very hard time explaining my feelings, everything goes really fast inside my head so it’s hard to find the right words. So I’m trying to explain and he hangs up on me :// and does not bother to ring me back or even follow up with me.

I then tried to explain to him that I need time to explain my thoughts and feelings but he was inconsiderate ://

Thanks for listening to my mini rant, sending peace and love.

To start off I have ADHD and I get anxious a lot. Last year in year 12 I was going through a really hard time and I reached out to the school counsellors as it was easier than going out of school. Anyways they recommended Headspace to me and I did all the admin stuff and the intro session.

I get into my 2nd session and the counsellor and I are talking about why I’m anxious. I have a very hard time explaining my feelings, everything goes really fast inside my head so it’s hard to find the right words. So I’m trying to explain and he hangs up on me :// and does not bother to ring me back or even follow up with me.

I then tried to explain to him that I need time to explain my thoughts and feelings but he was inconsiderate ://

Probably best to speak to someone outside the education system.

Probably best to speak to someone outside the education system.

Yeah i just got through it but it was with headspace which doesn’t have good reviews by other teens (which I found out after). I guess it’s due to funding

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

• National People’s Congress Standing Committee votes 167-0 to endorse proposal that will slash number of directly elected seats in Legislative Council, create vetting body to determine who can stand for election
  • Beijing-controlled Election Committee to send 40 representatives to Legco, which is expanding from 70 to 90 seats; national security police unit will help scrutinise candidates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• National People’s Congress Standing Committee votes 167-0 to endorse proposal that will slash number of directly elected seats in Legislative Council, create vetting body to determine who can stand for election
  • Beijing-controlled Election Committee to send 40 representatives to Legco, which is expanding from 70 to 90 seats; national security police unit will help scrutinise candidates
really beggers the question why have elections at all if its just a charade...

Looks like they've been taking tips on how to run elections from the NMFC board.

Nice. Where's that?

Nice-France.jpg

Christ im old

Go shopping for a shrink who will prescribe you dexies.

It will fix everything.

The wheel will spin so fast that it appears to stand still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back